Send Topic Print
No spark🤬 (Read 95 times)
Coleman118
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

No spark🤬
09/06/23 at 16:24:27

I bought a 87 650 savage off my buddy it had been passed down through a few friends and definitely a mechanics special each one had messed with it in their own way when I got it he had it sitting for a few months but before it had ran. Fast forward I get it no spark so I get a new battery no spark check ignition coil and was gunky and broken so I replaced it. Still no spark so new spark, plug no spark so another new spark plug, no spark so I have gone over this harness a bunch and read this forum up and down trying to follow all the recommendations from other no sparks but can’t find what was wrong with my basic knowledge and learning in the go. so I checked the pick up it was reading fine in the multimeter so was the stator from what I could tell with limited info. Also has a new starter solenoid. So I opted to just get in to replace the stator because when I pulled the cap for the left crank case cover it smelt kinda just burned and read a bunch of dudes opted to replace stator and they got sparks so hey why not right. We’ll still no spark then cleaning up after putting the crank cover back on and giving up for the night I found a snap washer on the ground under the bike and didn’t remember seeing it fall but remember reading about if it doesn’t have a washer on either side of the front idler gear it wouldn’t function properly so I drained the oil today and pulled the case and yup no washers on either side of gear but also can’t find mention in the clymer of washers for it and am curious if this has to do with me not getting spark possibly? Also if so it looks like I need to get another washer and wondered if anyone knew what thickness washer and hole diameter for the shaft or if I can just use another snap ring I’ll include photos

IP Logged
Coleman118
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Re: No spark🤬
Reply #1 - 09/06/23 at 16:25:49

Gear with snap ring on front

image_359.jpg
  IP Logged
Coleman118
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #2 - 09/06/23 at 16:30:22

Also does anyone know if I need to align these painted marks in any sort of way there is also one on the center bolt

IP Logged
verslagen1
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

Where there's a
will, I want to be
in it.

L.A. California
Reply #3 - 09/06/23 at 17:21:55

Normally, on that year, there's no retaining ring.
Has it been modified to have the torque limiter gear?
Doesn't look like it to me.
Extra washers or that retaining ring will just bind up the gear if there's no clearance.

I think the paint marks are just QC marks, they're not needed for anything and there are similar marks elsewhere.

Caution, powering up the ignition system for hours on end will burn up the ig module (TCI, transistor controlled ignition)

If I remember correctly, basic ignition theory 101, apply 12v to the coil and break the ground connection you should get a spark... just wet your finger tips.   Smiley

BIT 102, you should get a volt or 2 from the pick up.

For testing, you don't need the stator hooked up.  Just charge the battery when needed.
You need at least 10v at the battery while starting or it won't start.

WWW   IP Logged
Coleman118
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #4 - 09/06/23 at 17:48:42

So for the 87 no washers necessary?.

Ok so back to chasing the no spark I have a 12.6 volt charge on my battery still no spark at plug.  I read that about this system I’ve been very careful to only try for like 10 minutes here and there when I kick battery on.  

So I should get a volt or two off of pick up with no power on and what’s the ohm reading for these stators ? The old stator read at a 1.1 across all terminals and so does the new one 🤦🏼‍♂️

Just been tryna get the spark back ⚡️

IP Logged
verslagen1
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

Where there's a
will, I want to be
in it.

L.A. California
Reply #5 - 09/06/23 at 18:56:09

Coleman118 wrote on 09/06/23 at 17:48:42:
So for the 87 no washers necessary?.

no washers
Quote:
Ok so back to chasing the no spark I have a 12.6 volt charge on my battery still no spark at plug.  I read that about this system I’ve been very careful to only try for like 10 minutes here and there when I kick battery on.

that's good, don't know how long you can go.  but 10 on 10 off sounds about right.
Quote:

So I should get a volt or two off of pick up with no power on and what’s the ohm reading for these stators ? The old stator read at a 1.1 across all terminals and so does the new one 🤦🏼‍♂️

Just been tryna get the spark back ⚡️

yeah the ohm reading will be low
you'll get some voltage when rotating the crank.
disconnect the rectifier and you get over 100 v between the coils and the common.

WWW   IP Logged
Coleman118
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #6 - 09/06/23 at 19:58:33

So you’re saying to disconnect the rectifier and test the rectifier at the plugs where it meets the stator or to test the stator for voltage?

IP Logged
verslagen1
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

Where there's a
will, I want to be
in it.

L.A. California
Reply #7 - 09/06/23 at 20:47:27

Coleman118 wrote on 09/06/23 at 19:58:33:
So you’re saying to disconnect the rectifier and test the rectifier at the plugs where it meets the stator or to test the stator for voltage?

rectifier doesn't generate volts

WWW   IP Logged
Coleman118
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #8 - 09/08/23 at 11:56:33

Ok so are you saying hand rotate that crank bolt and test for voltage at the plug ?

IP Logged
verslagen1
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

Where there's a
will, I want to be
in it.

L.A. California
Reply #9 - 09/08/23 at 12:53:55

Coleman118 wrote on 09/08/23 at 11:56:33:
Ok so are you saying hand rotate that crank bolt and test for voltage at the plug ?

It'll take a running engine to test the stator output.
I think it's over 100v at 4000 rpm

WWW   IP Logged
Coleman118
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #10 - 09/10/23 at 15:45:06

Ah I see…well my engine doesn’t run as I have a no spark issue I’m trying to figure out I was hoping replacing the stator and pick up would resolve this as the new ignition coil didn’t help and from what I’ve been reading and trying to follow I believe all my switches are connected and grounded.

IP Logged
Coleman118
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

No spark
Reply #11 - 11/25/23 at 14:17:46

Would the decomp solenoid be a reason I have no spark? Have wires exposed on my current one and have been chasing my tail tryna get this thing to spark I’ve replaced battery, ignition coil, stator, and pickup coil have not replaced cdi box,have not replaced decompression solenoid or relay, have not replaced regulator rectifier. Not sure what else I have to check and really would love to get this bike started so I can start learning how to actually ride. Decomp relay does make a click noise but haven’t actually used a relay tester on it yet. Anyway any help would be appreciated really hoping it isn’t cdi and am trying to eliminate all other options.

IP Logged
verslagen1
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

Where there's a
will, I want to be
in it.

L.A. California
Re: No spark
Reply #12 - 11/25/23 at 16:46:30

nope, decomp doesn't create spark unless it's shorted to ground.

WWW   IP Logged
DragBikeMike
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Honolulu
Reply #13 - 11/25/23 at 19:08:25

What year is your bike?  If you have a late model, this old post may be helpful.  It provides resistance readings in both directions.  The readings were taken on a known good igniter box.

http://suzukisavage.com/cgi-bin/YaBB.pl?num=1664419265

Good luck.

Knowledge is power.
  IP Logged
Coleman118
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #14 - 11/25/23 at 20:08:48

Mine is an 87 the current igniter on it is a 9 pin

IP Logged