Donate!
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register :: View Members
Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print
Rear wheel feels squirrelly in corners (Read 177 times)
Surviving Philly

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Re: Rear wheel feels squirrelly in corners
Reply #15 - 08/07/23 at 11:15:47

You the real MVP vers thank you

IP Logged
DragBikeMike
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Honolulu
Reply #16 - 08/07/23 at 11:24:29

While the pulley wobble is an aggravating problem, I doubt that it will affect your handling.  It causes the obnoxious noise/whine associated with belt misalignment, but it shouldn't affect rear wheel alignment or cause the rear wheel to be loose.

Changing to the double-row bearing is a great modification.  I've got over 50K on my Bejing bearing and it's still smooth as silk, and the pulley is wobble free.

You should be looking at stuff like your rear wheel bearings, swing arm bearings, tires, shocks, steering head bearings, etc.

Ohiomoto, WOW, that is one majorly cracked swingarm.  That thing looks flat-out dangerous.  Did you fix or replace?

Knowledge is power.
  IP Logged
Surviving Philly

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #17 - 08/07/23 at 11:33:46

Hey Mike thank you for confirming this suspicion -- while checking alignment and tracking and everything I discovered my aftermarket exhaust, while I knew it was very close to the wheel, was actually hitting the wheel while in corners particularly when leaning to the right -- I've since pulled it away and actually have the thing secured with aircraft clamps to the subframe mount so it's well clear of the wheel and I think this solved the handling issues.

But when I noticed the amount of pully play I kind of freaked out

IP Logged
Armen
Serious Thumper

Half-Witted
Wrench-Jockey from
Jersey

Reply #18 - 08/07/23 at 13:20:52

If you do the ‘double wide’ bearing. You’ll need to modify the left spacer.
I do that, and have a few in stock ready to ship.
All the cool kids use them Smiley

In theory, theory and reality are the same. In reality, they aren't...
  IP Logged
Surviving Philly

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #19 - 08/07/23 at 14:37:49

Armen do you provide the bearing along with the modified spacer? If so how much all said and done?

Appreciated

IP Logged
ohiomoto
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #20 - 08/07/23 at 15:42:49

@DBM  I just swapped it out with another swingarm.  Luckily, I had a spare.

IP Logged
Armen
Serious Thumper

Half-Witted
Wrench-Jockey from
Jersey

Reply #21 - 08/07/23 at 18:55:54

Hey Philly,
I don’t supply the bearing. Just look on Ebay or check with your bearing supplier.
$20 plus shipping makes it $30. I use a Priority box because the Post Office ate the one I sent in a padded envelope.
You have to send me your old one when you do the swap.
Shoot me a PM with your info and I’ll send it out this week.
You can use Paypal ‘Friends and Family’, or mail me a check. Or throw cash in the box with the spacer when you send yours back.
Folks on this list are pretty honorable, I’ve found.
If you are interested in the Kawasaki front pulley, do them both at the same time and save labor and postage. i have those in stock as well.
LMK

In theory, theory and reality are the same. In reality, they aren't...
  IP Logged
springman
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Spring, Texas
Reply #22 - 08/09/23 at 15:23:33

I did this mod recently and the bearing from ebay was under $20.00.

I'll throw in my 2 cents on the kawi front pulley conversion. I did that mod a few years ago and yes your rpm at highway speeds do drop a bit. I have actually considered undoing the mod though as you do give up a bit in the acceleration which I miss since my engine is stock. I believe this conversion is best for people that have done engine upgrades and have a bit more power. But if you plan to do a lot of highway riding and don't mind giving up a bit of your acceleration, then it is a good mod.

06 S40 seat mod, airhawk, HD muffler, Shinko 712 140-90-15 rear tire, Shinko 230 front tire, versy cam chain tensioner, Rotella oil, Volar brake pads, EBC clutch & springs
  IP Logged
Tocsik
Serious Thumper

the singularity

Denver, CO
Reply #23 - 08/09/23 at 19:20:49

+1 on springman's opinion of the kawa pulley. I've had it for 17K miles and it does help when I jump on the highway. And my bike still actually does great up in the mountains of Colorado. But I can't get my belt loose enough and it worries me all the time. Also considering going back to stock, but that's not a dig against the conversion. It's still nice.

But the double row bearing is fantastic and is easy peasey. I did the trick throwing the rear hub in the grill for a bit to heat it up and the old one fell right out with barely any tapping. Don't tap on the new one! I shot it it with a heat gun right away to rewarm it and the new one dropped right in.

'08|Raptor|Dyna|Stock jets & no other carb changes @ 5280' alt|'slavy CCT|Kawa front pulley|130/90 rear tire|7" LED headlight|3" straight risers|FIAMM El Grande horns|Mutazu hard bags
  IP Logged
Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
09/20/24 at 19:46:29

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › Rear wheel feels squirrelly in corners

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.