Send Topic Print
Ran out of gas. (Read 81 times)
GhostRider210
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Ran out of gas.
08/04/23 at 14:48:48

And that was when the trouble started. The bike has been running great since I bought it in November. I was unaware of the Prime setting on the petcock and may have been running it and leaving it in that setting. Adding to my issues, I ran misread the petcock and ran the tank dry while on Reserve. Dang! A farmer gave me some gas and the bike started but would not rev out of idle, which it would only do while fully choked (even though it was warm). After a few minutes of it running like this, it would only turn over and not start. I got it home on a trailer.
The air box was a puddle of thick, oily, gas stuff. I cleaned that out, swapped the spark plug, and changed the oil/filter, and drained the gas. The gas looked green and had a thick clear layer in the container at the bottom (water?). I removed the petcock, and flushed the tank with more clean gas.
I pulled the carb and cleaned it. The bowl drained out a mix of gas and some of that clear liquid. I just finished cleaning all of the jets and will install the carb tomorrow. I just hope the engine isn’t damaged. I want my bike back!

IP Logged
och
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Re: Ran out of gas.
Reply #1 - 08/04/23 at 18:37:35

Hopefully the bike is fine, but you should also change to a Yamaha Raptor petcock once you are at it, make sure to get the genuine one, not a knock off on ebay/amazon.

IP Logged
GhostRider210
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #2 - 08/04/23 at 19:33:46

Does anyone have a link to the Yamaha Raptor petcock? My search on Amazon produced a variety of results that ranged in price.

IP Logged
verslagen1
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

Where there's a
will, I want to be
in it.

L.A. California
Reply #3 - 08/04/23 at 22:03:22

This is the Raptor part no.  5LP-24500-01-00
2003 Yamaha Raptor 660 YFM660R

WWW   IP Logged
Dave
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Camp Springs, Kentucky
Reply #4 - 08/05/23 at 03:31:34

Someday I will be old......But not today!

IP Logged
GhostRider210
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #5 - 08/05/23 at 05:55:39

Great. Thanks. I found it on Amazon and for a couple bucks more, I’ll have it here on Monday.

NEW YAMAHA RAPTOR 660 YFM 660R OEM FUEL VALVE SHUTOFF PETCOCK 5LP-24500-01-00 https://a.co/d/9Ur7kbw

IP Logged
Dave
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Camp Springs, Kentucky
Reply #6 - 08/05/23 at 13:16:28

Be sure it comes in a white box from Yamaha.  The fuel outlet should have a single flared end.

The photo in the Amazon link you provided has two machined ribs....that is a photo of the Chinese copy.

Someday I will be old......But not today!

IP Logged
ThumperPaul
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Houston, Texas
Reply #7 - 08/06/23 at 11:25:43

Maybe the clear liquid is the farmer's moonshine?  Sounds like you've taken the appropriate steps.  When you got down to empty, the petcock (with screen filter) probably clogged up trying to suck down the bottom of the barrel trash (rust, junk, etc...).  I bought a really cheap petcock with the same size fuel line outlet and I haven't had any issues.  If it only last 1 year, we'll see...

Here's a link to the El Cheapo petcock valve I'm using...

https://www.ebay.com/itm/282244180769

IP Logged
ohiomoto
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #8 - 08/06/23 at 17:20:05

Gravity-style petcocks are simple.  I would be more concerned with getting one that fits properly than where I got it.

My bike had a cheap knockoff petcock on it when I bought it.  I worked fine.  only replaced it because the outlet was too small for the OEM fuel line.  I replaced mine with a genuine Yamaha part because I knew it fit.  

IP Logged
GhostRider210
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #9 - 08/07/23 at 17:08:19

Success! The new petcock that I ordered from Amazon is, in fact, a Yamaha part and it works great. With the new plug, oil/filter, fresh gas, cleaned carb the bike is transformed. A metallic clanging sound in the exhaust is gone. The bike runs much smoother at higher RPM's and is backfiring much less (if at all). It's a dream to ride (even more than before). Thank you for all of your help - this site has been instrumental.
Side note: the battery cover does not sit/seal on the battery case because I think there was a tool kit in there at one time. Anyone know if these are still available? I am less interested in the actual tools than I am in protecting the battery from the elements.
Thanks.

IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
09/20/24 at 17:50:28

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › Ran out of gas.

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.