Serious Thumper

Younger than most
people my age.

Minn
Wankel
07/16/23 at 16:49:10

Reading about the new Wankel engine.

'Now, pay attention," schools Shkolnik. "Electric cars will not save us."

“There’s a lot of misconceptions about electric cars,” said Shkolnik.

“MPGe (mile per gallon equivalent) used by the EPA only considers the energy as the electron leaves the battery and powers your wheels.

Completely neglected is how the electron got into your battery.

And that most people plug into the grid—which burns a lot of fossil fuel. The 1,200- or 1,400-pound battery takes an enormous amount of resources and enough CO2 goes into its production that it takes about 12 years for an electric car to catch up with a diesel car in terms of its CO 2 footprint. An electric car starts in a CO2 hole. We think the right solution is a hybrid engine."

Ben Franklin once said: "If you give up a freedom, for the sake of security, you will have neither".
Which is More TRUE, today, than yesterday.('06, S-40, Stock) well, mostly .
  IP Logged
Eegore
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Re: Wankel
Reply #1 - 07/16/23 at 18:08:58

I recall this conversation from him back in 2021.  The logic that an EV doesn't need to have the heavy battery load made sense for most drivers, thus the hybrid engine.

The problem with using years and not miles to calculate Co2 footprint is a guy driving 100 miles a day will equal out 10 times faster than a guy driving 10 miles a day.  But 12 years sounds so much better than saying the miles needed when you want to sell your engine.

IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

East Texas, 1/2 dallas/la.
Reply #2 - 07/16/23 at 18:14:39

https://news.yahoo.com/texans-asked-set-thermostats-78-192800976.html

But buy the electric cars??

Lefties can't even figure this out,,

The people never give up their liberties but under some delusion.- Edmund Burke.
  IP Logged
MnSpring
Serious Thumper

Younger than most
people my age.

Minn
Reply #3 - 07/16/23 at 19:11:05

"... An electric car starts in a CO2 hole. ..."

How many miles for a MOSTLY plastic component car with a huge battery ?

How many miles for a EV, (like the Chev Bolt) which is OLD technology that Tesla sold them.

How many miles for the battery to be mined and shipped, to get out of the 'hole' ?

Exactly how many miles does it take,
      to get out of that
EV only hole ?

Ben Franklin once said: "If you give up a freedom, for the sake of security, you will have neither".
  IP Logged
Eegore
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #4 - 07/16/23 at 21:33:08

Exactly how many miles does it take,
     to get out of that
EV only hole ?

There's a very complex system for calculating this.  It typically takes factoring in the energy generation methods of the area providing power once the vehicle is operational, the vehicle type and efficiency, battery type/efficiency and maintenance.  

Typically an EV will over it's lifetime, have a lower Co2 footprint than a standard gasoline or diesel powered vehicle, but the improvement, given the vehicle operates long enough, is at this time minimal.  The only immediate advantage is it contributes less Co2 during use.

Acknowledging EV Co2 footprint is not equal to "defending" EV's, or implying they are "good" or that anyone "should" own one.  I am not implying any of those things, I am just Observing all available information that I have at this time.

IP Logged
WebsterMark
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #5 - 07/17/23 at 05:08:34

Of course an EV has a smaller carbon footprint than a typical car. But a scooter has a smaller footprint. If you’ve ever been to Asia, you see scooters are as common as cars are over here. They did it because of cars and pollution. But if I’m going out to eat with my family, I don’t want us to ride scooters and meet there. I don’t want to change my lifestyle like that.

So it is with EV. I live in an area with about 100 houses, served by a couple incoming transmission lines on either side. If half the houses bought EV, there wouldn’t be enough capacity to charge them all at once. And this push to electrify homes will only compound that issue. What would result is charging times would be specified and there would be some type of controlled charging system to manage / monitor that. I don’t want that.

If you claim to be concerned with the climate and are all in on climate change but aren’t demanding we channel our creative power towards nuclear energy, then you’re not serious.

IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

Reply #6 - 07/17/23 at 09:04:05

you claim to be concerned with the climate and are all in on climate change but aren’t demanding we channel our creative power towards nuclear energy, then you’re not serious.

Wouldn't have any idea how to start arguing against what we so obviously need.
Maybe we could do it better, Give thorium a test reactor?
Maybe we should harden our grid, while we are at it.
Crews will be onsite.. Traveling down the road..

The people never give up their liberties but under some delusion.- Edmund Burke.
  IP Logged
MnSpring
Serious Thumper

Younger than most
people my age.

Minn
Reply #7 - 07/17/23 at 11:25:14

Why not experiment with taking Hydrogen out of Water.

Use the Hydrogen to turn a generator.
Use the water to drink, irrigate crops, use the cold/heat out of it.
Put it back in the ground in a closed system.

(Or just throw it away, after using the heat/cold, like Mpls Mn does)

Lots of possibilities to experiment with to see what works.

IP Logged
zevenenergie
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

The Netherlands   Den Haag
Reply #8 - 07/18/23 at 00:24:13

I think the past has shown (in many other areas) that you shouldn't leave nuclear power plants to people who want to make money. So there is a bit more to it than just building small nuclear power plants if you also want to take care for the coming generations. All in all, time and again it appears that in addition to technical changes, a mental change must also take place.

And about EVs, We could also use the batteries from our cars as energy storage and thus absorb large current fluctuations between day and night ,if you use solar energy.
Unfortunately, the power grid is still far from being equipped for mass driving with EVs.

Do what you know is right. (you can always use fear as a counselor later)
  IP Logged
MnSpring
Serious Thumper

Younger than most
people my age.

Minn
Reply #9 - 07/19/23 at 14:00:39

zevenenergie wrote on 07/18/23 at 00:24:13:
"I think the past has shown (in many other areas) that you shouldn't leave nuclear power plants to people who want to make money. ..."

Does this mean no one should run a nuclear power plant ?
Or that all that run a nuclear power plant should work for free ?

IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

Reply #10 - 07/19/23 at 18:28:16

"I think the past has shown (in many other areas) that you shouldn't leave nuclear power plants to people who want to make money..

Because everyone Knows that unpaid volunteers make the best operators.

Wait, Wait,, let me guess,, medical care is a human right and nobody should have to pay for it, right?

IP Logged
Eegore
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #11 - 07/19/23 at 18:45:41

Does this mean no one should run a nuclear power plant ?
Or that all that run a nuclear power plant should work for free ?

That's what I was thinking.  Is this how "free energy" actually works?

IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
07/08/24 at 09:12:40

General CategoryPolitics, Religion (Tall Table) › Wankel

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.