Send Topic Print
Bad Odor (Read 77 times)
J Mac

Laissez Les Bon
Temps Roulez

Louisiana, USA
Bad Odor
06/28/23 at 22:32:58

My 2012 S40 has only 913 miles on it and has a stock exhaust.  I bought it last November and have only put a handful of miles on it due to waiting for the title.  I've been noticing a strong odor when I shut it down and sometimes during riding.  It's not burning brakes, burning clutch (does a wet clutch even have an odor?), burning oil, or a hot aircooled engine odor (I know that odor well from my classic VWs).  It's similar to a carburetor that's running too lean or starving for gas.  My S40 runs and idles well.  I did the spacer mod and adjusted the air mixture screw to eliminate most backfires (2 turns out or so).  It doesn't backfire too often now, but it happens sometimes when the throttle is chopped.  I'm wondering if this odor is caused by the liberal amount of Sea Foam I ran through it or something else entirely.  My last Savage had 2400 miles on it when I got it, and I don't remember this type of odor.  Am I still breaking in this 11 year old bike, or should I assume it's a carburetor tuning issue?  Thanks!

“These go to 11.” --Nigel Tufnel
  IP Logged
Ruttly
Serious Thumper

Thumpers Rule

Manteca , CA
Re: Bad Odor
Reply #1 - 06/29/23 at 01:03:19

Might be running lean !

The Topic Terminator
  IP Logged
Ruttly
Serious Thumper

Thumpers Rule

Manteca , CA
Reply #2 - 06/29/23 at 01:05:58

Might be old fuel too

The Topic Terminator
  IP Logged
Savard 05

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Ohio
Reply #3 - 06/29/23 at 03:22:40

Could be the seafoam I know when I bought mine it sat for 2 years is what owner said so I did a marvel mystery oil piston soak for few days and pulled plug cranked out the oil and sucked out the rest with siphon and when I finally started it up it had strong odor first couple start ups I also had some smoke though too. Just thought I'd chime in on the issue hope you get it figured out let us know what ya find . Good luck.

IP Logged
zevenenergie
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

The Netherlands   Den Haag
Reply #4 - 06/29/23 at 04:19:39

It could be your upper lip.  Wink

Do what you know is right. (you can always use fear as a counselor later)
  IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

East Texas, 1/2 dallas/la.
Reply #5 - 06/29/23 at 09:00:27

You sure you aren't baking a critter in your exhaust?

The people never give up their liberties but under some delusion.- Edmund Burke.
  IP Logged
Dave
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Camp Springs, Kentucky
Reply #6 - 06/29/23 at 09:19:08

If you haven't had it out on the highway and got it really warmed up, the exhaust could still have Seafoam and wet carbon inside.  And if you live in an area that is cool and humid - you could have moisture in the exhaust as well.  It takes a good 15 minute ride to get the engine up to full operating temperature.

Someday I will be old......But not today!

IP Logged
J Mac

Laissez Les Bon
Temps Roulez

Louisiana, USA
Reply #7 - 06/29/23 at 18:14:18

Thank you sir.  It's been a blast furnace here (and ultra humid) for days and days, so it gets warm.  It might be that I need a longer ride though.

Dave wrote on 06/29/23 at 09:19:08:
If you haven't had it out on the highway and got it really warmed up, the exhaust could still have Seafoam and wet carbon inside.  And if you live in an area that is cool and humid - you could have moisture in the exhaust as well.  It takes a good 15 minute ride to get the engine up to full operating temperature.

IP Logged
J Mac

Laissez Les Bon
Temps Roulez

Louisiana, USA
Reply #8 - 06/29/23 at 18:17:15

One never knows.  Years ago, at my first house in MI, I smelled what seemed like turkey dinner in my house.  I found a squirrel had crawled into the water heater chimney and died headfirst against the baffle.  Imagine my shock to pull apart the galvanized tube and have a squirrel tail pop out (faceless squirrel by then).  Gross.

justin_o_guy2 wrote on 06/29/23 at 09:00:27:
You sure you aren't baking a critter in your exhaust?

IP Logged
J Mac

Laissez Les Bon
Temps Roulez

Louisiana, USA
Reply #9 - 06/29/23 at 18:17:49

badum tsssss.  Classic  Cheesy

zevenenergie wrote on 06/29/23 at 04:19:39:
It could be your upper lip.  Wink

IP Logged
J Mac

Laissez Les Bon
Temps Roulez

Louisiana, USA
Reply #10 - 06/29/23 at 18:19:07

It did sit most of its 11 year life, so who knows?  Thanks for the ideas.  Maybe it just needs to be RUN.  It's like butter when I ride it though.  So nice.

Savard 05 wrote on 06/29/23 at 03:22:40:
Could be the seafoam I know when I bought mine it sat for 2 years is what owner said so I did a marvel mystery oil piston soak for few days and pulled plug cranked out the oil and sucked out the rest with siphon and when I finally started it up it had strong odor first couple start ups I also had some smoke though too. Just thought I'd chime in on the issue hope you get it figured out let us know what ya find . Good luck.

IP Logged
J Mac

Laissez Les Bon
Temps Roulez

Louisiana, USA
Reply #11 - 06/29/23 at 18:23:10

Thanks all.  I will perhaps turn the mixture screw out a touch more and just ride the thing more.  It would be easier if it wasn't 100 degrees (literally) for days with oppressive humidity.

IP Logged
J Mac

Laissez Les Bon
Temps Roulez

Louisiana, USA
Reply #12 - 07/15/23 at 21:10:50

I rode it today for about 45 minutes before noon.  Pretty much flawless; pulled like a mule.  It was in the upper 80s and then lower 90s with 900% humidity.  I forgot how buzzy the Savage was at freeway speeds.  I put a gallon of ethanol free gas halfway through the ride.  I'm going to try to use that from now on.  I tend to forget to fill up with that gas for some reason.

IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
09/22/24 at 22:26:05

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › Bad Odor

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.