Donate!
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register :: View Members
Pages: 1 2 3 
Send Topic Print
What could be the source of this engine rattle? (Read 211 times)
och
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Re: What could be the source of this engine rattle
Reply #30 - 08/05/23 at 07:43:49

Just opened up the covers and checked the decompression mechanism - it is working properly and is not the source of the rattle. I guess I'll do a valve adjustment job once I'm halfway there. Will a feelers gauge from autozone do the job?

IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

East Texas, 1/2 dallas/la.
Reply #31 - 08/07/23 at 08:06:45

I always pull the ones I want out of the assembly. Bent into a Z , with a ski tip on the end.

The people never give up their liberties but under some delusion.- Edmund Burke.
  IP Logged
Surviving Philly

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #32 - 08/07/23 at 11:19:05

Och if you check my post history I had a buzzing/rattle but was clearly from the clutch cover, cause being clutch related.

Not sure if this is helpful to you, I have watched the videos you've posted but it's hard for me to hear what is going on or where the sound is emanating from.  

IP Logged
och
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #33 - 08/07/23 at 17:49:21

Surviving Philly wrote on 08/07/23 at 11:19:05:
Och if you check my post history I had a buzzing/rattle but was clearly from the clutch cover, cause being clutch related.

Not sure if this is helpful to you, I have watched the videos you've posted but it's hard for me to hear what is going on or where the sound is emanating from.  

Thanks! Although I think my noise originates from the head, I can't be sure, and my clutch was recently replaced and this is when the rattle started to occur.

Since I am already committed to doing a valve job, I will try it first and go from there.

IP Logged
och
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #34 - 08/10/23 at 18:53:35

Allright adjust my valves today, set them to dead .004" - but they weren't out of spec to begin with, i could slide .005" in there but not .006", so they were right on the money.

I noticed that the intake rocker arms have quite a bit of play, but exhaust rocker arms did not have any. Is this normal?

Also, I stripped one of the main valve cover bolts, the really deep one with a rubber washer. Any idea what to do? I don't think I can rethread it without removing the head.

IP Logged
DragBikeMike
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Honolulu
Reply #35 - 08/11/23 at 12:45:34

"I noticed that the intake rocker arms have quite a bit of play, but exhaust rocker arms did not have any. Is this normal?"

What kind of play, side-to-side or up & down?  There are wave-washers installed on the right-hand side of each rocker.  You should be able to push it toward the right and it should return back toward the left on its own.

"I don't think I can rethread it without removing the head."

Correct

Knowledge is power.
  IP Logged
och
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #36 - 08/11/23 at 13:40:01

Up and down on the rockers - when all the way down they touch the valve, once up i can slide .004" feeler gauge.

IP Logged
Pages: 1 2 3 
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
10/07/24 at 05:32:16

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › What could be the source of this engine rattle?

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.