Noise from rear wheel (Read 56 times)
springman
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Spring, Texas
Noise from rear wheel
06/05/23 at 08:35:31

Help. I changed rear tire on the S40 yesterday. Bike has around 43K miles. After getting tire back on bike and spinning it to check belt alignment, the alignment was good but as the wheel spun it make a noise like when we were kids and attached cards to our rear wheels so that they would make noise as the spokes hit them. I though the tension was good on the belt but loosened it a bit anyway and again spun the wheel, the sound was softer but it was still there. I checked and could not see that tire or spokes or belt were making contact with anything. Is this what a bad bearing sound like?

06 S40 seat mod, airhawk, HD muffler, Shinko 712 140-90-15 rear tire, Shinko 230 front tire, versy cam chain tensioner, Rotella oil, Volar brake pads, EBC clutch & springs
  IP Logged
Ruttly
Serious Thumper

Thumpers Rule

Manteca , CA
Re: Noise from rear wheel
Reply #1 - 06/05/23 at 08:48:36

Might be the bearing in the pulley hub going bad , DBM has a good upgrade if that’s the case.

The Topic Terminator
  IP Logged
Armen
Serious Thumper

Half-Witted
Wrench-Jockey from
Jersey

Reply #2 - 06/06/23 at 08:37:02

Upgrade the pulley bearing to the double row yet?

In theory, theory and reality are the same. In reality, they aren't...
  IP Logged
springman
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Spring, Texas
Reply #3 - 06/06/23 at 12:43:58

Thanks guys. What is the upgrade? I'll probably put the bike back up on the jack this weekend to see if I have any lateral movement and if so will take the wheel off and replace whatever bearings need replacing.

06 S40 seat mod, airhawk, HD muffler, Shinko 712 140-90-15 rear tire, Shinko 230 front tire, versy cam chain tensioner, Rotella oil, Volar brake pads, EBC clutch & springs
  IP Logged
verslagen1
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

Where there's a
will, I want to be
in it.

L.A. California
Reply #4 - 06/06/23 at 14:25:05

springman wrote on 06/05/23 at 08:35:31:
Help. I changed rear tire on the S40 yesterday. Bike has around 43K miles. After getting tire back on bike and spinning it to check belt alignment, the alignment was good but as the wheel spun it make a noise like when we were kids and attached cards to our rear wheels so that they would make noise as the spokes hit them. I though the tension was good on the belt but loosened it a bit anyway and again spun the wheel, the sound was softer but it was still there. I checked and could not see that tire or spokes or belt were making contact with anything. Is this what a bad bearing sound like?

check the top of the belt all the way around, something could have dropped on it or the lower guard pushed on it.

here's the mod
http://suzukisavage.com/cgi-bin/YaBB.pl?num=1561964431

WWW   IP Logged
springman
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Spring, Texas
Reply #5 - 06/06/23 at 15:26:34

Thanks Versey. I just read the first couple of pages of the thread. I do not understand the need for the machining of the spacer. Can you explain this to me please? Thanks.

In my understanding the spacer just presses against the bearing and the machined spacer looks like it would go into the I.D. of the bearing which does not make sense to me. Please remember I am not an engineer.

IP Logged
verslagen1
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

Where there's a
will, I want to be
in it.

L.A. California
Reply #6 - 06/06/23 at 18:02:28

The spacer actually presses against an internal spacer between the hub and bearing.
So the bearing kind of floats there without compression.
The new bearing is double wide so the outside spacer is relieved so the same float is achieved.

That is kind of nice since the spacer is now retained and you won't have to go chasing it every time you pull the axle.

WWW   IP Logged
Armen
Serious Thumper

Half-Witted
Wrench-Jockey from
Jersey

Reply #7 - 06/06/23 at 18:26:26

I have the modified spacers in stock if you want. You just have to buy the bearing. And ship me your original spacer when you are done.

IP Logged
springman
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Spring, Texas
Reply #8 - 06/07/23 at 13:50:09

I am curious. So what happens if the hub is not machined?

Also, with the machined hub fitting/going into the bearing .338" (or whatever the dimension was), don't you then need to replace that dimension with washers or something?

IP Logged
Armen
Serious Thumper

Half-Witted
Wrench-Jockey from
Jersey

Reply #9 - 06/07/23 at 14:06:03

So, the gag is, the bearing is wider, so the spacer gets narrower. Because the spacer fits inside the bearing, it has to have a step machined into it.
I like to Loctite the spacer into the bearing to make things even more secure.
If you think about it, the new setup should stiffen up the axle/bearing/wheel situation besides stopping the pulley from wobbling.

IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
10/07/24 at 03:24:46

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › Noise from rear wheel

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.