Donate!
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register :: View Members
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Oil seepage and smoke from a bottom engine bolt? (Read 30 times)
och
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Oil seepage and smoke from a bottom engine bolt?
05/23/23 at 10:09:02

The bolt underneath the engine head in the attached picture is constantly wet with oil. There is no actual leak, there is just enough seepage to keep this bolt slightly wet, but there is never any oil dripping only the engine.

Not a big deal, but the seeping oil burns off when the engine is hot and creates quote a bit of smoke. There is the same bolt on the intake side of the engine, that one seems to be dry.

Is there an easy fix? Anyone else have the same issue?

IP Logged
DragBikeMike
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Honolulu
Re: Oil seepage and smoke from a bottom engine bol
Reply #1 - 05/24/23 at 02:52:43

I have had trouble with that particular stud.  It pulls out of the head.  I never had an oil leak there, but the stud pulls out until the shoulder on the stud contacts the head gasket, at which point the stud is no longer holding things together.  

Other folks have had leaks there and fixed it by applying sealant to the face of the nut.  I don't see any harm in you doing the same thing.  Your head gasket isn't leaking combustion gas.

This post provides some detail on the stud/head failure and how I fix it, but as I mentioned, I don't think you have to do anything more than apply sealant to the face of the nut.  Just remove the nut, clean the surfaces, apply sealant, and put it back together.  Soak it with penetrating oil before you try to remove the nut.

http://suzukisavage.com/cgi-bin/YaBB.pl?num=1665791582

Knowledge is power.
  IP Logged
och
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #2 - 05/24/23 at 03:08:12

Wow, some design flaws with this engine for sure. I imagine it has to be a high heat red RTV sealer at this location?

IP Logged
DragBikeMike
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Honolulu
Reply #3 - 05/24/23 at 04:17:26

I run my thermocouple for CHT on that stud.  I've never seen it over 340 degrees or so.  Regular silicone gasket maker will probably work just fine.  I suspect one of the other members who has done this repair will comment on what they used.

Good luck.

Knowledge is power.
  IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
04/26/24 at 02:00:42

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › Oil seepage and smoke from a bottom engine bolt?

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.