Send Topic Print
Horrible gas mileage. (Read 153 times)
LuigiFromCars
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Horrible gas mileage.
03/29/23 at 21:36:53

Hey everyone. I just recently got an 01 savage. It didn’t run when I bought it, but after a carb clean, changing the petcock, and changing the oil( it was full of gas from the leaking petcock) it’s back in the road. The bike only has 1800 miles on it 150 of which have been me. Anyways I’m habitant a myriad of issues, oils dumping out of the head seal, leaking forks and a clutch slipping in higher gears. I think I sealed the fork today with a seal mate(thanks to this forum for putting me on), the clutch I’m assuming is due to old springs so I’m putting in stronger springs this weekend, and I’m replacing the head plug. One issue that has me stumped however is my terrible gas mileage. I’m getting 25 mpg. In fairness I use it to commute to and from college and A&M campus is a free for all for pedestrians crossing the street so I spend a lot of time stopped. Regardless, I feel I should at least be in the low 40s. The carb has brand new stock jets from alls balls, I plan to change them soon but I’d like to get working right first. I can’t imagine the rings are that far gone on an 1800 mile bike so I really don’t know where to look now. To cover the bases, I have mobile 1 4T 10w40 it’s designed for wet clutches. I don’t notice any fuel leaks, I do smell some gas when at low rpm but I believe I shaved my white spacer too far (it backfires) but I had bad gas mileage before ever doing that. Thanks in advance for any help

IP Logged
verslagen1
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

Where there's a
will, I want to be
in it.

L.A. California
Re: Horrible gas mileage.
Reply #1 - 03/29/23 at 23:30:39

What jets are you using?
What's is the white spacer thickness?
Is that the mpg after the petcock change?

WWW   IP Logged
Dave
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Camp Springs, Kentucky
Reply #2 - 03/30/23 at 03:10:12

How many miles long is the commute?  Is it all city traffic and low gears?

Someday I will be old......But not today!

IP Logged
LuigiFromCars
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #3 - 03/30/23 at 05:08:13

verslagen1 wrote on 03/29/23 at 23:30:39:
What jets are you using?

It’s at about half thickness, but this gas mileage was a problem before ever doing the white spacer.

I changed the petcock when I was fixing the bike, so yes this petcock is the only thing I have to compare to, it’s a vacuum petcock but there is no leak through the vacuum line, I pulled it and it’s dry.

Current jets are whatever they are factory, it’s from the carb rebuild kit from “all balls” off revzilla

IP Logged
LuigiFromCars
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #4 - 03/30/23 at 05:08:57

Dave wrote on 03/30/23 at 03:10:12:
How many miles long is the commute?  Is it all city traffic and low gears?

Yes, it’s all city, from my apartment to campus

IP Logged
twhitus

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Pinellas park, floida
Reply #5 - 03/30/23 at 06:41:16

If the clutch is slipping at 1800 miles it might be because the clutch was contaminated by the wrong oil before you got it.  Also its very important to run a oil with zddp in it or you will wipe the cam, most of us run shell rotella t4 or t6 for this reason and its also safe for the clutch.

25mpg is pretty bad, i beat on mine pretty hard and it still does better then that. You state that you smell gas at low rpm, does it load up and die if you idle to long? your float might be adjusted to high/sticking and its dumping into the engine some basically flooding it.

IP Logged
LuigiFromCars
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #6 - 03/30/23 at 07:28:13

twhitus wrote on 03/30/23 at 06:41:16:
If the clutch is slipping at 1800 miles it might be because the clutch was contaminated by the wrong oil before you got it.  Also its very important to run a oil with zddp in it or you will wipe the cam, most of us run shell rotella t4 or t6 for this reason and its also safe for the clutch.

25mpg is pretty bad, i beat on mine pretty hard and it still does better then that. You state that you smell gas at low rpm, does it load up and die if you idle to long? your float might be adjusted to high/sticking and its dumping into the engine some basically flooding it.

No it doesn’t die if I idle too long, the gas smell may be from me shaving too much off the white spacer, but I had bad gas mileage before that. If the plates are contaminated I’d have to replace them entirely right, there isn’t much that can be done as far as I know.

IP Logged
verslagen1
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

Where there's a
will, I want to be
in it.

L.A. California
Reply #7 - 03/30/23 at 08:05:13

LuigiFromCars wrote on 03/30/23 at 05:08:13:
What jets are you using?

It’s at about half thickness, but this gas mileage was a problem before ever doing the white spacer.

I changed the petcock when I was fixing the bike, so yes this petcock is the only thing I have to compare to, it’s a vacuum petcock but there is no leak through the vacuum line, I pulled it and it’s dry.

Current jets are whatever they are factory, it’s from the carb rebuild kit from “all balls” off revzilla

If it's from a rebuild kit then it's not whatever from the factory, there are many years and many locations requiring many variations in carb settings.

And as noted earlier, the jets fit in many locations, best to check and know.

Usually, cutting the white spacer w/out setting the main and pilot correctly 1st is generally what causes poor mpg.

WWW   IP Logged
LuigiFromCars
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #8 - 03/30/23 at 09:10:44

verslagen1 wrote on 03/30/23 at 08:05:13:
LuigiFromCars wrote on 03/30/23 at 05:08:13:
What jets are you using?

If it's from a rebuild kit then it's not whatever from the factory, there are many years and many locations requiring many variations in carb settings.

And as noted earlier, the jets fit in many locations, best to check and know.

Usually, cutting the white spacer w/out setting the main and pilot correctly 1st is generally what causes poor mpg.

I guess I didn't even consider the rebuild kit having the wrong main. were the differences that significant to where my gas mileage is effectively halved from what it should be? Regardless, I have other jets, I have the factory jets (not the ones from the rebuild but the ones I pulled out), then my main jets I've got a 147.5, a 150, and a 152.5. For pilots ive got a 52.5 and a 55. I'm ruining a dyna exhaust (the factory exhaust got gutted by the last guy and was embarrassing to ride with) so from what I've read I should probably go with the 150 main and 52.5 pilot as a starting point as im at 250' above sea level. Also, side question, is quoting the person you reply to how its supposed to be done, seems like the threads will get long

EDIT: I looked the kit up and it is designed for the 01, ill still change the jets in the event that maybe they gave me the wrong ones but im fairly confident that the jets are good. I'll pull the plug as well and check if its running rich too be sure

IP Logged
verslagen1
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

Where there's a
will, I want to be
in it.

L.A. California
Reply #9 - 03/30/23 at 11:48:35

LuigiFromCars wrote on 03/30/23 at 09:10:44:
I guess I didn't even consider the rebuild kit having the wrong main. were the differences that significant to where my gas mileage is effectively halved from what it should be? Regardless, I have other jets, I have the factory jets (not the ones from the rebuild but the ones I pulled out), then my main jets I've got a 147.5, a 150, and a 152.5. For pilots ive got a 52.5 and a 55. I'm ruining a dyna exhaust (the factory exhaust got gutted by the last guy and was embarrassing to ride with) so from what I've read I should probably go with the 150 main and 52.5 pilot as a starting point as im at 250' above sea level.

EDIT: I looked the kit up and it is designed for the 01, ill still change the jets in the event that maybe they gave me the wrong ones but im fairly confident that the jets are good. I'll pull the plug as well and check if its running rich too be sure

most likely your problem is the white spacer. I'd thicken it up.  and then follow the procedure outlined in the jetting threads in the tech section.

Quote:
Also, side question, is quoting the person you reply to how its supposed to be done, seems like the threads will get long

It's going to vary, sometimes there can be a lot of responses so you can easily loose what you're responding to especially when it's complicated.

WWW   IP Logged
Gary_in_NJ
Serious Thumper

LS650 Cafe Racer

Amongst the Twisty Roads
Reply #10 - 04/03/23 at 06:33:56

If you are communing mostly in the city, you probably aren't even using the main circuit. The main begins to enter the fueling circuit at about 2/3 throttle and is in full effect around 3/4 throttle (supported by the needle).

More likely is that you have accidentally swapped the main and pilot.

A life-time student of motorcycling.
LS650 Cafe, DRZ400SM, FZ6N, SV650S, CB900C, Ducati ST2, CB550F-SS
My LS650=> http://suzukisavage.com/yabb2.2/Attachments/Left.JPG
  IP Logged
LuigiFromCars
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #11 - 04/03/23 at 06:43:02

Gary_in_NJ wrote on 04/03/23 at 06:33:56:
If you are communing mostly in the city, you probably aren't even using the main circuit. The main begins to enter the fueling circuit at about 2/3 throttle and is in full effect around 3/4 throttle (supported by the needle).

More likely is that you have accidentally swapped the main and pilot.

The main and the pilot don’t have the same threads, the is a #250 jet that runs the vacuum for the needle that can go in the main spot. I took it all part this weekend and the main jet was a 147.5, bike actually felt lean at the top end too so I swapped it for a 150. I don’t normally get into the top end anyways of course. The pilot is a #52.5, I pulled the plug and it shows no signs of running rich

IP Logged
ohiomoto
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #12 - 04/03/23 at 20:10:44

Facts:  Top end is lean but MPGs are down.  But there was fuel in the oil and the clutch is fried at just 1800 miles.  You smell fuel when idling which means you smell it when you're not moving.

Some of your symptoms are conflicting.  It's clearly not a jetting issue.  But fuel is going somewhere and it has been found somewhere so...

Where the fuel would go if an overflow line were to get plugged into the vacuum manifold???  Shocked

I'm thinking it would be taking a sip right off the top of the float bowl.  Just a hunch, but it would explain most of the symptoms.

IP Logged
LuigiFromCars
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #13 - 04/04/23 at 05:18:25

ohiomoto wrote on 04/03/23 at 20:10:44:
Facts:  Top end is lean but MPGs are down.  But there was fuel in the oil and the clutch is fried at just 1800 miles.  You smell fuel when idling which means you smell it when you're not moving.

Some of your symptoms are conflicting.  It's clearly not a jetting issue.  But fuel is going somewhere and it has been found somewhere so...

Where the fuel would go if an overflow line were to get plugged into the vacuum manifold???  Shocked

I'm thinking it would be taking a sip right off the top of the float bowl.  Just a hunch, but it would explain most of the symptoms.

My overflow lines are running just up and forward near the tank. That’s how they were when I got the bike. But that does make sense that it could be leaking out of the overflow. Perhaps the bowl is filling too high. I’ll get some clear fuel line and see what level it’s at

IP Logged
ohiomoto
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #14 - 04/04/23 at 18:20:21

Yeah, I was going to say to check your float level along with the needle and seat but went with the mad scientist suggestion instead.

But you have to wonder if that could have possibly happened to someone, somewhere.  haha

IP Logged
Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
10/07/24 at 01:26:04

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › Horrible gas mileage.

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.