Donate!
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register :: View Members
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Gas tank removal with Raptor petcock? (Read 65 times)
och
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Gas tank removal with Raptor petcock?
03/24/23 at 18:35:28

I am getting a jet kit to rejet my carb, and trying to figure out how to remove the gas tank. I saw a few youtube videos, and everyone is saying to switch the petcock to ON or to RES position, but they are all using the stock petcock. With the stock petcock I don't understand why the fuel won't leak out when its ON.

Either way, how should I approach the removal with my Raptor petcock? It was one of the first mods that I did to the bike back when I first got it, so I dont remember much of what was involved. I imagine I should keep it in the OFF position?

IP Logged
Dave
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Camp Springs, Kentucky
Re: Gas tank removal with Raptor petcock?
Reply #1 - 03/25/23 at 05:10:58

On some bikes it is impossible to remove the fuel tank without draining the tank and removing the stock vacuum petcock first.  The backside of the stock petccck hits the frame and won't allow you to lift the back of the tank above the frame.

Withe the Raptor petcock you should not have any problem.  I remove the speedometer drive cable at the engine, turn the petcock OFF, remove the fuel line, remove the seat and the 2 screws at the back of the tank, lift the rear of the tank up....then slide the tank backwards to get the rubber cushions out of the front of the tank.  As the tank clears the front mounts you can set the back of the tank on a towel and tilt the front of the tank up to allow you to unplug the electrical connector for the instrument panel.  The first time you do it is a bit of a challenge - after doing it a half dozen times it becomes routine.

Someday I will be old......But not today!

IP Logged
och
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #2 - 03/25/23 at 06:47:47

Thank you dave, wanted to confirm that the petcock should be set to OFF.

IP Logged
Yoshi
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

LongIsland, N.Y.
Reply #3 - 03/25/23 at 19:54:02

The original fuel thingy reqires vacuum to make fuel flow, (that's what made them fail often) As long as it wasn't on the prime setting then the fuel wouldn't flow.

Raptor has on and reserve which fuel flows depending on gravity

IP Logged
Serowbot
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

OK.... so what's the
speed of dark?

Tucson Az
Reply #4 - 03/26/23 at 07:36:37

Yes, set to OFF

Ludicrous Speed !... ... Huh...
  IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

East Texas, 1/2 dallas/la.
Reply #5 - 04/14/23 at 11:24:20

First time I pulled the tank, once I got it off I realized I I had the speedo cable to deal with. Prepare a safe stable place for the tank that doesn't crimp the cable.

The people never give up their liberties but under some delusion.- Edmund Burke.
  IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
10/06/24 at 23:31:31

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › Gas tank removal with Raptor petcock?

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.