Send Topic Print
Horrible gas mileage. (Read 153 times)
LuigiFromCars
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Re: Horrible gas mileage.
Reply #15 - 04/11/23 at 09:23:38

Here are a couple of updates. Changed the oil again to see if there was fuel in the oil. It’s all good now. I set my valve clearances, cleaned the carb (again) checked the jets, they are the right size, nothing is in the wrong place. Also checked the spark plug, doesn’t show running rich. I’ve looked up and down for fuel leaks and cannot find them. I think the next thing to check is compression

IP Logged
ThumperPaul
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Houston, Texas
Reply #16 - 04/11/23 at 12:26:48

Check the air box for gas.  I had a similar problem.  Mine was the needle valve in the carb (did you replace that)?  Mine was intermittently leaking and it took a while for me to figure it out.  It wasn't so bad that it would flood the bike, but it was leaking enough to smell gas in the garage occasionally after sitting over night.  I replaced it and the problem was solved.  It has like this little seat gasket around it that was worn.  I blame myself because when I rebuilt the carb, I skipped replacing it.  Lesson learned - no shortcuts.

IP Logged
LuigiFromCars
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #17 - 04/11/23 at 21:27:27

ThumperPaul wrote on 04/11/23 at 12:26:48:
Check the air box for gas.  I had a similar problem.  Mine was the needle valve in the carb (did you replace that)?  Mine was intermittently leaking and it took a while for me to figure it out.  It wasn't so bad that it would flood the bike, but it was leaking enough to smell gas in the garage occasionally after sitting over night.  I replaced it and the problem was solved.  It has like this little seat gasket around it that was worn.  I blame myself because when I rebuilt the carb, I skipped replacing it.  Lesson learned - no shortcuts.

So I replaced the needle but not the brass piece it sits in. The screw that holds the brass piece in on mine is stripped to hell. Perhaps a screw extractor is in order

IP Logged
ThumperPaul
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Houston, Texas
Reply #18 - 04/12/23 at 05:56:42

Every 5 minute job is a stripped screw away from being a day long project.  Good luck.  Maybe you can get a small vise-grip on it.

IP Logged
LuigiFromCars
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #19 - 04/12/23 at 06:02:59

ThumperPaul wrote on 04/12/23 at 05:56:42:
Every 5 minute job is a stripped screw away from being a day long project.  Good luck.  Maybe you can get a small vise-grip on it.

Yeah I’ve got another screw for it and the needle valve seat, I may just tape off the jets and take a screw extractor to it

IP Logged
ThumperPaul
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Houston, Texas
Reply #20 - 04/12/23 at 06:26:53

I’ve got a strong hunch the valve seat is the culprit.  Hoping that solves it!

IP Logged
DragBikeMike
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Honolulu
Reply #21 - 04/12/23 at 11:47:26

Instead of struggling with that little screw and risk wrecking the carb, why don't you simply test it.  

Remove the float bowl, hold the float up to seat the needle, turn on the gas and observe the joint in question.  Keep the float held up for a couple of minutes to make absolutely sure that the needle valve doesn't leak and the o-ring around the seat doesn't leak.  If you don't observe any fuel leaking, then those components are OK.

Sure would be a shame to trash the carb trying to remove that teeny weeny screw.

Have you checked the float to make sure it isn't full of gasoline?  Sometimes the floats spring a leak and fill up with gas.  That makes the float less buoyant and throws the float level way off.   

Knowledge is power.
  IP Logged
LuigiFromCars
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #22 - 04/12/23 at 11:51:01

DragBikeMike wrote on 04/12/23 at 11:47:26:
Instead of struggling with that little screw and risk wrecking the carb, why don't you simply test it.  

Remove the float bowl, hold the float up to seat the needle, turn on the gas and observe the joint in question.  Keep the float held up for a couple of minutes to make absolutely sure that the needle valve doesn't leak and the o-ring around the seat doesn't leak.  If you don't observe any fuel leaking, then those components are OK.

Sure would be a shame to trash the carb trying to remove that teeny weeny screw.

Have you checked the float to make sure it isn't full of gasoline?  Sometimes the floats spring a leak and fill up with gas.  That makes the float less buoyant and throws the float level way off.   

good idea, i'll try that. As for a leaking float, I checked that when I rebuilt the carb. I put the float under water and there were no air bubbles escaping.

As for the seal, I do recall it being ok when I took the carb apart. Due to being unable to get the seat out I tested it with the needle and by blowing in the fuel intake. It sealed when I did that so it may be ok

IP Logged
ThumperPaul
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Houston, Texas
Reply #23 - 04/12/23 at 12:28:25

LuigiFromCars wrote on 04/12/23 at 11:51:01:
DragBikeMike wrote on 04/12/23 at 11:47:26:

good idea, i'll try that. As for a leaking float, I checked that when I rebuilt the carb. I put the float under water and there were no air bubbles escaping

Smart idea Mike, but I personally prefer to remove the carb.  Trying to work in the bowl while it's on the bike - I find it a pain in the behind (or I drop a screw down under the starter because I didn't use a catch rag - doh!)  When he said the screw was stripped, that also seemed like a clue.  My guess is some newbie tried to tighten the screw to fix the leak.  To be cleared about my issue - it was a worn out o-ring.  I should have been clearer initially.

IP Logged
LuigiFromCars
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Re: Bad Gas mileage
Reply #24 - 04/11/23 at 21:45:46

I ran a compression test today and I was sitting around 135 psi, I put some oil into the cylinder and I hit about 140 ish psi. I know 140 is the lower end of the compression range but it is within that range. I’d like to rule out other possibilities before pulling the head

IP Logged
Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
10/07/24 at 01:15:33

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › Horrible gas mileage.

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.