Donate!
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register :: View Members
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Seat options on stock Savage (Read 102 times)
Gus

Thumpers Rock!

Minnesota
Seat options on stock Savage
03/07/23 at 22:06:14

I  did a search & found nothing referring to seat options.
Call me a weenie or whatever you want but these stock seats are uncomfortable to me.
This is the second Savage I've owned. I've lifted the front of both seats & for short rides it's fine but for longer rides it's uncomfortable.
Makes my @$$ hurt.
I've got a Corbin on my BMW and they make a seat for the Savage but it is a "two-up" model & I need a solo seat as I am moving my fender rack & pack from my old Savage to the new one.
I want to do a long trip this summer on the Savage so would love to change the seat on it.
Any suggestions would be welcomed.
Thanks,
Gus

1994 BMW K75S
2011 s40
1979 Honda CT90 Trail
1964 Honda CT200 Trail
One cylinder - one carburetor. Life is good!
Retired/Minnesota
  IP Logged
LANCER
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

Savage Beast
Performance Parts

Oklahoma
Re: Seat options on stock Savage
Reply #1 - 03/08/23 at 05:18:51

You can replace the padding in the seat with a 1-2” thick gel pad.  As long as the positioning of the seat is good for you the gel is great…no pain.  I use it frequently.

IP Logged
och
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #2 - 03/08/23 at 05:39:48

You can send your stock seat, whether its two up or solo, to Russell Cycle and they will customize it for you any way you want.

IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

East Texas, 1/2 dallas/la.
Reply #3 - 03/08/23 at 11:59:00

I had a 2005, one piece seat,,doesn't take long to get enough of that..
Then I had one that had the two piece.. Ohh,Much better.. It's Not a direct swap, but it's Not exactly difficult,, the two piece is much better

The people never give up their liberties but under some delusion.- Edmund Burke.
  IP Logged
pg
Serious Thumper

In Transit
Reply #4 - 03/08/23 at 12:20:24

och wrote on 03/08/23 at 05:39:48:
You can send your stock seat, whether its two up or solo, to Russell Cycle and they will customize it for you any way you want.

Interesting, the Russell Day Long is the shangri-la of motorcycle seats.

Best regards,

I don't make the rules, I just know what they are.....

IP Logged
och
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #5 - 03/08/23 at 17:28:42

pg wrote on 03/08/23 at 12:20:24:
och wrote on 03/08/23 at 05:39:48:

Interesting, the Russell Day Long is the shangri-la of motorcycle seats.

Best regards,

I have Russell seats on my S40 and on my V Star, they are absolutely amazing. They customize the seats to your preference, your height, weight, and preferred riding position.

I have the single piece seat of my S40, with all new foam raised up flat across - I am tall, so I seat high and slide back halfway over the pillion portion of the seat. My trunk doubles up at the backrest, its super comfortable even on long rides.

IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

East Texas, 1/2 dallas/la.
Reply #6 - 03/08/23 at 17:50:42

The people never give up their liberties but under some delusion.- Edmund Burke.
  IP Logged
Gus

Thumpers Rock!

Minnesota
Reply #7 - 03/09/23 at 05:47:13

Och~ your suggestion is probably the best one, however, it will have to be right during a bout of serious pain for me to drop that kind of money, and I may.
I'll have to run myself out of options before I do the smart thing.

Justin_o_guy~ as a farm kid I spent a lot of time riding one of those whether it was on a tractor or a dump rake . I think my teeth are shorter from my time on a dump rake tho. LOL!

Lancer~ I may have to try re~ stuffing the seat as a first option.

Any more suggestions out there. I'm all ears.

I was hoping someone had a seat they found with a good fit that transfered from another bike.
I spent a couple hours last night looking on eBay. Didn't see anything that looked like a real good option . . . Maybe a couple . . . .

1994 BMW K75S
2011 s40
1979 Honda CT90 Trail
1964 Honda CT200 Trail
Retired/Minnesota
  IP Logged
och
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #8 - 03/09/23 at 06:11:55

Everyones seat preferences are different. I've seen people retrofit flat cafe racer style seats onto their Savages, these types of classic seats are generally comfy.

A sprung tractor seats with some foam on top can also be comfy.

Besides comfort, the seat also greatly affects the styling of a bike, so there are a lot of factors to consider.

IP Logged
Gus

Thumpers Rock!

Minnesota
Reply #9 - 03/09/23 at 06:21:29

Amen to all of the below och!
I used to have an HD police bike years ago. Had a big leather tricycle seat on it mounted on a pogo.
That was a very comfy set up. I could ride that thing for days on end. Then again that was in my 20's & 30's  Wink

I could do a lot of things then; at least I thought I could!

Oh, I'll come up with something in time.

och wrote on 03/09/23 at 06:11:55:
Everyones seat preferences are different. I've seen people retrofit flat cafe racer style seats onto their Savages, these types of classic seats are generally comfy.

A sprung tractor seats with some foam on top can also be comfy.

Besides comfort, the seat also greatly affects the styling of a bike, so there are a lot of factors to consider.  

1994 BMW K75S
2011 s40
1979 Honda CT90 Trail
1964 Honda CT200 Trail
Retired/Minnesota
  IP Logged
Rodney001
YaBB Newbies

Castroville, Texas
Reply #10 - 07/16/23 at 18:28:20

I just put a Corbin seat on my 2009 S40. I have read horror stories about some not lining up properly. Mine fit like a glove and the bracket holes lined up perfectly. I also read complaints about the seat moving you too far forward. I did feel a very noticeable difference, my first ride feeling very uncomfortable. But by the second ride I was already adjusting to the new riding position. I think I will be totally used to it in the next ride or two. I love this seat.

20230713_185431.jpg
  IP Logged
och
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #11 - 07/16/23 at 19:13:32

Rodney001 wrote on 07/16/23 at 18:28:20:
I just put a Corbin seat on my 2009 S40. I have read horror stories about some not lining up properly. Mine fit like a glove and the bracket holes lined up perfectly. I also read complaints about the seat moving you too far forward. I did feel a very noticeable difference, my first ride feeling very uncomfortable. But by the second ride I was already adjusting to the new riding position. I think I will be totally used to it in the next ride or two. I love this seat.

I had a Corbin seat, in fact my Russell modified seat is a Corbin base. The Corbin was a beautiful seat, but its even lower than stock, so for my 6'4 height it was plan untolerable.

Honestly, this bike is designed for Asian market, where people are 5'6 or shorter, it doesn't work very well here in the US.

IP Logged
Dave
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Camp Springs, Kentucky
Reply #12 - 07/17/23 at 03:55:03

MMRanch modified a Harley solo seat and put it on his Savage.  He had to pull back the cover and shorten the seat base at the front to get it on the Savage.

I rode his bike with that seat on and it was comfy - however the thicker padding did move you forward a few inches.  This was not an issue for those of us with 30" inseams and the bike was comfy to ride.

I modified a seat by reshaping it and installing the 5/8" thick gel pads that require you to scoop out the foam.  The reshaping was an improvement - however the expensive and relatively thin gel pads did not really do much to improve the comfort.  The next one I do will use the reshaping and a layer of softer foam instead of the gel layer.

Someday I will be old......But not today!

IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
09/22/24 at 20:12:55

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › Seat options on stock Savage

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.