Send Topic Print
Float Test (Read 41 times)
J Mac

Laissez Les Bon
Temps Roulez

Louisiana, USA
Float Test
02/24/23 at 14:48:20

Regarding the float test here:  http://suzukisavage.com/cgi-bin/YaBB.pl?num=1367212825

My fluid dynamics are a bit rusty.  What happens with the clear tube if the float is stuck or has holes in it?  I assume the gasoline goes above the gasket level.

I attempted to change my oil today (2012 S40 with 940 miles I bought in November but haven't run yet), and the "oil" that gushed out over the rim of the drain pan and all over my floor seemed to be mostly gas.  I have a Raptor on the way.  The airbox is dry, but the old filter smelled a little gassy.  I have no idea how long the sump has been diluted with gas.  It could have been a long time, or maybe it was all triggered when the guy started the bike up for me.  I'm not putting new oil in until I get the Raptor installed.

“These go to 11.” --Nigel Tufnel
  IP Logged
Ruttly
Serious Thumper

Thumpers Rule

Manteca , CA
Re: Float Test
Reply #1 - 02/24/23 at 14:56:01

But now you have to remember to turn it off !

The Topic Terminator
  IP Logged
J Mac

Laissez Les Bon
Temps Roulez

Louisiana, USA
Reply #2 - 02/24/23 at 15:08:00

This won't be a problem.  My 2003 Savage had a bad petcock that baffled me forever, and it look like this 2012 might have another bad one.  I love how the Clymer manual mentions turning the petcock to "OFF".  Um, where is OFF?  I wish I could turn it off.  I think they get their Suzukis mixed up sometimes.

IP Logged
verslagen1
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

Where there's a
will, I want to be
in it.

L.A. California
Reply #3 - 02/24/23 at 15:47:37

J Mac wrote on 02/24/23 at 14:48:20:
Regarding the float test here:  http://suzukisavage.com/cgi-bin/YaBB.pl?num=1367212825

My fluid dynamics are a bit rusty.  What happens with the clear tube if the float is stuck or has holes in it?  I assume the gasoline goes above the gasket level. 

The Static fluid level will rise to the point where the base of the carb throat is.  At which point it will get messy.

Either a bad float or a bad float valve.

WWW   IP Logged
verslagen1
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

Where there's a
will, I want to be
in it.

L.A. California
Reply #4 - 02/24/23 at 15:53:19

J Mac wrote on 02/24/23 at 15:08:00:
This won't be a problem.  My 2003 Savage had a bad petcock that baffled me forever, and it look like this 2012 might have another bad one.  I love how the Clymer manual mentions turning the petcock to "OFF".  Um, where is OFF?  I wish I could turn it off.  I think they get their Suzukis mixed up sometimes.

clymer has a number of errors, mostly due to adapting the text from one model to another.

the stock petcock auto off, or supposed to be.  a vacuum leak or corrosion on the sealing surfaces make that difficult.

WWW   IP Logged
J Mac

Laissez Les Bon
Temps Roulez

Louisiana, USA
Reply #5 - 02/24/23 at 16:11:05

Thanks, Verslagen.  Yes, an auto-off petcock was a good idea, but the execution seemed poor.  I remember with my 2003 I discovered way late in the game that the thing wasn't screwed together tightly.  That probably contributed to my problems just a tad.  I converted that one to a manual on/off petcock using somebody's method.

IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
05/03/24 at 08:42:24

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › Float Test

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.