Send Topic Print
Just kissing fast (Read 80 times)
Ruttly
Serious Thumper

Thumpers Rule

Manteca , CA
Just kissing fast
02/15/23 at 10:51:09

Before I started racing I would pit for others , just help out. Pushed a lot of race bikes around , something feels different about a race bike , light but with a solid feel , the difference between butter knife and a meat cleaver.
Got to ride a few , almost got to ride a XR750 at Sacramento , just in the pits but it didn’t happen. So some will understand the diff and some won’t. A lot of my bikes just kiss fast and I’ve ridden some incredibly fast bikes. So what is fast. Is it doing 140 on a Road Glide , no ,is it holding a smaller bike wfo , no, is it breaking  the 2 ton mark now we are getting closer. I’m talking acceleration that forces your eye balls back into your head , tests each and everyone of your fingers for enough strength to hang on. I’m talking FAST , when the bike is accelerating so hard , trying to keep front end down and going in the general direction desired, front end just touching here & there , everything is on the rear wheel , h/p peaking , bike literally just dancing over the road wfo , what a ride ! Raw two stroke power is a rush , raw unadulterated horse power , no sissy as$ed rev limiters just raw horsepower. Macho , manly ,  there is no faking it here. Doesn’t take a man to hold it wfo but it does take balls and skill. Isle of Man is where they go to scratch that itch. I learned to ride within my limits a long time ago. I’m happy to just kiss the beginning of fast now and again. The sensation of that kind of power delivery is impressive almost nauseating , seams to distort your side vision from speed only leaving a smaller area to focus on straight in front , maybe other have opinions on this I’d like to hear. I still think the quickest bike I’ve ridden was a Maico 501. Out of the box motocross bike that  did over 100 mph. It only had a 3 speed trans , shift twice and break the ton. Just try to keep the front end down , so easy to do a 100 mph wheelie , big fun but hella scary. Should have bought it , they sell for big $$$$$. It was strictly a power to weight equation, think I only weighed 125lb back then.

The Topic Terminator
  IP Logged
TheSneeze
Serious Thumper

Northern Nevada
Re: Just kissing fast
Reply #1 - 02/15/23 at 18:55:41

I got to ride a friend's Yamaha FJ1200, and you had to really hang on when licking redline through the gears.  The thing handled like it was bolted on a rail.  I looked down to see the speedo bouncing between 150 and 160 mph.  Maybe it was my vision and not the gage.  It was the fastest I have been in my life, two or four wheels.

Every twenty minute job is a stripped thread away from being a three day ordeal.

'87 LS650h Savage Street Tracker
'86 LS650g Savage (parts bike)
'81 Kawasaki KZ750e ELR tribute
  IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

East Texas, 1/2 dallas/la.
Reply #2 - 02/15/23 at 20:36:21

Dude stopped by with his Suzuki GS 1100 and let me ride it. I didn't weigh more than 125, and his helmet fit like a trash can. There was a road that had quite the turn, drop right, bend left, look up from under the right elbow to see the light, drop right, hit it, and Daaayumm,, it put me just holding on. Couldn't dial the throttle down. The road took a little bit of a left crossing the road, only way I could do that was twist at the waist. Finally the acceleration slacked enough I could shut it down. Took the first right. Stopped, got off, hands on knees, making weird noises and shaking..

The road entering that intersection was unlike any other I've seen.
Kind of a Fish Hook shape,

Thank GAWD it didn't wheelie..

The people never give up their liberties but under some delusion.- Edmund Burke.
  IP Logged
Ruttly
Serious Thumper

Thumpers Rule

Manteca , CA
Reply #3 - 02/15/23 at 22:18:26

I don’t think I gone quite that fast . When I was talking 200 mph as a reference to how much H/P it takes to achieve that speed creating blinding acceleration. The newer multi cyl bikes are insane but yet refined , to me  a built Kawasaki 750 triple is one scary ride , not much for brakes and questionable handling , power to weight thing goin on. Comes on the pipe you better be ready it will wheelie in every gear and it comes on like a light switch. No where near a 200 mph bike , but far more intimidating , so many things going on , the sound of that triple , you senses are about to be under a full blown assault. The vibration is gonna be painful until you go numb. Your eyes are blurred by speed , vibration growing more intense , don’t even think that’s a fart at 130 mph. Bike is still not settled in , it’s the WFO speed dance on the rear wheel. Going way to fast to look down again. Forgetting to breathe is not helping. Got off the bike smiling trying to play it off like I was a badas$ till my buddy started laughing , then pointed at my still trembling hands , he said you did good , most people shut it down , you held it wide open , didn’t panic or crash. A wickedly fast bike with a violent power band , what a ride.  Maybe I need to build a smoker , the hard part is finding one with paperwork.

The Topic Terminator
  IP Logged
Ruttly
Serious Thumper

Thumpers Rule

Manteca , CA
Reply #4 - 02/16/23 at 07:25:53

So I’m solid in the thumper camp since I was a kid. Here is where just kissing fast comes in as opposed to full blown sex  on a built H2. I think I need that scary ride from time to time to keep things real. However a ride on a bike like that , kinda gives me a target to shoot for while dreaming , building , tuning a single. We are real lucky to have the combined knowledge we have here , DBM s skills & ability to teach it is rare in a forum. My bike turned out well cause of the members. Built many fast singles in my time , actually had no intentions to build the tracker engine. It only had 809 miles on when I bought it , build tracker put stock engine back in. It wasn’t meant to be , pulled donor engine put it on the bench , days later oil leaked out everywhere , leaking from main case halves. The whole engine had to be torn down to reseal it. No way I was not gonna give it a hot build , stock ! Then people like Versy , Lancer , Dave  and that’s just the tip of that list , seems everyone has had a hand in this bike. Couldn’t leave me be to put my stocker back in , carbs n pipes , piston n cam , etc n etc and here we are. I could say I built it  but the truth is we built the bike. Got to go I’ll be back.

The Topic Terminator
  IP Logged
LANCER
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

Savage Beast
Performance Parts

Oklahoma
Reply #5 - 02/16/23 at 07:59:16

We are a combined effort, and we are synergistic as well.  😎 🏍

IP Logged
Ruttly
Serious Thumper

Thumpers Rule

Manteca , CA
Reply #6 - 02/16/23 at 08:18:57

Well let that be your BIG word for the day , yeah I had to look it up , lol

The Topic Terminator
  IP Logged
ohiomoto
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

WTF is JOG?
Reply #7 - 02/16/23 at 19:48:45

My sweet spot is 45-60 on the LS650 and that is just perfect for me.  Give me a faster bike and I'll just go faster.  lol

IP Logged
TheSneeze
Serious Thumper

Northern Nevada
Reply #8 - 02/16/23 at 20:48:38

ohiomoto wrote on 02/16/23 at 19:48:45:
My sweet spot is 45-60 on the LS650 and that is just perfect for me.  Give me a faster bike and I'll just go faster.  lol

I feel the same way with my Baja.   I have 13" of suspension and slightly north of 200 hp in a 2400 lb car.  A lot of friends are going bigger motors with more suspension.  My issue with that is the softer the ride the more comfortable you get - so you go faster.  That means you get in trouble quicker!  My car can outperform me.  I like it that way.  Not going to make it handle more because I would end up going faster into trouble!

Every twenty minute job is a stripped thread away from being a three day ordeal.

'87 LS650h Savage Street Tracker
'86 LS650g Savage (parts bike)
'81 Kawasaki KZ750e ELR tribute
  IP Logged
Ruttly
Serious Thumper

Thumpers Rule

Manteca , CA
Reply #9 - 02/17/23 at 09:49:52

That is no theory, that’s cold hard fact. But it’s not the goal.

The Topic Terminator
  IP Logged
Ruttly
Serious Thumper

Thumpers Rule

Manteca , CA
Reply #10 - 02/17/23 at 10:53:07

I just can’t leave a bike without trying to tune that last bit of git out of it !
When I talk about a speed dance on the rear wheel , it’s not a giant wheelie it’s just barely touching the ground all weight transfer is over the rear wheel under max wfo throttle , even the 505 lb sportster when held in wfo will do the dance. This is tuned where I want , yeah all these newer bike come that way , well most. It’s not all about putin a whoopin on Dave or anyone else it just  how I build/tune. Gearing was ok before but at 65/70 the throttle response was so sensitive every tiny bump in the road cause a rpm change. So taller tires & gearing changes (longer legs ) will definitely affect power. So some more carb & exhaust tuning might happen. If she still wants to dance under wfo and throttle response mellows out at freeway speed I’ll be real happy. Never gonna happen. Before at 65/70 it just wanted to go , not cruise but go , passing slower traffic was easy. Snap the throttle and go , but no cruisability. New gearing should cure somethings up in that area.
I love that feeling when a bike does the speed dance. On the H2 the power was constant when on the pipe , on a single to tune the bike to do the dance  it only last a bit till H/P catches up to load and everything smoothes out , but it’s a good goal to have and/or reach when tuning. Our engine was design as a cruiser entry level bike. Not a great engine for performance builds in comparison to the SR/XT/TT 500. But it stands up well it just won’t ever become a bike to build for track applications. A Hobby bike , there I said it. So those of you that actually crave wfo and the dance of a H2 , just know a built n tuned Savage gives me a thrill when she Just Kisses Fast.

The Topic Terminator
  IP Logged
verslagen1
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

Where there's a
will, I want to be
in it.

L.A. California
Reply #11 - 02/17/23 at 18:26:59

I'd rather have a slow comfortable... kiss   Cool

WWW   IP Logged
Ruttly
Serious Thumper

Thumpers Rule

Manteca , CA
Reply #12 - 02/17/23 at 21:29:30

I think the Yamaha SR500 was built to be a track bike , it’s a great engine. I was always curious about the savage only cause it has a starter , I did like it was a 650. Over the years even in stock form I still think it’s a great bike just on a different level. I still have to finish up my SR when the Savage is tuned. Was up in the warehouse today lookin at a SR frame and part of a Savage frame and both have the same size chain on the same side , hmmm. An SR with a happy button , I’ve been kickin this idea around for years , the Yamazuki SR695. It would be horrible I would have to destroy 2 classic motorcycles to make it happen.The SR has good handling & so so brakes.

The Topic Terminator
  IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
04/27/24 at 03:15:45

General CategoryThe Cafe › Just kissing fast

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.