Donate!
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register :: View Members
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Touring Motorcycle suggestion (Read 94 times)
TrevorKlein

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Touring Motorcycle suggestion
02/14/23 at 00:28:33

Hi everyone hope all of r going fine,
Actually I'm motorcycle lover and passionate traveler, Can anyone suggest me any best road touring motorcycle along with best quality saddle bags which could have enough space. I'm thinking about Kawasaki Versys-X 300 but still numerous motorcycles are there in market.
Thanks in advance Smiley  

IP Logged
Dave
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Camp Springs, Kentucky
Re: Touring Motorcycle suggestion
Reply #1 - 02/14/23 at 04:25:45

Tired of your Savage already?

The Versys-X is not really a "Touring" bike in my view - it is an "Adventure Touring" bike.  Here is my view of the bike World:

Touring Bike - Designed for traveling long distances on the highway with lots of bodywork for weather protection, plenty of luggage and big comfy seats.

Sport Touring Bike - Designed for traveling on paved roads in comfort with weather protection and luggage....but with a size and shape that allows it to be more maneuverable than a pure touring bike.  The design allows for spirited riding that approaches the performance of a Sport Bike.

Sport Bike -  Designed lean and fast for performance riding.  The bodywork is sleek, the seating position is aggressive, and the design is intended to provide for fast speeds.  These resemble road racing motorcycles with the addition of lights/turns signals to make them street legal.

Dual Sport - These are designed to be dirt bikes that are road legal.  The design favors off road riding more than the street performance, and most often they are single cylinder engines that provide lighter weight and more torque than a multi cylinder engine.  These bikes are not ideal for traveling long distances on the highway, as they don't offer any weather protection and the engine is not very smooth.

Cruiser - The cruiser most often has a low seat, forward pegs, and handlebars up around chest/shoulder level.  Most offer no weather protection...however there are some models with fairings and windshields.  The Harley Sportster, Indian Scout and even the Suzuki Savage fit into this style.

Standard:  This motorcycle is a design that most often resembles the basic motorcycle.......the classic motorcycle from 50 years ago.  Retro bikes like the Kawasaki W800, Yamaha SR400, Royal Enfield Continental GT and Meteor, etc.

Naked Bike:  These motorcycles are a modern version of the Standard motorcycle.  The design is more modern and styling is very industrial looking.....they are not sleek looking.

Motard/Super Moto:  These bikes are basically dirt bikes with street wheels/tires and lights/turn signals to make them street legal.  Their purpose is aggressive riding on pavement - in a style that is like dirt tracking pavement .  They offer no weather protection, the riders sits very upright, the engine focus is on performance - not good mpg or smooth cruising.

Versys 300-X:  I had a little Kawasaki 250 Ninja a few years ago, and it was a wonderfully fun bike.  The seating position was very comfortable for me, the weather protection was pretty good from the chest down, the little engine could cruise around the country roads calmly or blast down the interstate at 80mph all day long.  The Verys 300 uses and updated engine of the 250 engine that I had, and it is a great little engine that is fully capable of getting you anywhere.  A review that I read of the 300-X states that they are using the 300 Ninja engine - but they didn't change the transmission ratios between gears but added 3 teeth to the rear sprocket in an effort to provide lower speeds for dirt riding.  The result is that when on the road the engine is spinning considerably faster.....they suggested if your use is mostly highway you should install a smaller rear sprocket to lower the engine rpm on the highway.  The upright seating position appears to be comfortable.  If you need luggage you can buy the factory bags - doing this greatly simplifies the installation and most often provides the ability to remove or attach the luggage with a key.

The Honda CB500X is a model similar to the Versys 300 and would provide more power and likely be more capable at highway speeds, The Suzuki SV650 has been a popular motorcycle for many years, Moto Guzzi has some nice bikes with shaft drive, .....there are a lot of potential motorcycles to buy and they are all fun!  It has taken me many years of bike buying/selling to get what I currently own - but a new rider likely shouldn't be buying/riding the bikes I have......your riding needs are likely far different than mine.

What is your use of a motorcycle?  Do you use it to commute in the city?  Do you ride for travel or just for an afternoon of fun?  

Someday I will be old......But not today!

IP Logged
Ruttly
Serious Thumper

Thumpers Rule

Manteca , CA
Reply #2 - 02/14/23 at 08:53:55

I don’t have a long distance bike, guess the Sportster is the closest thing , it’s ok but it winds up real quick.
02 Sportster
80 SR500
86 Honda Reflex
70 BSA vintage flat tracker , lol , it was vintage when I bought it in 1979
96 Savage Tracker

Clearly it’s plain to see it’s all about raising hell , short rides with a few just over 100 mile rides. 3 of them are slated to go , the ones without an   electric leg/happy button. Sportster is probably going too. Leaving me with the tracker to be my daily rider to terrorize the town. Still waiting on that BSA so I can have a proper road bike. Maybe revisit the Yamazuki with the SR. Shocked

Never really travel by bike , near retirement so no commuting , it’s all about being somewhere else , therapy , clear the head of life and focus on the road. Turn off everything in my mind , Cel phone too , just ride ! Wow it’s been awhile can’t wait to rev the piss out of it and dump the clutch. No Cel phone holders or chargers , no cup holders , nothing. Seat , pegs , bars and a big as$ single. Cool

The Topic Terminator
  IP Logged
wheelbender6

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #3 - 02/14/23 at 16:00:53

I would be looking for a mid size cruiser bike. They are heavier and smoother than the Versys 300. Its easy to install bags and a windshield on a cruiser too.

IP Logged
och
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #4 - 02/15/23 at 17:44:49

Pure touring bikes are heavy and hard to handle, we are talking 900lbs.

Versus 300 isn't a tourer at all, it is too small, too underpowered, doesn't come with much protection or luggage. You can modify and accessorize it, but it still a starter bike.

Versys 1000 on the other hand, while also isn't a true tourer, but many people now prefer these types of sport tourers to pure tourers because they are lighter and easier to maneuver.

Tell us what your budget is, and the types of roads and lengths you like to travel, this way we can make proper suggestions.

IP Logged
MMRanch
Serious Thumper

Evil flourishes if
Good Men do Nothing.

LYNCHBURG TN
Reply #5 - 02/16/23 at 08:16:04

I think your on the right track TrevorKlein

In my humble opinion the factors that really matter are :

1.   Will the machine run interstate speeds as good or better than the long distance 18 wheel trucks that run the interstate everyday for a living ?
2.   Can you put enough luggage on the machine to haul what you need?
3.   Does that luggage lock and come off the bike and into the motel room with you for security ?
4.   At some point you will find the fuel tank size matters .  So does you machine have at least 250 miles of fuel per fill-up ?
5.   Thinking of fuel , I know fuel MPG matters to me.  What I'm getting at is that my car gets 40 mpg and my brothers gold wing gets 35mpg.  

Sure a "SUPER BIKE" looks good on Saturday Night , but just "How much machine" do you really need to run 75mph all day long ?

I think the 300 Versey would do just fine , and be a lot better than one of those "Scream Machines" with saddle bags .   Cool
But
Yes , do the sprocket change to raise the final gear ratio before you head out across the country.  You can always down shift to 5th gear when you get to the Rockies  or the Smokies !  Wink

Are you touring to see the country ... or ... to blow-a-way everything else on the highway ?  

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=L6V2zWj1ZFQ

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XYYf7iG1ih4

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Y1_L2vHuTPk

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SINyNWwFvFk

I see and feel the Holy Spirit in the world , as does anybody who has eyes to see. How far Man's corruption reaches into Organized Religion , we may never know
WWW MMRanch MMRanch   IP Logged
springman
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Spring, Texas
Reply #6 - 02/16/23 at 14:14:44

Nice input there double M. I happen to like your rationale. I do prefer the CB500X but the Versys 300 I believe would do the job just fine.

06 S40 seat mod, airhawk, HD muffler, Shinko 712 140-90-15 rear tire, Shinko 230 front tire, versy cam chain tensioner, Rotella oil, Volar brake pads, EBC clutch & springs
  IP Logged
MMRanch
Serious Thumper

Evil flourishes if
Good Men do Nothing.

LYNCHBURG TN
Reply #7 - 02/16/23 at 18:41:40

Yes Springman .

I like the Honda 500 better too , It's got TUBELESS TIRES !   Wink

But

That big fuel tank on the 300 Kawasaki and the better fuel millage sure looks good !   Smiley

Either way is a winner the way I see it !!

Versey 300 vs Honda CB500X

Thank goodness for utube !  Cool

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Y1_L2vHuTPk

I see and feel the Holy Spirit in the world , as does anybody who has eyes to see. How far Man's corruption reaches into Organized Religion , we may never know
WWW MMRanch MMRanch   IP Logged
Ruttly
Serious Thumper

Thumpers Rule

Manteca , CA
Reply #8 - 02/17/23 at 09:39:19

There is no replacement for displacement , absolutely the 500 !

The Topic Terminator
  IP Logged
Dave
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Camp Springs, Kentucky
Reply #9 - 02/25/23 at 02:57:33

Someday I will be old......But not today!

IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
05/09/24 at 13:37:37

General CategoryThe Cafe › Touring Motorcycle suggestion

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.