Send Topic Print
Radials (Read 67 times)
Ruttly
Serious Thumper

Thumpers Rule

Manteca , CA
Radials
01/07/23 at 09:41:24

Alright here’s ground I’ve never crossed before. Who runs radial tires on their bike ? I’d like to hear about them , handling , braking , feel , likes & dislikes. I got a radial rear tire on my trials bike , at 12 psi it uses everything for traction , just a huge foot print. It feels like it wants to pass the front tire on cement , a strange feeling. It’s definitely meant for competition and not the street. But I’m talkin bout performance road tires.

The Topic Terminator
  IP Logged
Dave
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Camp Springs, Kentucky
Re: Radials
Reply #1 - 01/08/23 at 03:44:22

My sport touring bikes all use radial tires.  I really can't make much of a comment about the handling difference - as the 17" wheels on the sport bikes use radials and the Savage 18" wheels have only used bias ply (apple/oranges comparison).

The modern tires they make for sport touring bikes have incredible traction with a hard compound down the center and softer compounds on the sides.......they can corner at lean angles that are beyond my comfort level on public roads.

I can remember the first radial tires I ever used.......it was on my 1964 VW bus.  I got a set of Semperit radials - and I was amazed how much easier they rolled than the bias ply tires.....I really felt the difference and it was most noticeable as you came to a stop (I had to apply more brake to slow the bus down).

Someday I will be old......But not today!

IP Logged
Ruttly
Serious Thumper

Thumpers Rule

Manteca , CA
Reply #2 - 01/08/23 at 18:28:38

Thanks Dave I totally forgot about the lower rolling resistance , better transfer of power , better fuel mileage, overall smoother ride. Think the Dunlop 404s got to go they just don’t look right on this bike. Time to try some $$$ radials , get my nasty evil look back. I know 404s are a great tire. More tires for the rack , I will sell them.

The Topic Terminator
  IP Logged
zipidachimp
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

surrey, b.c.
Reply #3 - 01/12/23 at 01:35:57

just wonderin' : can tubes be used in radials?
Cheers!  Cool

IP Logged
ohiomoto
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

WTF is JOG?
Reply #4 - 01/12/23 at 17:45:36

You can put a tube in anything.  It will add some weight and stiffen the sidewall slightly.  Being a radial tire or not really doesn't have anything to do with being tubed or tubeless.

IP Logged
Ruttly
Serious Thumper

Thumpers Rule

Manteca , CA
Reply #5 - 01/14/23 at 09:09:02

Yeah I’ll be running tubes. They used to make radial inner tubes for cars , I wondering if they make them for bikes. It can’t make a big difference anyways. I want it to handle well of course but it has to have “the look” too.
Never compromise on your vision , keep it changing until it’s exactly what you want. Remember everyone will be scrutinizing your vision , you hard work. Criticisms & questions abound. Your goal should be nothing less than a WOW factor !

The Topic Terminator
  IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
04/26/24 at 04:28:29

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › Radials

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.