Donate!
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register :: View Members
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Troubles with my new Savage (Read 67 times)
Jeremy Pavleck
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Troubles with my new Savage
01/08/23 at 21:37:08

Hey guys,
Recently I picked up a 2003 Savage with only 718 miles on it. Despite its low miles it was a little rough around the edges and sat in a barn a long long time.

I tore it apart, cleaned the carb in my ultrasonic cleaner and reassembled with parts from a carb kit. Eventually ended up cleaning the carb 3 times and replacing everything internal twice just in case I messed something up.

It runs way too rich. Any amount of throttle leads to a thick plume coming out of the exhast.  The idle isn't consistent, and often it will die once it warms up and won't start again until it cools down.

Adjusting the air/fuel screw literally does nothing at all.

If I give it a little bit of throttle it will start to stumble, I have to twist past halfway for it to really start to get rev at all - but only sometimes.

The bike was completely stock. I did swap out the petcock with a raptor to see if that helps and it didn't.

Replaced the plug. The old one was black and the new one very quickly became that way too.

Should I try changing out the pilot jet? I have a set of mikuni pilot jets and main jets I can swap around if need be.  Only reason I havent swapped anything yet is because, well, it shouldn't need a different jet if I haven't done anything to it right?

I do have a cone filter I intend to put on it after I pull out the airbox if it matters.

Only thing else I can think of is when I got it there was fuel mixed with the oil in the crankcase and I wonder if the guy I got it from had gotten it running with that mess in there and would that have messed anything up. Other than that I'm not sure why it's just not behaving.

Thanks.

I'm in Dallas, btw.

IP Logged
verslagen1
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

Where there's a
will, I want to be
in it.

L.A. California
Re: Troubles with my new Savage
Reply #1 - 01/08/23 at 22:33:43

Jeremy Pavleck wrote on 01/08/23 at 21:37:08:
Adjusting the air/fuel screw literally does nothing at all.

this means it's probably too large so change it to a smaller size
Quote:
If I give it a little bit of throttle it will start to stumble, I have to twist past halfway for it to really start to get rev at all - but only sometimes.

sounds too rich too
Quote:
Replaced the plug. The old one was black and the new one very quickly became that way too.

only the ceramic matters, if it's black then its rich.
Quote:
Should I try changing out the pilot jet? I have a set of mikuni pilot jets and main jets I can swap around if need be.  Only reason I havent swapped anything yet is because, well, it shouldn't need a different jet if I haven't done anything to it right?

a quick check would be to pull out the air filter and leave the air box open, that'll make it really lean.

2003 pilot 52.5 and mail 145 white spacer should be about 1/8" thick

http://suzukisavage.com/cgi-bin/YaBB.pl?board=tech;action=display;num=1098869040

check all the jets, they may not be in the right locations.

WWW   IP Logged
Gary_in_NJ
Serious Thumper

LS650 Cafe Racer

Amongst the Twisty Roads
Reply #2 - 01/09/23 at 06:13:10

Failed fuel Petcock - guaranteed.

A life-time student of motorcycling.
LS650 Cafe, DRZ400SM, FZ6N, SV650S, CB900C, Ducati ST2, CB550F-SS
My LS650=> http://suzukisavage.com/yabb2.2/Attachments/Left.JPG
  IP Logged
Jeremy Pavleck
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #3 - 01/09/23 at 09:37:40

Ok, so I tore the carb down again and its sitting in front of me here.

The main jet is #145, the pilot jet isn't stamped with a setting.

For the air jets, the main (larger) air jet is stamped 230, I'm not sure if that's what its supposed to be or not. The smaller air jet isn't stamped. They look like this:

Now in this new kit I have I have 2 jets that, this is what they look like:

One is a little taller than the other. which air jet is which here? Neither one are the larger size of the one stamped 230, they both are the same size, the size of the smaller air jet. Anyone have any ideas?

IP Logged
ohiomoto
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

WTF is JOG?
Reply #4 - 01/09/23 at 20:35:33

The first thing is that those carb kits are garbage.  You have the correct main jets, who knows about the pilot jets.  I would go back to the stock jets if they are usable.

Since you have the raptor already it sounds like a stuck slide or dislodged diaphragm to me.  It happened to me once and I couldn't get the bike to go more than 20 mph in 3rd great.  

Get the proper jets back in there first.  You can inspect the diaphragm and slide while you are in there.  If the black coating is worn off of the slide, consider replacing it.

« Last Edit: 01/11/23 at 21:07:25 by ohiomoto »  
  IP Logged
DragBikeMike
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Honolulu
Reply #5 - 01/10/23 at 10:22:22

Key words & phrases: "and reassembled with parts from a carb kit".

I agree with ohiomoto, the carb kits are junk.  Review this old post to get the details on what to look out for with one of those carb kits.  The parts may look good but they aren't.  The post gives all the specifics.

http://suzukisavage.com/cgi-bin/YaBB.pl?num=1641171298

While you're in the throws of this repair, might as well replace the petcock as previously suggested.  As a minimum, test the stock petcock to verify that the diaphragm isn't leaking, fuel flows as it should, etc.  But you should ditch the stock petcock as soon as possible.

Good luck.

Oooooooops!  My bad, didn’t see that you changed the peacock.  I assume you plugged the vacuum nipple on the carb.  Did you plug it?

« Last Edit: 01/10/23 at 15:15:28 by DragBikeMike »  

Knowledge is power.
  IP Logged
Serowbot
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

OK.... so what's the
speed of dark?

Tucson Az
Reply #6 - 01/11/23 at 08:07:56

Also, there should be a brass washer under the main jet