Donate!
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register :: View Members
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
6500 watt single cylinder generator ---- best oil (Read 87 times)
Oldfeller--FSO
Serious Thumper
ModSquad

Hobby is now
"concentrated
neuropany"

Fayetteville, NC
6500 watt single cylinder generator ---- best oil
12/07/22 at 14:19:26

Wife got to reading on her feed about some angry people shooting up a couple of North Carolina substation main transformers to protest some trans dancer/speakers at some sort ofpublic meeting ---- with this shooting actually being done from distances like a quarter of a mile away so the shooters cannot be caught or stopped very easily ---- i.e. the end result being stranding a quarter of the state of NC without home power for over a week and actually costing lots of families their full freezer loads full of food.  

She got concerned that this would spread to our local power supply substations and she instantly began her initial attempts to find a home fridge and freezer supporting "relatively small" gasoline powered generator.

When my wife gets "urgent", things get done.   She is good about that.

===================================

Best price/performance mix we found locally available was a Harbor Freight 6500 watt Predator brand generator (5500 watt steady draw, 6500 peak starting draw) that can run our freezers and our refrigerators with no real struggle.  

In setting the Predator unit up, I discovered that the engine only holds a single quart of oil and it has a 25 use hour recommended oil change frequency.

Research showed that a lot of these Predator gas engine fail early due to oil related issues just like our Savage bikes used to do.   Main issue was "low oil" and the oil thinning out and exiting the engine unexpectedly leading to total generator failure.  

The engines do have a low oil sensor, but a batch of oil that is partially destroyed by heat effects will lead to some engine slow down which leads to increased governor speed requests which make the problem get slowly worse and worse until the engine shuts down or simply fails completely.

Recommended owner's manual oil viscosity on the Predator is for a simple dino based 10w30 oil.   Current specs for any of the modern car 10w30 dino oil are actually pretty miserable right now compared to any HDEO diesel oil.  

so, I went and bought me a gallon of Rotella T6 full synthetic 5w40 as the cost of losing my fridge and freezer loads of expensive food makes the cost of the generator and a ongoing Rot T6 regular oil change habit to seem pretty reasonable cost-wise.

Rotella T6 won't suddenly get hot and fail at any temperatures that the generator will work itself up to against a steady generator loading pattern.   Rotella T6 won't thin out abruptly and exit the engine en-mass like a recommended 10w30 dino oil could do.

See, having me some Savage experience turns out to be some actually useful stuff.       Grin

« Last Edit: 12/07/22 at 22:38:40 by Oldfeller--FSO »  

Former Savage Owner
  IP Logged
verslagen1
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

Where there's a
will, I want to be
in it.

L.A. California
Re: 6500 watt single cylinder generator ---- best
Reply #1 - 12/07/22 at 14:53:00

Oldfeller--FSO wrote on 12/07/22 at 14:19:26:
 In setting the Predator unit up, I discovered that the engine only holds a single quart of oil and it has a 25 use hour recommended oil change frequency.

So... change the oil every day and you might need to run it for 7 days?
Also, large gas tank good for 14.5 hrs at 50% load?

You'll need to figure out how long the freezers need to run each day to maintain temperature cause the generator can't run all day.

WWW   IP Logged
Oldfeller--FSO
Serious Thumper
ModSquad

Hobby is now
"concentrated
neuropany"

Fayetteville, NC
Reply #2 - 12/07/22 at 15:01:34

I improved the air filtration by soaking the air filtration media with light oil (olive oil, actually).   This will make the crank case oil last longer as Rot 6 won't be breaking down under the steady state run usage and the crap in the air won't get through the air filter media near as much.

I think 2-3 days between oil changes may wind up being possible, but we will see.   There is no oil filtration in the engine, so a super magnet installation might well be out there in the future as well.

I checked a generator site that covered RV generators in some depth.  You can run 100 hour intervals on full synthetic oils, but your shut down system for low oil tends to kick in on you as wear consumption can drink down a single quart of oil fairly quickly.

« Last Edit: 12/07/22 at 22:31:40 by Oldfeller--FSO »  

Former Savage Owner
  IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

East Texas, 1/2 dallas/la.
Reply #3 - 12/07/22 at 15:53:41

If you have propane and the tank has a wet line, look for a carburetor kit that lets you run gas or propane. The oil stays much cleaner on propane.
If the gas station is outta power, the pumps don't work well.

The people never give up their liberties but under some delusion.- Edmund Burke.
  IP Logged
Eegore
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #4 - 12/08/22 at 08:00:19

"If the gas station is outta power, the pumps don't work well."

I've noticed this is something people often times forget about the generator equation.

I stopped keeping frozen food and went with shelf-stable for long periods without power.

Also isn't the Predator an old Honda design?

« Last Edit: 12/08/22 at 10:59:05 by Eegore »  
  IP Logged
Oldfeller--FSO
Serious Thumper
ModSquad

Hobby is now
"concentrated
neuropany"

Fayetteville, NC
Reply #5 - 12/09/22 at 06:24:08

Eegore,

Yep,  I think the Predator is a Chinese modified copy of somebody's original design.  

Mebbe Honda, mebbe Coleman, mebbe DeVilbiss as I do not remember who actually made it first.   The general design layout is pushing 40-50 years old by now ......

Most of today's larger capacity "portable" generators take this same shape & format along with using the same tilted single cylinder engine (because it fits in the space requirements so much better than a straight upright engine).   Indian was the first to supply the tilted small engine format, then Briggs and Honda did it next.   Been around a while, in other words.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B09SH3519K/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o00_s...

I bought some of these 1/4" rod style super magnets to add to the drain plugs of all of my stuff that lacks an exterior oil filter for me to put a sizable ring magnet on the end of the steel can.   Bad news is the engine oil temp in the little generators gets right up to the temp that begins to demagnetize the n45 super magnet material.

Such is life, and the temperature demag issue is true for all drain plug magnet rigs that are being sold today.   I had a very old one for my Savage and it still picked up some crap each oil change.

As of today, I have 30 gallons of E10 gas sitting in my cars and a separate "Stabil treated" 10 gallon supply sitting in two 5 gallon gas cans.

So, I can keep the generator going for a week or until somebody manages to rig up their own generator to run their gas selling pumps and stuff.   I think most major gas and food places have backup generators available to rent for the North Carolina hurricane season anyway, so I would expect to be able to buy some gas somewhere.

« Last Edit: 12/09/22 at 17:34:20 by Oldfeller--FSO »  

Former Savage Owner
  IP Logged
MMRanch
Serious Thumper

Evil flourishes if
Good Men do Nothing.

LYNCHBURG TN
Reply #6 - 12/09/22 at 18:01:23

Reading about ya'll getting ready for the "Un-expected" , reminds me that I haven't started my generator in over a year .   Embarrassed

The one I have now is a 17HP w/electric start , don't remember the wattage ,  Roll Eyes  it doesn't matter if it doesn't Start !   Grin

I wonder about the "Inverters" , I have one of them that is rated for 1000 watts.
1000w/120v = 8.333 amps  ...  is that enough to run a Freezer ?

I see and feel the Holy Spirit in the world , as does anybody who has eyes to see. How far Man's corruption reaches into Organized Religion , we may never know
WWW MMRanch MMRanch   IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

Reply #7 - 12/09/22 at 19:57:02

Most likely that is plenty. Of Course having a look at the tag will tell you.
A full freezer uses less juice. Not Packed,but loaded up good. IDK about frost free,

The people never give up their liberties but under some delusion.- Edmund Burke.
  IP Logged
verslagen1
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

Where there's a
will, I want to be
in it.

L.A. California
Reply #8 - 12/09/22 at 20:39:50

google says full load is 6.5 amps
but you need a 15/20 amp dedicated circuit because of inrush.
1000 watt is most likely peak
while it will handle the load, I'd want twice as much for anything for continuous duty... or you'll be deep in dooty.   Grin

WWW   IP Logged
Dave
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Camp Springs, Kentucky
Reply #9 - 12/10/22 at 03:18:25

That 20 hour oil change interval has to be a mistake - I found this thread where folks believe the manual has a mistake.  The table for maintenance is not very accurate and lists you should change oil every 20 hours or every month, 100 hours or 6 months, 300 hours and yearly......or and/or every 2 years!  It appears that even if you don't use your generator this table expects you will change your oil monthly!    (I would be tempted to believe you need to change the break in oil at 20 hours - then 100 hours after the engine is broken in.  Depending on where you store your generator - starting the dormant generator and changing oil yearly would likely be sufficient.

https://manuals.harborfreight.com/manuals/63000-63999/63083.pdf

https://bobistheoilguy.com/forums/threads/predator-20-hr-oil-change-interval....

Most small engines can go 50 -100 hours - my Honda generator recommends changes at 100 hours.

I have some experience with generators, as we have had a few "power outage" events in our rural area.  Most of the events only last a few hours and we really don't need to hook up the generator.  we have had one event that lasted a week when a leftover hurricane knocked down a lot of trees, another event lasted a few days.  Every now and then the outages will last for half a day.  We only need to run the generator a few hours to get the freezer and fridge cold - then we can shut it off for a very long time before we need to start it again.....we can sleep all night with the generator turned off.

For the fridge and freezer you only need power about 1/3rd of the day, and a small 2,000 watt generator is plenty of power to keep them running.  Start the generator and let it run until the fridge/freezer are cold - then you can turn the generator off for a few hours.  I have a watt meter in my generator setup and it only requires 1,300 watts to power both the fridge and freezer.  Luckily all of our long power outage events have occurred when the outside temperature was warm and we didn't need heat.  Our house is all electric and our water heater requires 3,800 watts - so we turn that off.  Running lights and a TV or computer adds very little extra load.  When cooking we need to have power as the gas oven has electric controls and will not operate without electric power......we can cook on the outdoor grill when necessary.

I have a 7,500 watt/220V generator that can run the 220V appliances (furnace,AC,water heater) and just about everything else in the house when it is needed - however it is loud and uses a lot of fuel.  I have a "lock out" in the main circuit breaker in the garage and an outside generator plug to connect the generator.  The generator is stored in the garage and only needs to be wheeled outside and connected.........it only takes a few minutes to plug the generator in and get the house running on the generator.  I have a smaller Honda 110V inverter/generator that we got for our camper that is far more fuel efficient and quiet - we run that most of the time and it connects to the same outdoor plug.

I am very "sick/obsessed" about fuel and storage.  I store my generator without any fuel.  The generator is stored in my insulated garage and it is not subject to extreme temperature or humidity changes.  I add a small amount of fuel and start and run the generator a few times a year.  My Generac generator is more than 20 years old and I have never had any fuel/carb problems and it always starts the first pull.  Some folks will argue that storing without fuel will cause the gaskets/seals/fuel lines to dry up - I don't believe that is true.  The thing that causes rubber parts to deteriorate is storing in sheds/barns that get really hot in the summer......those little sheds can easily get up over 100 -120 degrees in the full sun.  (I have replaced the fuel line a time or two.......they do age and need replaced periodically).

I have a couple of 55 gallon fuel drums where I store gasoline for use in my lawn mowing/emergencies - the yard maintenance on my property requires a lot of fuel in a year and I don't want to run to the gas station every week (I also have 1 drum of diesel fuel for the tractor).  I fill the drum and add Sta-Bil and seal it up - I alternate the drums and use up the fuel in one drum over the next year in my mowers and yard equipment.  I have 1 full drum and 1 partial drum of gasoline at all times (I generally fill up in the fall so I have 2 full drums all winter).  I realize that not everyone has the ability or need to have this much fuel - but having a couple of 5 gallon cans of generator fuel is not unreasonable.  If you are going to store fuel for extended periods get "ethanol free" gasoline if possible, add Sta-Bil, and only use metal cans. 
« Last Edit: 12/10/22 at 09:55:37 by Dave »  

Maintenance_Schedule.PNG

Someday I will be old......But not today!

IP Logged
Dave
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Camp Springs, Kentucky
Reply #10 - 12/10/22 at 10:00:56

Here is the maintenance schedule for the 3,500 watt Predator generator.  i bet this is more likely the kind of schedule they intended.

3500Generator.PNG

IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

Reply #11 - 12/10/22 at 12:56:53

Dave, when you put gas in a 55 gallon drum, how much do you put in?
How do you store the drum?
I ask because I was doing that for a while and was alarmed at the pressure I was seeing. I was digging a pit and parking them in that with plywood for shade. Did the same with diesel. I have a discarded fuel pump and a long enough hose to fill whatever and a big fuel filter.

IP Logged
Dave
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Camp Springs, Kentucky
Reply #12 - 12/10/22 at 13:51:03

justin_o_guy2 wrote on 12/10/22 at 12:56:53:
Dave, when you put gas in a 55 gallon drum, how much do you put in?
How do you store the drum?

I fill the drums up to an inch or so from the top, add Sta-Bil and then cap them up.

Most of the time the temperatures around here are reasonable - in the summer we can have 90 degree temperatures for a few weeks.

The pressures in the drums never seem to be excessive....they do hiss a bit when I unscrew the lids.

IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

Reply #13 - 12/10/22 at 14:30:59

We see triple digits and when they are full,they don't dome up all that bad, but at about 3/4 they started worrying me, so I stop at the upper reinforcement line,and try to keep them from getting too hot. It's looking like I should do that again. If my back was okay, phhht..

IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
04/26/24 at 01:27:49

General CategoryThe Cafe › 6500 watt single cylinder generator ---- best oil

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.