Donate!
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register :: View Members
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
2007 S40 - Carb Questions (Read 116 times)
irobb
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

2007 S40 - Carb Questions
11/24/22 at 07:32:35

Hi All,

Happy Thanksgiving. New member here. I did search first but there's so many posts about my specific question below.

I recently got an 07 S40 and it pops and cracks each deceleration and seems to not be able to accelerate under full throttle, while continuing to backfire and pop.

Based on the parts diagram I found online, it looks like the OEM carb for my year LS650 K7 carb PN 13200-24CA0 was replaced by PN 13200-24C91.

However, the carb is near $500 as of this post.

I tried fiddling with the idle screw mixture on the right side (the one you have to drill out) as well as following the guides to stop the backfiring.

I think the previous owner might have messed with the spacers or jets inside.

Sorry so long, just giving context first.

My question is, since the idle screw mixture isn't working for me, are there jet kits that anyone can recommend that I try? I would also take the opportunity to clean the carb if I need to remove it.

There are no exhaust leaks.

Anyone have any suggestions? I'd like to do this myself and not bring it into a shop.

Happy Thanksgiving!  Thanks in advance.  Smiley

IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

East Texas, 1/2 dallas/la.
Re: 2007 S40 - Carb Questions
Reply #1 - 11/24/22 at 07:57:45

If it was parked for months the carb might just be nasty. The gas should be replaced, the petcock should be on prime to make sure it's delivering. You can prove fuel flow by letting it drain gas into a can. You can drain the carb bowl, to make sure it's getting filled, catch it in a clear cup. Have a look at what comes out. If you can drop the bowl you can eyeball in there and run a wire through the jets.

Is this why the guy sold it? Did he swap out the carburetor and never got it to run right?

You need to prove your fuel flow all the way into the bowl.
The petcock is old and they are the source of much aggravation .
So put it on Prime and check it for flow.
If still no joy
Drop the bowl and see what jets are in it and are they crusty?

The people never give up their liberties but under some delusion.- Edmund Burke.
  IP Logged
verslagen1
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

Where there's a
will, I want to be
in it.

L.A. California
Reply #2 - 11/24/22 at 08:12:08

Quote:
Based on the parts diagram I found online, it looks like the OEM carb for my year LS650 K7 carb PN 13200-24CA0 was replaced by PN 13200-24C91.

That's usual notation for all parts, the part issued with the year vs. the current part.

Quote:
My question is, since the idle screw mixture isn't working for me, are there jet kits that anyone can recommend that I try? I would also take the opportunity to clean the carb if I need to remove it.

Generally, if adjusting the idle mixture screw doesn't do anything then the idle jet is too large, go down 1 size.

Quote:
I recently got an 07 S40 and it pops and cracks each deceleration and seems to not be able to accelerate under full throttle, while continuing to backfire and pop.

I would say that many problems can be a dirty carb or a bad petcock, so that would be the 1st thing I would do.  And while you're in there, note what jets you have.

WWW   IP Logged
ohiomoto
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

WTF is JOG?
Reply #3 - 11/24/22 at 16:56:22

Start with the petcock. And, don't overlook a sticky slide.  It will present as a very lean condition with a lack of acceleration.

IP Logged
irobb
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #4 - 11/25/22 at 08:57:12

Hi All,

I changed the petcock when I got it and also fresh gas and oil change...

I think I should just remove the car, clean fully, inspect, and determine what jets are in it.

Then, based on the jets, order a new set that comes with varying sizes...  

So, is there a good site folks like to use, other than Amazon, to order carb parts for our S40? I've ordered from revzilla before but am hoping there's something else?

IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

Reply #5 - 11/25/22 at 11:17:21

Replaced with the same vacuum petcock they come with?

The people never give up their liberties but under some delusion.- Edmund Burke.
  IP Logged
irobb
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #6 - 11/25/22 at 12:06:57

justin_o_guy2 wrote on 11/25/22 at 11:17:21:
Replaced with the same vacuum petcock they come with?

I replaced the petcock with this https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B07DNRR4MB/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_search_asin_titl...

Should I use a different one?

IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

Reply #7 - 11/25/22 at 13:03:56

You need to Prove your fuel flow.

Sharing what you have already done when asking for help is considered good form.

How did you handle the vacuum line?

IP Logged
DragBikeMike
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Honolulu
Reply #8 - 11/25/22 at 14:57:51

I replaced the petcock with this https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B07DNRR4MB/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_search_asin_titl...

Should I use a different one?

Yes.  You should buy a genuine Yamaha Raptor petcock.  Part number 5LP-24500-01-00.  That $11 unit is bogus.  If you are dead set on using the Amazon knock-off, verify that it flows at least 8 ounces per minute.  That should be sufficient to support 50 horsepower.

For main jets and pilot jets, I have always had good luck with Jets-R-Us.  You want Mikuni Large Round Main Jets N100.604, and Mikuni Pilot jets (no emulsion holes) N151.067.

https://www.jetsrus.com/a_jets_by_carburetor_type/a_jet_kits_mikuni_selection...

Of course, genuine Suzuki carburetor parts are always a safe bet.  You can purchase main jets and pilot jets through Suzuki dealers.

For all other stock carburetor parts (needle jet, slide, slide needle, float, float needle & seat, mixture screw, TEV diaphragm, etc.), buy genuine Suzuki parts.  The overhaul kits are sketchy at best.  They cause big problems that are very difficult to diagnose.  This post provides more info.

http://suzukisavage.com/cgi-bin/YaBB.pl?num=1641171298

Good luck.

Knowledge is power.
  IP Logged
irobb
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #9 - 11/25/22 at 17:59:46

Thanks! I'm ordering the raptor right now. It'll be here Monday. I'll post my results.

IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

Reply #10 - 11/25/22 at 18:50:53

justin_o_guy2 wrote on 11/25/22 at 13:03:56:
You need to Prove your fuel flow.

Sharing what you have already done when asking for help is considered good form.

How did you handle the vacuum line?

IP Logged
irobb
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #11 - 11/27/22 at 10:24:50

The petcock got here early by one day so I began draining the fuel from the tank by switching petcock to PRI.  No fuel came out other than when I had the petcock on PRI.

Regardless, I am ordering new jets, will clean the carb, replace the generic petcock with the good one (I hope it's the good one)...

Here's the petcock I ordered:

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B004K9I25C?psc=1&ref=ppx_yo2ov_dt_b_product_details

IP Logged
J Mac

Laissez Les Bon
Temps Roulez

Louisiana, USA
Reply #12 - 11/27/22 at 12:39:53

Thanks for posting that, irobb.  It's interesting that Amazon indicates it's frequently bought with vacuum port caps  Wink

“These go to 11.” --Nigel Tufnel
  IP Logged
irobb
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #13 - 11/29/22 at 13:25:58

Alrighty! I disassembled and removed the carb to put in my sonic cleaner.

During the cleaning, I noticed that the float has a pinhole on one of the sides.  Based on that, it seems that I should at least buy a new float.

However, I also took the opportunity to mark down the jets that I could read.

From the top looking down with the choke on the left, here's the jets I see:

Left side: 45
Right Side: 230

Flipped over, the middle jet bottom, I cannot read what it says.

The mixture screw is also in need of replacement.

So, for now, I'll order a new mixture screw and float.  

Any other things you guys think I should replace while I am at it?

Thanks!

IP Logged
DragBikeMike
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Honolulu
Reply #14 - 11/30/22 at 11:01:26

"Any other things you guys think I should replace while I am at it?"

The o-ring that seals the needle-seat to the carb body.  You will remove the seat for cleaning and you should replace that o-ring.

The o-ring that seals the mixture screw to the carb body.

Please tell us a bit more about what you found inside the carb.

What color is the slide-needle?  Is it aluminum?  Can you read the markings on the needle?  What are they?  Is there a single groove in the slide-needle for the e-clip, or are there three grooves?

What color is your needle-jet?  Is it silver indicating stainless steel?  Are there any markings on the needle-jet?  If so, what are they?

Is the filter-screen on top of the float needle-seat clean, or was it plugged up with crud?

Did you remove the pilot jet?  Are there holes on the side of the pilot jet?  There should not be holes on the side.  Can you see through the tiny orifice through the center of the pilot jet when you hold it up to a bright light?

The #45 & #230 air jets in the top of your carb are correct.

Knowledge is power.
  IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
03/28/24 at 16:35:29

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › 2007 S40 - Carb Questions

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.