I blame DBM for this.. (Read 153 times)
Armen
Serious Thumper

Half-Witted
Wrench-Jockey from
Jersey

I blame DBM for this..
11/17/22 at 16:00:42

On my bike, I have my first incarnation of a light flywheel. I made a flywheel holder tool that uses the threaded holes. Since the early (sorta-light) flywheels still had the threaded holes, I was able to use the tool to hold the flywheel while I torqued the mondo nut.
Then, DBM came up with the idea of an ultra-light flywheel, which is so small that the threaded holes get cut away.
I made a bunch of these, and Dave sold them.
Kept a couple for myself. Figured I’d go with the ultra-light if I ever had the left side off again.
I happened to mention to DBM that I was just going to install the nut with a rattle gun.
OH NO!
He says.
Very shallow nut, very easy to make too loose or strip the few threads it has.
He shows me the clever flywheel clamping gizmo he made.
Woof.
I knew he was right.
So, now that there is snow on the ground, and heat in the garage, I decided to make said tool.
Had a chunk of pretty sexy aluminum, some stainless 10mm Allen bolts, and  some time.
Many hours and many chips later, I’m done.
Made a 1/2” square hole for a ratchet or breaker bar. Buggered up the measurements for the corner holes, so it looks a little wonky, but it works.

7A3243D8-BD2B-4D68-A2D2-CE01186DDC6A.jpeg

In theory, theory and reality are the same. In reality, they aren't...
  IP Logged
TheSneeze
Serious Thumper

Northern Nevada
Re: I blame DBM for this..
Reply #1 - 11/17/22 at 16:36:44

Very nice!  Now that I have one of these, I can get more special tools made.  I have this hatred of buying special tools for some reason.  Probably a personality quirk of mine.

20220628_1022581_001.jpg

Every twenty minute job is a stripped thread away from being a three day ordeal.

'87 LS650h Savage Street Tracker (destroyed by fire)
'86 LS650g Savage (parts bike)
'81 Kawasaki KZ750e ELR tribut
  IP Logged
Armen
Serious Thumper

Half-Witted
Wrench-Jockey from
Jersey

Reply #2 - 11/17/22 at 16:45:04

Right on, Sneeze!
Looks like a Rong Fu. We had one we bought from MSC.

IP Logged
DragBikeMike
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Honolulu
Reply #3 - 11/18/22 at 10:15:00

Very nice indeed.  I'm jealous.  Lovin the square socket for a breaker bar.

Knowledge is power.
  IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

East Texas, 1/2 dallas/la.
Reply #4 - 11/18/22 at 17:38:29

That's a fine To Do board. Good job on the flag.

The people never give up their liberties but under some delusion.- Edmund Burke.
  IP Logged
Ruttly
Serious Thumper

Thumpers Rule

Manteca , CA
Reply #5 - 11/19/22 at 12:30:47

Wow , very cool. Mine would be very crude , not shiny , basically look like  JOG made it.  Grin

The Topic Terminator
  IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

Reply #6 - 11/19/22 at 23:31:02

Dayumm,,
That's okay. I have a suture kit.

The people never give up their liberties but under some delusion.- Edmund Burke.
  IP Logged
Yazman

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Ohio
Reply #7 - 11/20/22 at 04:29:42

Are there actually any performance advantages to the lightened flywheel? I thought DBM tested it and found it wasn't any faster than stock.

2011 RYCA - 94mm flat top Wiseco, stage 3 cam, PWK38, open exhaust, UNI filter, 14/52 chain drive
  IP Logged
Fast 650

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Valrico, FL
Reply #8 - 11/20/22 at 09:12:36

It accelerates quicker in the lower gears with the light flywheel. If you are doing a top speed run in high gear then the heavier flywheel has an advantage.

IP Logged
DragBikeMike
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Honolulu
Reply #9 - 11/20/22 at 10:00:59

My testing showed a very slight improvement in acceleration but like only in 1st through 3rd gear.  It also showed that the absence of mass limited my top speed.  You will lose about five lbs of pork which should improve your ability to flick the thing around.  This is the post that reported the test results.

http://suzukisavage.com/cgi-bin/YaBB.pl?num=1626921647

The results might vary depending on the engine.  Higher compression might change the results.  Could go either way.  

I'm finding that it seems to have a significant impact on barging through headwinds at high speed, and going up long, steep grades (like those you would encounter in mountainous regions).  The mini-wheel doesn't like that stuff.

Knowledge is power.
  IP Logged
Ruttly
Serious Thumper

Thumpers Rule

Manteca , CA
Reply #10 - 11/22/22 at 10:01:04

Just like any performance goodie , it gives in advertised area but takes something somewhere else. You just have to try it and see if it’s what you want. I’ve tried 2 reduced weight flywheels and stock. For me , the gains are a interesting experiment, fun stuff , but not enough. I would rather fight it tight corner and have to pull it thru the turn than loose anything from my top end. I’ve spent lots of time and money trying to get my bike in a rpm range that is going to make the best use of it low end torque while still being able to smoothly pull to max rpm and break the ton and maybe then some. A delicate balance between riding style and power output. So I haven’t tried the mini wheel but it performance going the wrong direction for me. I will be putting stocker bag back in. Where some others pile all the performance goodies in their motors yeah it’s fast , but is it fun , is it easy to ride fast as it is slow or does it only have a narrow but very powerful power. A strong Wide power band is easier to ride , you might get me off the line , but watching your  powerband and your cornering , it’s just a matter of studying your riding before you see my butt and tail light go by  just as soon as  your big cam is done making power !

The Topic Terminator
  IP Logged
Armen
Serious Thumper

Half-Witted
Wrench-Jockey from
Jersey

Reply #11 - 11/22/22 at 20:17:21

Around here, most of the back roads are 40 MPH limit. Between the road conditions, the sight line, deer, bear, and inept drivers, 55 is as fast as you want to go.
So, the ideal motor for me is one one that runs quickly from 20-55. And one that turns quickly.  My Savage will prob never see 90 MPH, and if it does, it’ll be for nanoseconds.
If I want to go faster, I’ll take out one of the other bikes. And go on different roads.
So, for my needs, the ultra-light flywheel makes sense.
Plus, I’m shooting for 285 pound weight on the bike. The 5+ pound loss on the flywheel is too much to pass by Smiley
To each his own.

IP Logged
Ruttly
Serious Thumper

Thumpers Rule

Manteca , CA
Reply #12 - 11/23/22 at 18:44:58

Take your counter balancer out , that will be another 5 lbs easy.
Then it will be a real thumper !

The Topic Terminator
  IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

Reply #13 - 11/23/22 at 23:46:36

Since this thread has been up,I've blamed DBM for several things. Dropped and broke a glass, smacked a thumb, and the My keys were Right There stuff. It's amazingly cathartic. Try it, no matter what the problem is,
It's DBM's Fault,, say it, repeat after me,,It's DBM's Fault!

See how much better you feel??

You better not screw up my turkey, Duude..

IP Logged
DragBikeMike
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Honolulu
Reply #14 - 11/25/22 at 14:41:31

Ouch!   Shocked

Knowledge is power.
  IP Logged
Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
10/06/24 at 23:32:08

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › I blame DBM for this..

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.