Send Topic Print
Suzuki Dirtavage? (Read 185 times)
och
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Suzuki Dirtavage?
11/14/22 at 00:18:40

Wondering if anyone turned their savage into a dirt bike. I know some Harley guys mod their Sportsters into "Dirtsters" and I'm wondering if there is potential with the Savage to become "Dirtavage".

IP Logged
SpamyToo

Re: Suzuki Dirtavage?
Reply #1 - 11/14/22 at 08:02:23

I made mine a bit of a scrambler for a time.  The rake of the forks and the lack of suspension make it handle pretty bad on loose dirt or gravel.  I had to pick it up off the ground several times because the front wants to slide out.  And although its a single cylinder, it felt pretty dang heavy picking it up.

It can be ok for an occasional jaunt down a dirt road, but for actual trails or track its a horrendous pig really.

Could still be fun, but I wouldnt put any real money or time making one dirt specific.  It would be a waste.

WWW   IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

East Texas, 1/2 dallas/la.
Reply #2 - 11/14/22 at 09:26:33

Once upon a time there was a video of a guy on a savage out in the woods, I think he hopped a log, just treated it rough and stayed on it. He was a very good rider. How modified was it? IDK..

The people never give up their liberties but under some delusion.- Edmund Burke.
  IP Logged
ohiomoto
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

WTF is JOG?
Reply #3 - 11/14/22 at 19:13:44

IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

Reply #4 - 11/15/22 at 11:00:12

I got killed five times just watching that.

The people never give up their liberties but under some delusion.- Edmund Burke.
  IP Logged
LANCER
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

Savage Beast
Performance Parts

Oklahoma
Reply #5 - 11/15/22 at 12:17:33

I think that masked man must have been Verslagen in disguise ! 😎🏍

The second bike looks like it escaped from a “Road Warrior” movie.

IP Logged
Gary_in_NJ
Serious Thumper

LS650 Cafe Racer

Amongst the Twisty Roads
Reply #6 - 11/15/22 at 13:32:04

LANCER wrote on 11/15/22 at 12:17:33:
The second bike looks like it escaped from a “Road Warrior” movie.

That is the "Made in a Shed" bike - just outstanding workmanship. I believe it was eventually painted red

A life-time student of motorcycling.
LS650 Cafe, DRZ400SM, FZ6N, SV650S, CB900C, Ducati ST2, CB550F-SS
My LS650=> http://suzukisavage.com/yabb2.2/Attachments/Left.JPG
  IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

Reply #7 - 11/15/22 at 14:51:39

That is one Helluva fine looking build. The tank, meh, snot pretty, unless you're someone who thinks Elons truck is good looking. I couldn't be comfortable with that bent piece the shock goes to the swingarm with. I'd want a short piece in the radius to the swingarm and maybe another one where the radius starts. Yeah, I'm wanting two braces in it. That looks like it's stressing the weld pretty hard. The frame looks great.
And the tank looks like it Works.. And that is plenty good.
But, yeah, just a bit Road Warrior ish. And that is not a bad thing.
Wonder what it weighs?
Digging the forks,too.
I'd ride it, but it would be getting stuff added to haul the milk crate and hang bags on it. Aaand a windshield,, once I got to ride behind a shield I was spoiled.
I'm old, so I'm gonna Need a cushier seat and higher bars. I'd mess it up.

IP Logged
och
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #8 - 11/15/22 at 15:38:07

justin_o_guy2 wrote on 11/15/22 at 11:00:12:
I got killed five times just watching that.

I actually laughed out loud at that.

IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

Reply #9 - 11/15/22 at 16:10:43

That's why they let me hang out here.

IP Logged
SoC

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

New Jersey
Reply #10 - 11/15/22 at 19:38:30

I must say it is an impressive display of build chops. It almost looks like a cross between a Ducati and a Savage. My experience with years of dirt bikes though has me ask what's with rear fender. Pulling mud up into that will make it hard to shed. It will impress on the street though and that is not a knock. I would think of it more as a dual sport, maybe some less aggressive tires to define it's niche. It is a cool build, with great lines.

IP Logged
SpamyToo

Reply #11 - 11/16/22 at 07:07:35

Whats actually a LS650 on something like that.  Just the motor.

So probably spending thousands of dollars to end up with a bike thats crappy on the road and dirt.

I can think of several things Id rather do with my time and money.

But as long as they enjoy what they have created, thats what counts I guess.  But usually these creations are a nightmare to sell for anything near breaking even, unless you have some artist or name related to it.

Actually I should mention that its very cool looking and I like it.  But I wouldnt encourage the OP to start a dirtbike build with their LS650 like its a great idea.  For fun, heck yeah go for it.  But your not going to end up with something other than a conversation starter and something to spin donuts on a gravel road with.  Doing actual offroad with it is most likely just to break your leg real good.

WWW   IP Logged
Gary_in_NJ
Serious Thumper

LS650 Cafe Racer

Amongst the Twisty Roads
Reply #12 - 11/17/22 at 08:17:49

SpamyToo wrote on 11/16/22 at 07:07:35:
Whats actually a LS650 on something like that.  Just the motor.

I don't remember all of the specifics of the build thread (I also followed the build on Instagram) but he may have used just the engine. Most of what you see (frame, swingarm, fuel tank) was fabricated by him. There seemed to be no end to his resourcefulness.

So probably spending thousands of dollars to end up with a bike thats crappy on the road and dirt.

Given the suspension components used, and the rake, trail and wheel base, I'd say that his creation is an absolute blast to ride - anywhere. The bike seems to have a comfortable riding triangle as well.

I can think of several things Id rather do with my time and money.

While I'm sure you could, you don't understand what drives a custom builder. There is nothing else I'd rather spend my time and money doing. From the design process to the execution, to the troubleshooting - its a very complex yet rewarding process. I'd rather custom build or restore a motorcycle than go fishing, play golf, watch sports...

Actually I should mention that its very cool looking and I like it.  But I wouldnt encourage the OP to start a dirtbike build with their LS650 like its a great idea.  For fun, heck yeah go for it.  But your not going to end up with something other than a conversation starter and something to spin donuts on a gravel road with.  Doing actual offroad with it is most likely just to break your leg real good.

I find this comment condescending and insulting - not just to the builder of this machine, but to custom builders in general. All of my customs are high performance machines that are ridden often and ridden hard. I had the pleasure of having Andy Greaser from Revzilla ride one of my creations and he commented in his article that "Engine feels like an electric motor compared to the shaking Beemer. Nice aftermarket exhaust doesn’t sound like an electric motor, though. Admire superb fueling and total attention to detail. Shame Honda never made a bike like this from the factory on the 900 platform" Source https://www.revzilla.com/common-tread/ride-report-will-my-sub-1000-bmw-r1007-...

Customs aren't about resale...or ever selling. It's about executing on a vision. What one does with the bike is part of their vision and your opinion means little.

« Last Edit: 11/17/22 at 17:41:51 by Gary_in_NJ »  

A life-time student of motorcycling.
LS650 Cafe, DRZ400SM, FZ6N, SV650S, CB900C, Ducati ST2, CB550F-SS
My LS650=> http://suzukisavage.com/yabb2.2/Attachments/Left.JPG
  IP Logged
Ruttly
Serious Thumper

Thumpers Rule

Manteca , CA
Reply #13 - 11/17/22 at 11:44:21

Yeah it looks a little funky but in the eyes of the builder , it’s perfection. Hell , it may be someones life’s work. I prefer to complement the points I like , even if it’s not what I would like. I have spent years on a bike , perfecting it to My likings and at the same time I respect if someone doesn’t like what I build. For me it has to be a functional bike not some art bike that gets pushed into the show. Oh it definitely art , functional art , but it’s got to be rideable otherwise it is just art. We are our own support group. My bike would not be without the ideas , parts , motivation that I have reaped from SS. I’m honored to have a parts or upgrades on my bike that came from SS.
So I’ll just thank you all cause you never know what influences or motivates someone.   Cool

The Topic Terminator
  IP Logged
TheSneeze
Serious Thumper

Northern Nevada
Reply #14 - 11/17/22 at 16:43:39

Well said, Gary.  If you wrench long enough to get into custom builds, there is a satisfaction factor to seeing your vision all the way to fruition.  Some never make it to that point.  The ones who do are the only ones who know.  It's the entire reason I built a shop in my backyard when I retired.

Every twenty minute job is a stripped thread away from being a three day ordeal.

'87 LS650h Savage Street Tracker
'86 LS650g Savage (parts bike)
'81 Kawasaki KZ750e ELR tribute
  IP Logged
Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
05/10/24 at 01:47:53

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › Suzuki Dirtavage?

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.