Donate!
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register :: View Members
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
New battery, clicks and won't start (Read 72 times)
pg
Serious Thumper

In Transit
New battery, clicks and won't start
09/12/22 at 17:38:24

My old S40 won't start and I assumed it was an old battery that needed replaced.  I put in a new one but I'm still having some problems.  It did start for a couple days but now I'm getting a click and it is not turning over.  The lights come on and everything looks pretty normal, than click.  So other than me getting a bad new battery, what else may it be?  Thanks for any insight.

Best regards,

I don't make the rules, I just know what they are.....

IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

East Texas, 1/2 dallas/la.
Re: New battery, clicks and won't start
Reply #1 - 09/12/22 at 19:50:15

If you start it and don't let it run enough to recharge, and do that several times, oops.
If you're wondering if the battery is weak, hook up a voltmeter and see what the voltage is and then hit the starter and see how much it drops.
You know batteries have a warranty.
You know Why?
Sometimes even a new one is Junk.
Never know till you check it out.

The people never give up their liberties but under some delusion.- Edmund Burke.
  IP Logged
pg
Serious Thumper

In Transit
Reply #2 - 09/13/22 at 03:22:57

Sure, I let it warm on the tender overnight.  It clicked numerous times then out of nowhere it popped off once.  Then click, click, click.....  My first thought was the solenoid, but I'm not so sure now.  Perhaps I have more than one issue?

Best regards,

IP Logged
verslagen1
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

Where there's a
will, I want to be
in it.

L.A. California
Reply #3 - 09/13/22 at 06:29:40

tenders aren't designed to charge a dead battery at least not overnight.

rule of thumb is 10% of the amp hour rating.  stock battery is 14 amp hour, so 1.4 amps minimum.

WWW   IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

Reply #4 - 09/13/22 at 08:36:48

Eliminate the variable. KNOW that battery is hot before you try troubleshooting.
Then check connections. You touched it, check it, and the ground on the side of the engine.
Report back and then we will see what the next step is.

You could haul it to O'Reilly's and get them to see if it needs charged, and test it.
Wherever you spend your money, IDK if Wal-Mart will mess with one they didn't sell, but the one here has a truly magnificent charger. I left the key on on the backhoe and sucked it Flat. It was Not new but still had some warranty on it. That machine would hit it with a charge, then load it, charge and load, and it took a couple hours but they saved it.
I have a twenty dollar from Harbor Freight and an old six amp charger, which might be a bit much for a small battery, IDK, but I've tried to do what Wal-Mart did, and saved a couple car batteries.
The battery tester has a voltmeter built in. You can load the battery and see if it rebounds after you let offa the button, does it come up enough?

The people never give up their liberties but under some delusion.- Edmund Burke.
  IP Logged
pg
Serious Thumper

In Transit
Reply #5 - 09/13/22 at 19:03:47

Thanks for the insight.

Best regards,

IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

Reply #6 - 09/13/22 at 20:09:16

Batteries, petcock, carburetor,, all of them,, trouble makers...
Good luck

IP Logged
pg
Serious Thumper

In Transit
Reply #7 - 09/14/22 at 14:06:34

I took it down to the auto store and they said the new battery was good.  I'll start trouble shooting more areas as time permits.

Best regards,

IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

Reply #8 - 09/14/22 at 18:27:42

There are two things that click. Understand, it's been over two years since I had one, and I'm not one of the gurus. The decompression solenoid clicks and, of course, the starter solenoid clicks. If you're only hearing one, you can reach under the right side of the tank and put a hand on the decomp and see if that is what you're hearing.
I'm hoping someone who actually knows is reading this and standing by to straighten me out if I'm telling you wrong.

Do you have a voltmeter or test light.?

IP Logged
pg
Serious Thumper

In Transit
Reply #9 - 09/14/22 at 21:48:39

I'm pretty sure it is the decomp I hear: however, I am a bit hard of hearing.   I'm guessing it is the solenoid, just a guess though.  

Best regards,

IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

Reply #10 - 09/15/22 at 15:18:26

If you're touching the decomp and you hear the click and feel the decomp engage, you are hearing the decomp.
IDK the time difference between that and the starter solenoid.

IP Logged
pg
Serious Thumper

In Transit
Reply #11 - 09/21/22 at 14:29:19

Well it was the solenoid, and I am well on the way to get it back on the road.  Next problem for those who have gone in there.  Is their a good way to get the bottom bolt started that holds the solenoid to the fender?  I can barely get my fingers down far enough to tickle the top of the bolt.  I can't get the threads started.  I really don't want to have to remove the airbox.  If you have any ideas, feel free to elaborate.

Best regards,

IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

Reply #12 - 09/21/22 at 14:59:40

You know any neighborhood kids?
It's been a minute but I got recruited to put the fancy intake on a race boat when I was probably 11. The old dude was a mechanic at Ford, but his fingers were just too fat to get the nuts on the studs.
If that is a NoGo, do you have a 1/4" drive extension? Put the socket on put some tape across it and shove the bolt in. You can make it stay in the socket. If you're needing a wobble, I've been known to aim one and tape it to keep the angle I need.

If the bolt has a short length with no threads, that is helpful.
Since you can get close, if you have a deep socket, can you stick the bolt in that and start it?
A dot of superglue,, you can get it to let go.

IP Logged
pg
Serious Thumper

In Transit
Reply #13 - 09/26/22 at 14:50:10

justin_o_guy2 wrote on 09/21/22 at 14:59:40:

do you have a 1/4" drive extension?

I got it back together.  I found a 1/4" mini breaker bar from an old SAE toll kit and I used a 3/8 size socket to get it.  What a PITA.......  Thanks for your suggestion!

Best regards,

IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
05/16/24 at 19:17:26

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › New battery, clicks and won't start

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.