Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Brake Fluid (Read 29 times)
marioivargas

Los Angeles
Brake Fluid
08/12/22 at 10:02:59

Hello,

My old caliper was so bad I didn't find it worth the effort to clean and rebuild so I bought a new one few months ago and replaced it along with rotor and pads and fluid.

Recently I've seen brake fluid on my rotor and my brakes are spongy. I know there's a leak because I park it on a sidewalk and I can see the fluid lubricating the floor.

Is it likely I just need to replace the seals on the caliper piston or should I just try bleeding the line with fresh DOT4? Could something else cause the fluid to bleed through the seals such as moisture?

Appreciate the wealth of knowledge here. Might have to start making short videos for the Youtube.   Smiley

IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

East Texas, 1/2 dallas/la.
Re: Brake Fluid
Reply #1 - 08/12/22 at 10:13:44

Shoot it clean with some brake parts cleaner. Let it dry. Give the lever a squeeze and look for the fluid leak. Baby powder might help you see it. If it's not the hose,bleeder,or something on the exterior, you can pull the caliper, shoot it clean, stick something between the pads so you can squeeze the lever and not push the puck out of the caliper.
Prove where the problem is before you start fixing it.
And that New caliper should not be leaking.

The people never give up their liberties but under some delusion.- Edmund Burke.
  IP Logged
marioivargas

Los Angeles
Reply #2 - 08/12/22 at 10:41:08

Appreciate the troubleshooting advice. I was just thinking caliper seals because I can see fluid on the rotors but that might be because I took it for a ride and noticed it afterwards.

I'll make sure to do all the troubleshooting as advised.

IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

East Texas, 1/2 dallas/la.
Reply #3 - 08/13/22 at 13:10:04

I'd be right unhappy with my new caliper if it's leaking at the hockey puck seal.

The people never give up their liberties but under some delusion.- Edmund Burke.
  IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
10/06/24 at 17:24:58

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › Brake Fluid

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.