Send Topic Print
Lithium Battries (Read 84 times)
Ruttly
Serious Thumper

Thumpers Rule

Manteca , CA
Lithium Battries
08/09/22 at 23:02:54

The tracker had an old Deltran lithium battery in it and I just replaced it with a Shorai . The oem battery weighed in at a whopping 11.8 lbs with 210 CA and the Deltran weighed 1.6 lbs with 240 CA and the Shorai 1 lb 210 CA.
  So I got curious before I replaced the battery , used a jumper wire to activate the starter at the solenoid and it cranked for 10-11 seconds like the spark plug was removed and it wasn’t. No big deal date on the Deltran 2016. I just put new reg tags on and the old one were from 2017. That Deltran hasn’t be charged since 2017 , last time I rode it. 12.8 volt and cranks like it was new. Wow ! Have a Shorai in the Sportster since 2017 too.
Quite literally the Shorai  or  Deltran  are totally maintenance  free

« Last Edit: 08/10/22 at 12:22:59 by Ruttly »  

The Topic Terminator
  IP Logged
ohiomoto
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Re: Lithium Battries
Reply #1 - 08/10/22 at 19:24:45

As long as you don't f-up and run them down, Lithium batteries are the cat's a$$!  

The power is amazing and they are 100% maintenance free.   I've never tendered mine and it fires right up every spring.  

But you don't want to run them down.  I left the parking light on my bike twice and had to bump start it.   Each time the battery charged back up with normal riding.  Then I did it a third time and the battery was toast.  I was able to bump start it and ride it around, but it wouldn't hold a charge for more than a few hours.

They make chargers that have the ability to rebalance the cells and restore the batteries.   I was going to buy one, but it cost almost as much as a new battery so I just bought a new battery.  

IP Logged
Ruttly
Serious Thumper

Thumpers Rule

Manteca , CA
Reply #2 - 08/10/22 at 21:26:53

Yeah I have a older Deltran Battery Tender Jr for the lithium ion for charging and I have never used it. I have 3 bikes and all have them and all have connecting cable for charger. They have a new charger the switches  from lead acid and also does lithium prices for the chargers has come down a bit. Sportster sat 11 months after I had surgery , fired right up , they amaze me

The Topic Terminator
  IP Logged
Eegore
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #3 - 08/11/22 at 07:43:59

Antigravity batteries have a built-in failsafe.  They call it "re-Start technology" and it shuts the battery down before it completely kills itself.

They also have a remote for the jump-start so you don't have to access the battery itself every time.

IP Logged
Ruttly
Serious Thumper

Thumpers Rule

Manteca , CA
Reply #4 - 08/11/22 at 10:04:57

The only problem with lithium batteries are that they don’t give you any pre warnings of failure starts fine ride 75 miles turn it off , then restart turn the key and nothing. So that AGM fail safe is probably useless maybe so it doesn’t self terminate (catch on fire) of something like that.
 So in turn you learn how to take care of your lithium battery. Keep connections tight,keep battery mounting secure and like Moto said ,Do Not Run The Battery Down past the recommended voltage or charge them with the wrong charger it must be for lithium. Either will ruin the battery , it may not fail immediately but you have a bad day coming. So take care of it and it will take care of you by starting and taking you back home !

The Topic Terminator
  IP Logged
Eegore
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #5 - 08/11/22 at 14:41:04

The Antigravity battery is designed so it can be left on but not run down to zero power.

Obviously it is not good to run down those batteries all the time, but I can say I have had to use the emergency jump-start plenty of times.  Once the battery gets low it shuts itself down so you can't actually drain it to death.

IP Logged
Ruttly
Serious Thumper

Thumpers Rule

Manteca , CA
Reply #6 - 08/11/22 at 15:11:18

Learn something new everyday !

The Topic Terminator
  IP Logged
ohiomoto
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #7 - 08/11/22 at 17:04:09

Eegore wrote on 08/11/22 at 14:41:04:
 The Antigravity battery is designed so it can be left on but not run down to zero power.

Obviously it is not good to run down those batteries all the time, but I can say I have had to use the emergency jump-start plenty of times.  Once the battery gets low it shuts itself down so you can't actually drain it to death.

----------------

While that is true for the Restart line, it's NOT true for the Small Case batteries like the AG-801 and most of their other batteries.  

Just wanted to point that out before Ruttly gets all excited and buys one.   Grin

IP Logged
Armen
Serious Thumper

Half-Witted
Wrench-Jockey from
Jersey

Reply #8 - 08/11/22 at 17:21:46

Used a Shorai in my Duc 900SS and my R100 BMW. No problems. Great stuff.

In theory, theory and reality are the same. In reality, they aren't...
  IP Logged
Eegore
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #9 - 08/12/22 at 15:48:39

"While that is true for the Restart line, it's NOT true for the Small Case batteries like the AG-801 and most of their other batteries.  "

Yeah good point.

IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

East Texas, 1/2 dallas/la.
Reply #10 - 08/12/22 at 19:50:09

In the FWIW column, lead acid batteries don't appreciate being drained by leaving the key on either. But that is nothing compared to what happens when it cooks the SparkenHappener. Since it doesn't always get cooked, I'm thinking it only dies when the piston stops at TDC, where it's just sitting there throwing lightning through the spark plug until it can't.
Maybe someone has a better idea, that is just the only thing I can imagine is happening. I thought the spark required a magnet running past a coil,like a mower, so, if someone, anyone, Bueller? knows the reason why sometimes leaving the key on cooks the ignition module, I'm sure curious.

The people never give up their liberties but under some delusion.- Edmund Burke.
  IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
10/06/24 at 15:48:10

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › Lithium Battries

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.