Send Topic Print
Brake pad fell off? (Read 151 times)
daphil
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Brake pad fell off?
08/09/22 at 20:52:14

I was slowing down at a stop light using my front brake and all of a sudden, my brake lever came all the way in towards the grip, felt loose, and I lost all braking power.  I pulled over to the side of the road to inspect, and after squeezing the lever a few times, I seemed to regain the ability to brake.  I did notice a swishing sound that was dependent on speed as I completed the rest of my journey (riding slowly and using the rear brake only).

I suspected the brake pads and took them out to inspect.  While one pad seems to have plenty of material left, the other (non-piston side) is worn down to the metal.  What could have happened here?  did the brake material completely detach from the pad, or did one side just wear out that much faster than the other?  When I took my bike to a mechanic a couple of months ago, he said that the brakes were about halfway done before needing replacement.  I find it hard to believe that I went through the second half of the brakes' life in just a few months.  And anyway, shouldn't the wear be about even on both sides?  

Thanks for the advice,
Phil

brake_top.jpg
  IP Logged
Ruttly
Serious Thumper

Thumpers Rule

Manteca , CA
Re: Brake pad fell off?
Reply #1 - 08/09/22 at 22:05:41

Only if caliper returns freely will they wear even remotely the same. Have to inspect both pads. You couldn’t hear or feel something going on ?

The Topic Terminator
  IP Logged
daphil
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #2 - 08/10/22 at 10:02:40

No, It felt a little squishy recently, but no unusual sounds.  Do you know why it suddenly lost braking power?  Even if they pad wore down to the metal, wouldn't it still maintain some stopping power?

IP Logged
Ruttly
Serious Thumper

Thumpers Rule

Manteca , CA
Reply #3 - 08/10/22 at 12:10:33

Get a manual so you can read how to inspect your brakes BEFORE stupid costly crap happens or let’s say maybe you die cause you can’t stop. Yeah most brakes last forever , you must use them a lot , they never wear out ,
Right !

*#@%=):///}¥§€]>}£…^\

The Topic Terminator
  IP Logged
Ruttly
Serious Thumper

Thumpers Rule

Manteca , CA
Reply #4 - 08/10/22 at 12:26:07

}…~§}|{^_%#@

The Topic Terminator
  IP Logged
verslagen1
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

Where there's a
will, I want to be
in it.

L.A. California
Reply #5 - 08/10/22 at 12:47:32

judging the grooves left on the pad, you probably need to replace the disc too.

WWW   IP Logged
och
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #6 - 08/10/22 at 17:34:45

My brakepads fell off right in my driveway back in february. I was about to hop on the bike, and notice a piece of debris on the driveway that looked suspicious. Took a closer look - it was one of the brakepads, and the second one was loose in there.

I have since upgraded to the big brake kit sold by RycaShawn, and it makes so much difference, so much more confidence in the brakes now.

« Last Edit: 08/11/22 at 06:37:33 by och »  
  IP Logged
daphil
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #7 - 08/11/22 at 05:26:40

Shoot.  Thanks everyone.

IP Logged
och
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #8 - 08/11/22 at 07:42:09

The brake pad that fell apart on me was EBC brakes, they are a reputable vendor from what I know, but nevertheless.

IP Logged
daphil
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #9 - 08/11/22 at 08:08:33

That's what I had too.  Did the hole that the pin goes through break?  Curious about this failure.

IP Logged
och
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #10 - 08/11/22 at 11:18:52

In my case it was the ceramic part of the pad separating from the metal part.

IP Logged
oldNslow
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Rochester, NY
Reply #11 - 08/11/22 at 12:01:05

Quote:
did the brake material completely detach from the pad,

Yep. Not common but I've seen it happen. The friction material is basically just glued to the metal. Seen it a few times on cars too. Saw one case on a rear disc brake on an almost new motorcycle where the frictionmaterial separated from the steel,jammed up he caliper and almost locked the rear wheel. Guy couldnt figure out why the bike kept slowing down until he finally pulled over and saw one side of the disc turning blue. When he figured out what had happened he knocked the broken piece pf pad out of the caliper with his pocketknife, the wheel freed up and he rode home without touching the rear brake pedal.

IP Logged
och
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #12 - 08/11/22 at 13:04:56

IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

East Texas, 1/2 dallas/la.
Reply #13 - 08/12/22 at 10:38:14

Watching a YouTube mechanic, customer said the brakes suddenly felt wrong. There was a brake pad, worn very thin, but it was stuck on the rotor. Did they glue it on? Phhht, IDK, but the friction material that Used to be riveted is now almost always glued on. Stuff happens. Glad you weren't doing a panic stop trying to avoid a crash.

The people never give up their liberties but under some delusion.- Edmund Burke.
  IP Logged
daphil
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #14 - 08/15/22 at 08:37:44

Wow, that's pretty remarkable (and scary).  I am thinking that must be what happened to me, given the sudden loss of braking power.  I didn't think to check the road for the missing brake material in the moment.  

I bought some more expensive pads this time that EBC, which is what I was running before.

Here is a picture of my rotor.  You can see the two circumferences where the top and bottom of the pad were rubbing on the rotor.  It is a lighter shiny silver color.  I am thinking to continue using this rotor, but I will do the tolerance test with calipers.

rotor.jpg
  IP Logged
Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
10/06/24 at 19:13:23

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › Brake pad fell off?

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.