Donate!
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register :: View Members
Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print
How Important is Valve Clearance? (Read 51 times)
DragBikeMike
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Honolulu
Re: How Important is Valve Clearance?
Reply #15 - 07/31/22 at 19:54:31

While I doubt I will ever allow my valve clearance to get to .016”, I don’t find it inconceivable that some folks might let it get out of hand.  Up to now, I have generally favored looser clearance.  The spec is .003” to .005”.  I’ve been setting my intakes at .004” and my exhausts at .005”.  I think I’m gonna change that.  I’m going to start setting my clearance to .003” all around.  I will pick up a few degrees of duration, a few thousandths more lift, and take it easier on my valves.

I really would like to hear from the other forum members.  Those of you that have experienced valve failures, what can you tell us?

Was the failure an exhaust valve?

Do you have any idea what sort of clearance you were running before the failure?

Do you know if the failure was the result of a cam tensioner failure or if the cam chain jumped timing?

Do you know if the failure was the result of no lubrication?

Do you know if the failed valve was one of the older types with reduced stem diameter?

Are any of you finding your valves with insufficient clearance when you do your routine adjustments, or are you finding them loose?

Knowledge is power.
  IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

East Texas, 1/2 dallas/la.
Re: How Important is Valve Clearance?
Reply #16 - 08/01/22 at 10:03:04

I was shooting for 3 intake and4 exhaust. Ran fine,
You know that exhaust gets plenty more hotter..
When I do the valves it is not done in a Coupla minutes, like when I paid a guy to do it the first time and let me watch. And Gettin the feeler gauge in there and trying to Feeeel it and keep That adjustment through the nut snugging part..

What I did learn was, the adjusters are almost like a pencil, tapered to a pretty small tip. They got pounded down and work hardened, and the amount of adjustment required got to be less and less. While the jam nut is backed off, feel how much slop is in the threads between the adjusters and rockers. When you snug them up, the nut is lifting the adjuster away from the valve stem. If It's sloppy you could be picking up a Thowzundth or so of slop. So, I leave the feeler gauge in place, hold the adjuster with an offset sscrewdriver, snug and Feeeel ..

The people never give up their liberties but under some delusion.- Edmund Burke.
  IP Logged
Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
10/05/24 at 06:16:03

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › How Important is Valve Clearance?

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.