Donate!
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register :: View Members
Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print
Low key exhaust backfire often on deceleration (Read 121 times)
rong

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Low key exhaust backfire often on deceleration
07/14/22 at 19:54:17

I have a 2015 Suzuki with almost 9000 miles.  Hoping some of you can give me your thoughts on this, or have had some experience with this.

As everyone knows, the LS650 has that low key backfire when the engine is turned off.  Using that as a reference, I have noticed that quite often after decelerating the throttle, there is a low key backfire ... somewhat louder than the backfire when you turn off the engine, but usually low sounding.  At idle, when I just slightly twist the throttle back and forth, it will give off this low key backfire on deceleration at almost every twist of the throttle.

(It's not the occasional loud backfire that the LS650 can give off.  I am aware of that.)

I didn't notice it because I usually wear earplugs ... plus I don't have the best of hearing (I'm an old timer).  

I'm hoping some of you may have experienced this.  In fact, the best of all worlds is that this is normal (I'm hoping).  Just to let you know, the bike runs great as far as I'm concerned.

For your information, the valves have been adjusted and the spark plug was replaced, both about a thousand miles ago.  The oil/filter have been changed on schedule.  In my opinion it has been well cared for.

Thanks for any help you can give.
Ron G

IP Logged
buster6315

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Re: Low key exhaust backfire often on deceleration
Reply #1 - 07/14/22 at 20:23:47

From what I' gathered around here, that's the nature of the beast.

IP Logged
Tocsik
Serious Thumper

the singularity

Denver, CO
Reply #2 - 07/15/22 at 08:28:34

These big singles can burble, chug and pop.  There is some fine carb tuning that can be done to minimize some of this and maximize performance, but I'm not the guy for that.  My prior bikes were parallel twins and this one is very different.
You may want to check the acorn nuts on the exhaust header at the cylinder and check for any potential other air leaks, though, like at the muffler joint.
When you do the acorn nuts on the header, it's a delicate touch; just finger tips on the wrench and no leverage at the end of the wrench.  Better to check their tightness every once in a while than cause damage.

'08|Raptor|Dyna|Stock jets & no other carb changes @ 5280' alt|'slavy CCT|Kawa front pulley|130/90 rear tire|7" LED headlight|3" straight risers|FIAMM El Grande horns|Mutazu hard bags
  IP Logged
rong

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #3 - 07/15/22 at 21:25:10

Thanks for your thoughts from both of you.  I was aware that the exhaust nuts should be checked every once in a while ... and that they shouldn't be tightened too tight.  And that the bike occasionally gives off a loud backfire.

It's funny that I have had the bike for quite a while now, but never really paid any attention to all the low volume popping and backfiring that occurs.  Even checked in the tech section where they play an audio/video of a normal sounding bike ... and it had no low key popping or backfiring.  That's when I began to worry.

I'm going on a long trip to Lake Tahoe.  So that's when I start to notice all these things.    Smiley

Again, I appreciate your thoughts.

Ron G

IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

East Texas, 1/2 dallas/la.
Reply #4 - 07/15/22 at 22:38:05

If I worked on mine and took it for a test ride and it didn't burble and growl after a downshift I'd put it back in the shop and fix it.

The people never give up their liberties but under some delusion.- Edmund Burke.
  IP Logged
ohiomoto
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #5 - 07/17/22 at 10:27:27

Who adjusted the valves?  If this condition started after the adjustment, that's the first place I would look.

IP Logged
Ruttly
Serious Thumper

Thumpers Rule

Manteca , CA
Reply #6 - 07/17/22 at 11:12:52

Exhaust leak also make it backfire

The Topic Terminator
  IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

Reply #7 - 07/17/22 at 11:22:27

Snug the bolts at the head carefully. Chinesium dies easily. A stripped/broken off situation there is a bummer. Book says only snug when cold. It's a maintenance thing. If you try to get them tight enough so you don't have to again, it's not gonna work out.

The people never give up their liberties but under some delusion.- Edmund Burke.
  IP Logged
rong

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #8 - 07/17/22 at 13:09:23

Thanks a lot for all your input.  Don't know when it started, ... or it might be even be normal as some have suggested.  And the bike seems to run great.

Justin, a year of two ago, you suggested checking the exhaust nuts for looseness, and not to tighten them too tight.  Really appreciated your suggestion at that time because one of the nuts was somewhat loose.  From then on I check them occasionally.  They are now always tight.  

Haven't noticed any other exhaust leak.

I used to do some of my own maintenance.  (What some people do on this website, however, is way out of my league).  However, now in my mid 70's, I recently began taking it to a Suzuki dealership.  The dealer did the valve job about a 1000 miles ago.  I assume it was done correctly.  However, going on this Tahoe trip, I took it to another Suzuki dealership in the area, and a mechanic listened to the noise and took it for a test ride.  He didn't think it was the valves because it would be hard to start if they were too tight.  Too loose would be louder tapping.
His final analysis was to go ahead and ride it.

Thanks again for your help.  Always interested in everyone's suggestions.  

Ron G

IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

Reply #9 - 07/17/22 at 13:16:34

A man should pay attention and keep his nuts tight. Good goin

IP Logged
SoC
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

New Jersey
Reply #10 - 07/17/22 at 19:29:07

Ron, You mentioned going to Tahoe, so I assume you are in California or Nevada. If you are in the lowlands, i.e. lower elevations going to altitude on a single cylinder, carb bike could make a big difference. Though I live at sea level and have never ventured on either of my Savage/S40's to mountainous regions I have read enough to venture some things associated with what you ascribe could be due to that (or you just notice it more). If you ride to substantially higher elevations regularly, re-jet or something like a Dyno-Jet might make sense.  

One thing you learn quickly when you change exhaust is that even in stock mode there is a certain amount of afterfire/backfire that goes on with our rides that the stock muffler with all it's chambers and diversions minimizes the effect, you just barely hear or notice it. Not saying you are good or bad, just my observations. You ride up into the mountains you might notice some different noise.

I kind of agree with JoG on this in that it's the nature of the beast. I have a Honda Fury with fuel injection and an after market Cobra exhaust and even with a Dyna-Jet fuel management system you still get that sometimes.

When in traffic and around a lot of brain dead dolts in cars a little pop when you back off the throttle may make them take notice.

IP Logged
rong

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #11 - 07/18/22 at 12:32:07

Thanks for your thoughts SoC.  I live in California at around sea level and have travelled to Tahoe in the past on various occasions with the S40.  When in Tahoe the bike does like to tell people it's around ... with a bang or two.   Smiley

The bike is pretty much stock except for the raptor petcock.  While in Tahoe in the past, I have always had no problems  ...  until last year.  Coming home near Jackson, CA it would hesitate occasionally and not idle correctly ... including stopping when at idle.  The Suzuki Dealership that looked at it said that I probably filled my gas tank too full causing the gas to seep down an air line tube to the charcoal canister causing the carburetor not to breath correctly.  As I understand it, this air tube and canister are only on California bikes to help with gas fumes escaping into the atmosphere ... a California environmental requirement.  (Leave it to California to do things differently!)  Anyway, that's why I was gun shy this year going to Tahoe, becoming aware of all of these 'noises' that I never noticed before.

The popping and gurgling are no doubt normal.  It's just me never noticing it, and remembering what happened last year.

Ron G

IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

Reply #12 - 07/19/22 at 07:11:16

I kind of agree with JoG on this in that it's the nature of the beast.

It's not a bug,it's a feature. You Can, if, say,you're about to pass by a coupla horses or you're going by a hospital, you Can keep it from making the popping, growling music.
But it requires you to not downshift and use the transmission for a brake. If it's making the gunshot sounding noises while you're shifting, that would probably be an exhaust leak.

IP Logged
LANCER
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

Savage Beast
Performance Parts

Oklahoma
Reply #13 - 07/19/22 at 09:10:21

If you ride lowlands to mountains fairly frequently you might consider getting a Dial-a-jet.  It enables adjustment of the main jet system in a couple of minutes without any disassembly, with just loosening a screw and a tiny adjustment.  It gives an adjustment range of 3 full main jets.
When I added it to my carb mileage went from 50 to 62 mpg, and better performance in the upper 1/3 of the rpm range.
They are available from Thunder Products for $75.  The owners, Lonn and Anne are very helpful and really nice folks.

IP Logged
TheSneeze
Serious Thumper

Northern Nevada
Reply #14 - 07/26/22 at 11:00:13

I live in the valley just east of Lake Tahoe, and I am at 4800 ft elev.  The lake is a pretty good climb from sea level.

Every twenty minute job is a stripped thread away from being a three day ordeal.

'87 LS650h Savage Street Tracker (destroyed by fire)
'86 LS650g Savage (parts bike)
'81 Kawasaki KZ750e ELR tribut
  IP Logged
Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
10/05/24 at 06:19:17

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › Low key exhaust backfire often on deceleration

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.