Donate!
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register :: View Members
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Right side engine cover--- I have questions! (Read 33 times)
Needles
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

AR
Right side engine cover--- I have questions!
07/30/22 at 07:51:51

So, looking through the Clymer manual, The instructions for putting on the gasket include 3 sealing washers. The parts list shows two sizes, one with a 13 mm inside diameter and one with an 11 mm. Does it really matter? The manual says that if you leave them off, the cover will leak. Also, do they go over or under the gasket? I know you need to use sealer around the oil passages, and two of the washers are for each end of the set of oil passages on the top. How much of an issue is this? Mine came to me spotting oil from the bottom. When I changed the cam tensioner, I discovered that the right side cover had no gasket at all! It also had a pinched oil seal for the end of the shaft--- the one that funnels oil into the shaft. I replaced that seal, and am about ready to button it up.

IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

East Texas, 1/2 dallas/la.
Re: Right side engine cover--- I have questions!
Reply #1 - 07/30/22 at 09:10:37

Get a piece of cardboard, draw the cover outline, slot the cardboard for each bolt
Insert each bolt into its respective slot.
The sealing washer will be where it belongs and you won't have a puzzle, some of them are different lengths.
Inspect your sealing washers.
They are just under the head of the bolt, and only on the ones that need it.

The people never give up their liberties but under some delusion.- Edmund Burke.
  IP Logged
Needles
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

AR
Reply #2 - 07/30/22 at 10:26:46

Yeah, well, the PO, or at least the last person to open the right side cover made some mistakes. Biggest was there was no gasket at all! They tried to use gasket "maker" but didn't do it right. Anyway, It was leaking pretty well all the time. They also squashed the large O ring under the filter cover, left the other o ring off the filter, and managed to mangle the seal for the end of the drive shaft. I have the shaft seal, and am waiting for the bolt seals. I'll need to figure the size for the big O ring. I've already figured out where the seals go; I just wanted to know if the size difference matters.

IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

Reply #3 - 07/30/22 at 11:51:00

Well, drop another dime and replace the O-Ring the shifter linkage goes through. If it leaks, it doesn't leak much, but it's plenty irritating to do everything in your power to get it all sealed up, and see a little trail of oil running down the engine. And it's such a hassle to get to it to fix it, mehh, I just waited till I had to go back in there.
It's not impossible to get the filter in bakkerds, and it nearly always destroys the engine. So, don't do that.
We've seen at least one killt by a dealership.
When I had one I kept a Coupla extra O-Rings on hand, because who wants to accidentally pinch one and hafta wait for the dealership to order one?
I don't remember if they are common and available at Ace hardware.

The people never give up their liberties but under some delusion.- Edmund Burke.
  IP Logged
Needles
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

AR
Reply #4 - 07/30/22 at 12:48:41

Thanks! I will replace that one, too. I just mic'd the slot for the oil filter ring. It looks to be 78x 72mm (the groove dimensions), and the old o ring looks like 3mm thick.

IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

Reply #5 - 07/30/22 at 17:04:16

If the cap has a step or something that would help you know if you had the right one, take it with you. It's more hassle and gasoline to go back, sometimes I buy what I Think I need and one smaller and another larger.. If you plan on keeping a spare, you're going back after you solve the puzzle anyway.. Perfect time to return the ones you don't Need.

IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
10/05/24 at 15:40:19

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › Right side engine cover--- I have questions!

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.