Send Topic Print
Oil drain bolt? (Read 82 times)
och
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Oil drain bolt?
07/29/22 at 13:57:08

Anyone happen to know the size for the oil drain bolt? I was just doing my oil change, and I stripped the bolt a little bit, I'm afraid next oil change I'll strip it completely, so I need a new one.

If anyone can tell me the part number for oem bolt and crush washer, and also the size of the bolt - I'm considering getting a better quality bolt.

IP Logged
Needles
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

AR
Re: Oil drain bolt?
Reply #1 - 07/29/22 at 16:33:35

Supposedly the oil drain plug is either 14mm or 17mm head, depending on the year. Mine is a 2002, and it takes a 15mm...

IP Logged
och
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #2 - 07/29/22 at 16:47:36

Mine is a 14mm head, but its a flanged head, apparently its a M12x1.25 20mm bolt. I ordered a zinc plated class 10.9 bolt for my next oil change.

IP Logged
Smith2
YaBB Newbies

Reply #3 - 07/29/22 at 17:29:31

och wrote on 07/29/22 at 16:47:36:
Mine is a 14mm head, but its a flanged head, apparently its a M12x1.25 20mm bolt. I ordered a zinc plated class 10.9 bolt for my next oil change.

This - 12mmx1.25. I personally use the Goldplug or Votex with the magnetic ends. Very good plugs. I've used them on all my bikes. You can get them on Amazon a little cheaper.
https://goldplug.com/shop/mp06/
https://votex-us.com/DP011

IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

East Texas, 1/2 dallas/la.
Reply #4 - 07/30/22 at 01:31:39

I bought one with a magnet in the end.

The people never give up their liberties but under some delusion.- Edmund Burke.
  IP Logged
och
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #5 - 08/22/22 at 20:49:59

Here is a photo of the OEM drain bolt. It is indeed a M12x1.25x20, but it has a non standard head. It is a 14mm flanged head, which is very small for the M12 bolt, usually they come with 17-19mm heads.

But look at the design of this head. It is tapered, so you can never put a wrench tight onto it, and the edges of the hexagon are filleted, so it is basically pre-stripped. Dumbest bolt design I've ever seen.

IP Logged
Garry

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #6 - 08/23/22 at 02:19:51

It most likely won’t be the bolt that is damaged it will probably be the thread in the crankcase. Alloy is much softer than steel!

IP Logged
Serowbot
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

OK.... so what's the
speed of dark?

Tucson Az
Reply #7 - 08/23/22 at 06:30:43

Tighten it like you would a pickle jar... it's not holding anything structural.
People have been known to crack the case tightening them down.  (worst feeling in the world)

Ludicrous Speed !... ... Huh...
  IP Logged
och
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #8 - 08/23/22 at 08:02:49

Ugh, I get that the aluminum alloy case is much softer than the bolt, but the bolt itself is pretty much stripped from the factory. There is not much access room to the bolt, so a 12 point wrench is the most practical tool for this bolt, but it cant really grab the head. I will replace this bolt with an allen head next oil change.

IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

Reply #9 - 08/23/22 at 11:03:29

That is another place to grind a tool.
The sides that fit the bolt head don't start to create the corner until a ways from the radius of the wrench. Grind the wrench and it will be able to grab the part of the bolt down at the bottom of the head,where it still has the flats meeting properly instead of the part where the bolt looks rounded.

The people never give up their liberties but under some delusion.- Edmund Burke.
  IP Logged
och
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #10 - 08/23/22 at 13:49:33

justin_o_guy2 wrote on 08/23/22 at 11:03:29:
That is another place to grind a tool.
The sides that fit the bolt head don't start to create the corner until a ways from the radius of the wrench. Grind the wrench and it will be able to grab the part of the bolt down at the bottom of the head,where it still has the flats meeting properly instead of the part where the bolt looks rounded.

I dont know if its clear in the picture, but the head of the bolt is tapered, you can never get the wrench all the way to the flange of the head, it always slip onto the rounded part of the head, and easily strips it even further. Considering that this bolt is bound to be oily, it only makes things even worse. I was having a bit of trouble with it during my last oil change, I thought I had stripped it.

For my next oil change, I bought an allen socket bolt, should make things way easier. https://www.mcmaster.com/96144A292/

IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

Reply #11 - 08/24/22 at 03:37:52

I wasn't suggesting you keep that screwed up bolt.

IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
10/06/24 at 19:18:50

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › Oil drain bolt?

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.