Donate!
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register :: View Members
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Dropped bike, seems lean (Read 34 times)
Surviving Philadelphia
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Dropped bike, seems lean
08/23/22 at 15:41:30

So, my bike got nocked over the other day outside the coffee shop. Busted mirror, turn signal, etc. Minor stuff.

I've removed the broken signals (front and back, all of them, i'm replacing them all with aftermarket).

Other than that, I did see a small puddle of oil next to the bike, and what looked like some liquid from the battery. The oil level in the bike is fine. The front caliper was stuck, I fixed that.

So far so good -- however, It feels LEAN. backfiring when shutting it down is worse than ever before, and random popping NOT when closing the throttle, but during maintenance throttle at cruising speeds. Also, acceleration seems sluggish/ loss of power/ surging slightly sometimes -- the airfilter looks like it got alot bunch of oil on it and is being replaced this week.

Possible exaust leak? What do you guys think?

IP Logged
DragBikeMike
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Honolulu
Re: Dropped bike, seems lean
Reply #1 - 08/23/22 at 16:08:55

I assume it got knocked over on to its right side.  Based on your description of the air filter, it sounds like oil may have run through your breather into the airbox.  How long was it on its side?

It's also possible that you already had a heavy accumulation of oil in your airbox.  That accumulation would have been collected in the bottom of the airbox.  When the bike got upended, the oil would have run to the right side of the airbox and started seeping into the paper filter element.  That would have acted like a sponge and drawn the oil up into the pleats.

Take the filter element out and ride the bike.  Only a brief ride, diagnostic only.  See if it corrects the way your engine is running.  Don't continue operation without the filter, just a brief diagnostic test to see what you can learn.

If the spill tweaked your muffler, there's a good chance you have an exhaust leak too.  Exhaust leaks exacerbate the backfire phenomenon.

Knowledge is power.
  IP Logged
TheSneeze
Serious Thumper

Northern Nevada
Reply #2 - 08/23/22 at 16:10:25

Did it fall on the exhaust side?  If so, it probably tweaked the joint between the header and the muffler.  Or at the head.

I vote for exhaust leak.

Every twenty minute job is a stripped thread away from being a three day ordeal.

'87 LS650h Savage Street Tracker (destroyed by fire)
'86 LS650g Savage (parts bike)
'81 Kawasaki KZ750e ELR tribut
  IP Logged
Surviving Philadelphia
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #3 - 08/23/22 at 18:21:57

Thank you for the responses --

I made this origional post while at work, and on the way home (About a mile) The bike was extremely sluggish -- when i got home, I noticed the head pipe, like 12 inches past the connection to to the head, was RED HOT.

I'm guessing there is absolutely a leak somewhere? What do you think?

How much damage have I done?

... wondering if I can get an insurance claim for repairs, might be in over my head.  

Thanks everyone.

IP Logged
Surviving Philadelphia
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #4 - 08/23/22 at 18:37:52

It did fall on the right side. Tomorrow I'm going to try to take the whole exaust apart and put it back together, torque everything to what the manual says.

I just got a Mikuni 36 slide to install on the thing -- I'm hoping that may help as well with whatever is causing this lean condition (assuming that it is a lean condition, it's clearly overheating)

IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
10/06/24 at 17:24:16

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › Dropped bike, seems lean

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.