Send Topic Print
530 Chain Slack (Read 58 times)
dbj
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

530 Chain Slack
07/19/22 at 12:20:23

I recently converted my bike over to chain drive and replaced with a 17T front and 45T rear sprocket. I got a 530 DID O-Ring chain and tensioned it properly from the chain box, however I threw away the box and cannot find any reliable information online about what the proper chain tension and slack should be. I've ridden about 500 miles and want to re-adjust the chain after it has stretched some. Anyone have advice on proper chain tension and slack?

IP Logged
Gary_in_NJ
Serious Thumper

LS650 Cafe Racer

Amongst the Twisty Roads
Re: 530 Chain Slack
Reply #1 - 07/19/22 at 12:49:53

You wont be able to run much slack at all without causing some rubbing. I run mine lose enough that compressing the suspension isn't limited by the chain - probably 1/2 inch of slack. I have an 18/52 combo, so my slack will be different from yours. The key takeaway is that the chain shouldn't be at full stretch when the suspension is compressed - yet it shouldn't rub on the top of the swingarm.You'll have to find that sweet spot.

A life-time student of motorcycling.
LS650 Cafe, DRZ400SM, FZ6N, SV650S, CB900C, Ducati ST2, CB550F-SS
My LS650=> http://suzukisavage.com/yabb2.2/Attachments/Left.JPG
  IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

East Texas, 1/2 dallas/la.
Reply #2 - 07/21/22 at 07:25:30

The O-Ring chains are probably better than the ones without. What I don't understand is how lube gets into THAT critical, THE place where lube is most important?
The whole " I have to adjust my chain because it stretched " thing is actually
"My chain is loose because where the pins go through the plates is wearing the pins and plates a little and the cumulative wear looks like it stretched" innit?

The people never give up their liberties but under some delusion.- Edmund Burke.
  IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

East Texas, 1/2 dallas/la.
Reply #3 - 07/21/22 at 11:25:26

You are not alone in questioning the wisdom of using a half link,but I'm not finding a Solid answer with anything more than a
Maybe this is why
answer.
I saw mention of different width, but I'm thinking that was about the application being on a ten speed, because the derailer has trouble with it. I wish I was familiar enough with them to know. We used half links in the oil field, but the chains we were working on had three or four rows.
It took a length of sash cord wound through the chain a few times to pull it together.

The people never give up their liberties but under some delusion.- Edmund Burke.
  IP Logged
Ruttly
Serious Thumper

Thumpers Rule

Manteca , CA
Reply #4 - 07/21/22 at 12:13:17

Bobber ? Hard tail ? Cafe ? Stocker ? Ryca ? They all have issues with chain conversions. Just have to find the sweet spot on chain adjustment. Good luck

The Topic Terminator
  IP Logged
dbj
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #5 - 07/21/22 at 13:19:33

I guess I should have re-phrased the question. I really am just asking a simple question. I understand that there are numerous variables and each setup is different, but the manufacturer recommends a certain level of slack, then based off of your specific needs you adjust from that. I want to say I think it was 20-40mm of slack on the back of the D.I.D. box. I'm mainly just wanting to know if anyone knows the manufacturer's spec on the back of the box? I've searched D.I.D.'s website to no avail.

IP Logged
Gary_in_NJ
Serious Thumper

LS650 Cafe Racer

Amongst the Twisty Roads
Reply #6 - 07/21/22 at 14:23:39

The manufacturer of the motorcycle recommends the slack in the chain, not the manufacturer of the chain. For example, the same 520 chain used on a sport bike (where the slack is 25-30mm) can be used on a dirt bike (where the slack is 40-50mm). Slack is determined by available swaingarm movement.

A life-time student of motorcycling.
LS650 Cafe, DRZ400SM, FZ6N, SV650S, CB900C, Ducati ST2, CB550F-SS
My LS650=> http://suzukisavage.com/yabb2.2/Attachments/Left.JPG
  IP Logged
Ruttly
Serious Thumper

Thumpers Rule

Manteca , CA
Reply #7 - 07/21/22 at 15:13:46

Thank you Gary !
Chain slack to me is best demonstrated in the movie Evel Knevel when right before he sends it off the jump ,(in slow motion) he reaches down to check his chain slack with his fingers. Very Cool !

The Topic Terminator
  IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
05/16/24 at 20:11:09

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › 530 Chain Slack

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.