Donate!
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register :: View Members
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 
Send Topic Print
Problems starting!! HELP! (Read 450 times)
Furby
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Re: Problems starting!! HELP!
Reply #45 - 07/23/22 at 18:54:39

Read you loud and clear. Thank you for the info.
Will let it relax for the time being and read some more info about the bike.

IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

East Texas, 1/2 dallas/la.
Reply #46 - 07/24/22 at 08:31:39

that new Raptor petcock will come with a clear plastic tube over the fuel inlet. That tube is to protect the screen from damage.  Make sure you remove the protective clear plastic tube before you install the petcock.

They Otta come with a
Remove before flight flag.

The people never give up their liberties but under some delusion.- Edmund Burke.
  IP Logged
ohiomoto
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #47 - 07/24/22 at 09:40:18

Everything DBM said.  In addition, since your air screw isn't OEM, I wonder if you ever have the correct jets, needle jet, air jets, etc...

Sometimes people mix up the air jets with the piolet and main jets, or they buy a "Kit" that contains nothing that will actually work with the LS650.  

Did this bike ever run correctly?  My money is on the petcock.  Replace that and try again.  If it continues to have issues, it might be time to take recheck the carb redo.  People mess that up all of the time.

And, I would check the timing chain tensioner and starter if you can't get it to crank again.  It's possible something bad happened with that backfire.

IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

Reply #48 - 07/24/22 at 11:50:43

I think I saw it has around 15,000 miles on it.
It's time to take a look in there.

The people never give up their liberties but under some delusion.- Edmund Burke.
  IP Logged
Furby
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #49 - 07/25/22 at 14:08:52

We’re kilometres an hour here. Around 13k miles

IP Logged
Furby
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #50 - 07/25/22 at 14:12:25

The bike was running smoothly a long time ago. Then with years or it being parked before I took it from family and my injury it started acting up.

IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

Reply #51 - 07/25/22 at 14:17:45

Furby wrote on 07/25/22 at 14:08:52:
We’re kilometres an hour here. Around 13k miles

Still time to have a look.

IP Logged
Furby
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #52 - 07/25/22 at 14:22:52

For sure. Meaning the tensioner as mentioned? I don’t know how to check the compression, I know that’s been talked about before also so I will look that up too if these other things (fuel filter taken out, and raptor don’t work) I did see someone on here had cam chain tensioners on here. I’ll look around again. I do have video of it running but can not upload it because of file size I think

IP Logged
Furby
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #53 - 07/26/22 at 11:31:38

New petcock
Feel like I should wash out the tank. Anyone know a good way to do so? Also, I’ve noticed there is no vacuum line as the stock one. What did you guys do with the vac. Line

421277F6-D426-40D0-9B70-252EFC48A840.jpeg
  IP Logged
verslagen1
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

Where there's a
will, I want to be
in it.

L.A. California
Reply #54 - 07/26/22 at 12:20:25

Furby wrote on 07/26/22 at 11:31:38:
Also, I’ve noticed there is no vacuum line as the stock one. What did you guys do with the vac. Line

plug it on the carb
cut a bit of line, fold it over and tie wrap it, or put a screw in it.

WWW   IP Logged
DragBikeMike
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Honolulu
Reply #55 - 07/26/22 at 16:17:00

That's some gooey lookin slime on that old petcock.  You said you went through the carb.  Was that stuff in the carb too?

You might wanna rinse out the tank with mineral spirits.  Pour in a whole gallon, rinse and drain.  Then reclaim by pouring the used mineral spirits through a coffee filter.  Do that several times until things clean up.  It will get most of the loose stuff out of the tank.  You can reuse the old mineral spirits to wash parts.  

There's all sorts of YouTube vids on cleaning old fuel tanks.  They all look like a huge PIA to me.  Not my favorite job. Be careful.  Good luck.

Knowledge is power.
  IP Logged
TheSneeze
Serious Thumper

Northern Nevada
Reply #56 - 07/26/22 at 21:34:29

Cleaning my old KZ tank was, well, a two month ordeal.  Not trying to scare you away, just mine was BAAAAD!.  It sat in So Cal for 28 years outside when I picked it up.

Every twenty minute job is a stripped thread away from being a three day ordeal.

'87 LS650h Savage Street Tracker (destroyed by fire)
'86 LS650g Savage (parts bike)
'81 Kawasaki KZ750e ELR tribut
  IP Logged
Furby
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #57 - 07/30/22 at 23:17:00

DBM - there was a lot of goo on the petcock but there was nothing of the sort in the carb. It seems like I do need to clean it out but do you think that it’s clogging it? Trying the raptor petcock and it flows through strongly. Still having the same issues, it will start but then shut off in a about 20 seconds.  if not shorter. Still waiting on being able to find a rebuild kit that is all genuine parts along with the mixture screw. I’m bamboozled atm and worried I’m going to completely screw something up.
I have followed the advise on here and haven’t been obsessively cranking it. I’ve come to the conclusion I must have messed up the carb when I was in there cleaning it.
I think I’ll try to find the thread here about tear down/ build back  so I can make sure I didn’t mess anything up. I think I did something 10 years ago about a white spacer mod or something too. Trying to get my knowledge built back up here so I appreciate your patience with me thank friends!

IP Logged
ohiomoto
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #58 - 07/31/22 at 06:58:19

Your best bet is to return the carb to stock.  No mods, no jetting, etc.  Once you get it running reliably, you can tune it IF you need to.  

So pull the carb.  

Take the float bowl off.  Make sure the float isn't stuck closed. Measure the float height and write it down.  If it's stuck, you might have found your problem, but I would still confirm you have the correct jetting.  Pull the float and needle.  Inspect the rubber tip of the needle.

Remove the main jet and write down the size.  Take note if you have a washer under the main jet.  Remove the pilot jet and take note of its size.

Now pull the top of the carb.  Make sure the diaphragm was seated correctly.  Pull the main air jet from the top and make a note of the size.  Pull the pilot air jet and note its size.  

Next, inspect the diaphragm for cracks and or leaks.  Inspect the slide for excessive wear as this can cause poor performance that you might mistake for poor jetting.  A worn slide should not keep the bike from running so no need to spend money on one until you get the bike running.

Remove the needle, taking note of how your white spacer (or washers), spring, and plate are oriented.  Write down what needle you have if there are markings.  

If in doubt, replace any and all of these parts with the stock equivalents.

The last thing you need to do before reassembling is to make sure all passages are free and clear.   If it looks like the carb might have been really gummed up at some point, the passages may still be blocked.  

If all of the above sounds like too much, obtain a replacement carb that is known to be good.

IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

Reply #59 - 07/31/22 at 07:57:26

You have the fuel line to the carb on your petcock?
Plugged the vacuum?
I'd be seeing if it would keep running by whiffing a little shot of ether in it when it starts to stumble ,if it keeps running by shooting lift squirts of ether, then you Know it's fuel.

But before that, hook it up,, fuel line on,petcock on,pull the bowl drain and see how much flow comes out the bowl.

If you don't have ether,any spray can that lights and isn't something you Don't want.
Brake parts cleaner ,stuff like that

IP Logged
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
10/06/24 at 19:19:54

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › Problems starting!! HELP!

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.