Donate!
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register :: View Members
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6
Send Topic Print
Problems starting!! HELP! (Read 450 times)
DragBikeMike
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Honolulu
Re: Problems starting!! HELP!
Reply #30 - 07/20/22 at 16:11:53

If you have the wrong mixture screw, you will never get it to work.  There are lots of carb kits out there that contain a bogus mixture screw.  That bogus screw has a needle tip that is way too small, and the body of the screw is way too long.  The screw can't throttle the fuel.  Its either "on" or "off".  You can never adjust the mixture with the bogus screw.  

Take out your mixture screw and inspect it.  Does it look like the screw shown on the bottom in this picture?  If it looks like the one on the bottom, you have the wrong screw.  It will NEVER work.

Please take a picture of your screw and post it.

Mix_Screws_Stock_Top.JPG

Knowledge is power.
  IP Logged
DragBikeMike
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Honolulu
Reply #31 - 07/20/22 at 16:24:30

Before you try it again, throw that fouled spark plug in the trash and get a fresh plug in there.

We look forward to seeing your pictures and hearing how things go.  Good luck.

Knowledge is power.
  IP Logged
Furby
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #32 - 07/20/22 at 16:31:42

Two turns out. Mine has never as far as I’ve owned it gone in like the one on the picture that you have supplied.
New spark plug has been put in already today.

E3700764-11E0-43A3-A16C-E05CEB9B25F4.jpeg
  IP Logged
Furby
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #33 - 07/21/22 at 12:06:11

Most that I get is a 20 second start in the mornings,( tried to upload video but it says the 5 second video is too long )  fully charged battery, New plug, mixture screw one turn out, set to prime,choke on. 2x4 propping it up a little more. I did order a 2001 raptor petcock today $39.99 cdn. It does have new gas and fresh oil/filter change. 10/40 with ZDDP additive. Fuel filter from the petcock to the carb. No new air filter yet, they’re saying $70 for a new one. So I’m pricing them out. Might do a pod filter if I ever get this figured out.

8C162BF2-9E5A-4568-9FD3-04960C5674EE.jpeg
  IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

East Texas, 1/2 dallas/la.
Reply #34 - 07/22/22 at 13:22:44

Fuel filter from the petcock to the carb.

Some people get away with that, but some don't. The inside diameter of the fittings on the filter restrict flow.
Try it without it,especially if it runs for a coupla minutes, then dies. That would tell me that once the thing uses the fuel in the bowl it's running out of gas.
You could get a clue by pulling the line off the carb and just see what the delivery rate is. If you're burning gas faster than it flows into the carburetor, meh, you get it.

The people never give up their liberties but under some delusion.- Edmund Burke.
  IP Logged
DragBikeMike
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Honolulu
Reply #35 - 07/22/22 at 15:08:38

Thanks for the pictures and data.

OK, I can see from your picture that both of your mixture screws are bogus.  I would order a stock genuine Suzuki mixtrure screw......BUT........if you feel compelled to struggle with the bogus parts, use the one shown in the top of your picture.

I will try to explain why.  First, let's look at the dead giveaway indicator of a bogus screw.  It's this shoulder that I circled in yellow.

Bogus_Mix_Screw_Shoulder.jpg

Knowledge is power.
  IP Logged
DragBikeMike
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Honolulu
Reply #36 - 07/22/22 at 15:12:03

The stock crew does not have the shoulder, it's just threaded, like this.

Mix_Screw_Stock_No_Shoulder.jpg

Knowledge is power.
  IP Logged
Furby
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #37 - 07/22/22 at 15:15:59

Oh boy. Thanks man. I’ll try to find a kit that has the screw

IP Logged
DragBikeMike
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Honolulu
Reply #38 - 07/22/22 at 15:18:01

Next, the shoulder for the o-ring must be straight.  the o-ring isn't gonna work with a tapered shoulder.  Correction, the o-ring isn't intended to work on a tapered shoulder, so I suspect it won't work correctly.  

The screw on the bottom has a tapered shoulder.  The screw on the top has a straight shoulder.  The stock screw has a straight shoulder.  Hence, choose the screw shown on the top of your picture, or as previously mentioned, buy a stock genuine Suzuki screw.

Oring_Shoulder_Variation_Top_Correct.jpg

Knowledge is power.
  IP Logged
DragBikeMike
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Honolulu
Reply #39 - 07/22/22 at 15:25:29

The screw shown in the bottom of your picture has a thinner tapered needle than the screw shown in the top of your picture.  While I have no way to measure your screws, I can tell from the pictures that the needle shown at the top of your picture has a tapered needle that appears to be about the same as the stock OEM Suzuki needle shown in my picture that I posted earlier.  The skinny tapered needle isn't gonna throttle the fuel, it's too small.  So, you end up with a switch instead of a throttling device.

Can you see the difference between the tapered needles.  You want to use the thicker needle.  The one shown in the top of your picture.....OR......better yet, get a genuine Suzuki mixture screw.

Needle_Taper_Variation_Bottom_too_small.jpg

Knowledge is power.
  IP Logged
Furby
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #40 - 07/22/22 at 15:25:42

I see what you’re talking about man, I haven’t noticed that before!
I was going to ask about the spring/washer/o-ring and how that supposed to go on too. But it seems like what you’re saying is, my mixture screws both won’t work. As I said before, I’m waiting for a raptor petcock at the moment and I’m having a hell of a time finding parts that I need.

IP Logged
DragBikeMike
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Honolulu
Reply #41 - 07/22/22 at 15:43:45

Don't be fooled by the way your engine will run on the enricher but then die out when you turn the enricher off.  It will lead you to believe that it must be too lean.  

The enricher circuit is sort of like a mini-independent carburetor.  The enricher plunger opens up a large air passage that bypasses the throttle plate.  It provides enough air and fuel to raise the engine speed for cold startup and operation.  It's intended to provide a rich mixture along with plenty of air.  

When you push the plunger in, it cuts off the enrichment fuel, and it also cuts off the fast idle air.  Now the engine is getting only the air that flows past the throttle plate, and the fuel that comes through the idle circuit.  If your idle mixture screw has that skinny little taper, it's admitting way more fuel than necessary.  You end up with a grossly rich mixture.  You go to adjust the crappy screw but since the taper is so skinny it has little or no effect until you bottom the screw out, at which point it goes from grossly rich to grossly lean (the switch effect).  

Save yourself a ton of misery.  Only use genuine Suzuki parts in this stock carburetor.  The rebuild kits are junk.  This old post provides some useful information on the carb kits.

http://suzukisavage.com/cgi-bin/YaBB.pl?num=1641171298

Knowledge is power.
  IP Logged
Furby
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #42 - 07/22/22 at 16:05:08

I appreciate the description, that makes sense. Love the solid info.
I can see that the carb kits are junk now.
I am going to try and source out an actual mikuni kit.
I had the bike in idle today with the choke on and it still shut off after 15/20 seconds.
I found that after I have it started up ( seems to be once a day ) I have to let it sit because it just won’t start again, a little burp of life but then doesn’t  fully get going.

IP Logged
Furby
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #43 - 07/23/22 at 14:52:43

Strange thing happened, the bike started and ran twice for a short time today which was better than usual. Tried a third time and had a big backfire. Then went to crank it again and it was not even turning the starter.  The bike was on, kickstand down. Kill switch set to run just like normal and had no connection at all with the starter.( like I kit the start button without the key on ) I pulled the battery and checked it and it had still 90% on it.
I’m charging the battery again and going to see if it’ll start back up.

IP Logged
DragBikeMike
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Honolulu
Reply #44 - 07/23/22 at 17:04:03

I would quit torturing the thing until you have a few items squared away.

Figure out why it's not cranking, fix that problem, then let it rest until you get the new petcock and new mixture screw.  The "no crank" problem might be better to address in a different post. Have you tried pulling in the clutch lever while you are trying to crank it?

While you are waiting for parts, lose that fuel filter. You don't need it and they restrict fuel flow.  They also have a tendency to percolate when the engine gets hot.  They cause all sorts of mysterious problems that will drive you nuts.  Take it out and install a new fuel line.

While you are waiting for parts, check fuel flow to the carb.  Disconnect the fuel line, put a suitable container under the open fuel line, and put the petcock on prime. See how much fuel flows.  Time it.  Then when you put the new petcock on you can test again and compare.

Now hook the fuel hose up to the carb and open up the drain screw in the bottom of the float bowl.  Place a suitable container below the drain and put the petcock on prime.  See how much fuel flows.  Time it.  Then when you put the new petcock on you can test it again and compare.

Try to learn as much as you can while waiting for the correct parts.  Don't just keep cranking the engine and trying to start it when you already know it's not right.

BTW, that new Raptor petcock will come with a clear plastic tube over the fuel inlet. That tube is to protect the screen from damage.  Make sure you remove the protective clear plastic tube before you install the petcock.

Once you know you have a good petcock, the correct mixture screw, and adequate fuel flow, it's time to try and get it running.

Knowledge is power.
  IP Logged
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
10/06/24 at 19:18:03

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › Problems starting!! HELP!

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.