Donate!
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register :: View Members
Pages: 1 2 3 ... 6
Send Topic Print
Problems starting!! HELP! (Read 450 times)
Furby
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Problems starting!! HELP!
07/15/22 at 13:21:12

Hey all,
I just got my savage back out of storage since 2012  :'( but now I’m having problems with it starting and staying on. I’ve redone the carb and put new gas in and it’s draining my battery ( new ) since I keep trying to get it started. It gets going once I. A while with the choke on but stalls when it’s off. Don’t know what to do in terms of turns on the air fuel screw. I need your help!!  I want to ride this summer but doesn’t seem like I am going to be able to

IP Logged
ohiomoto
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Re: Problems starting!! HELP!
Reply #1 - 07/17/22 at 10:14:55

Not being able to keep the bike running has nothing to do with the air screw.  You probably have a bad petcock and/or a gummed up carb (and now a low battery).  

The good news is that you know it will start and run. Keep the battery topped off.  If you have an original vacuum petcock, set it on prime for now and consider replacing it with a new OEM version or an OEM Yamaha raptor petcock.

Not sure what "redone" the carb means, but...

If the petcock is good, you'll have to clean the carb and possibly replace a couple of the jets and the float needle.   Don't bother with the "rebuild" kits. Most of the time they don't come with the right parts and cause more problems than they fix.

Change the oil once you get it running.  It may have gas in it or water from years of condensation.

IP Logged
verslagen1
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

Where there's a
will, I want to be
in it.

L.A. California
Reply #2 - 07/17/22 at 10:35:31

don't burn up your starter, let it rest in between attempts.

don't let it idle on the kickstand for long periods, while leaning, the cam doesn't get evenly oiled.

put a 2x4 under the kickstand so it's nearly vertical.

if it won't transition to the main jet, you need to clean it and the needle jet and blow out the passageways.

WWW   IP Logged
Furby
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #3 - 07/17/22 at 10:57:29

Ohiomoto - Oops, by redone…  I mean I cleaned the carb. Why I mentioned the air screw is That I noticed while I had the carb out that once I took out the mixture screw it didn’t have an o-ring or spring on it.
Sometimes I have to many thoughts in my head. I truly believe I need a new petcock because mine is not dealing properly on the tank too.  Shocked

Verslagen1 - gotcha man, I will try that 2x4 trick, it starts first thing in the morning but then has trouble all the other times. Which I would think it means that it’s flooded? I’m trying to get this girl running again and feel like I’m missing some things.

IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

East Texas, 1/2 dallas/la.
Reply #4 - 07/17/22 at 11:00:31

If you don't put it on Prime you're not doing yourself any favors.
Use ether. Or brake parts cleaner.
After ten years, the oil that is supposed to be in the cylinder probably isn't.
If you have already pulled the plug then whatever was going to fall in probably has, but blow it clear anyway. Spray some light lube in, spin it over with the plug out. After that if you can't get it to try, the plug may have oil on it, check it out.
The stock petcock is famous for letting gas in the oil, if it's over full on oil,it's probably got some gas in it.
The bowl on the carburetor doesn't get gas till the engine vacuum opens the petcock. It's probably hard and needs replace and you need to put a Raptor petcock, about thirty bucks, on it. If you get a cheap one the fuel lines are skinny and don't work.

The people never give up their liberties but under some delusion.- Edmund Burke.
  IP Logged
Furby
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #5 - 07/17/22 at 11:47:49

I think I need that raptor petcock for sure. I stored it and the was injured with multiple surgeries so I am sad to say I didn’t store it properly and didn’t do it any favors. If anyone has the link or part number for the petcock I’d much appreciate it.

IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

Reply #6 - 07/17/22 at 12:48:02

was injured with multiple surgeries

They sure get in the way of living, don't they? I got home yesterday from hospital.
I'm betting the cylinder is dry,read what I posted. You don't have to put the tank on to get it running. Fill the bowl, if the weather is warm and the choke is on if you twist the gas it's easy to flood. The battery has to be charged, it can be turning over and no spark happens if it drops too much. It sounds like it Otta start, but it won't.
You have a voltmeter?
Charger?
You can use brake parts cleaner to blast the crap from around the plug before you pull it to oil the cylinder.
And you can open the air filter and squirt a whiff in there or if the seat is off just a quick shot down the snorkel. Don't get crazy with it. You're just looking for a bump,then hit it again just a hair harder. If it catches you can spritz little shots in and keep it lit while the engine starts pulling fuel. I do that with every engine that is being stubborn or just parked a bit too long. I get long life out of my mower batteries. If it's been sitting a few weeks I bump it off on ether.
Heck,WD40 has a butane propellant, or used to. You get oil and fuel.

The people never give up their liberties but under some delusion.- Edmund Burke.
  IP Logged
Furby
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #7 - 07/17/22 at 14:31:07

Yeah man, hospitals suck for sure. Mine was a blown knee ( acl ) and heavy infection,6 surgeries in total with bone grafts and donor tendons. They were talking about amputation if it didn’t get better. Luckily that wasn’t the case. Hope your stay was better.
I have a charger but no voltmeter, so what were you meaning with the spark plug out? I’ve been making it start once a day basically, I’m going to do what verslagen was saying about the 2x4 when I do get it started and my air filter was clogged. I took it out for the time being but now I feel I’m getting too much air maybe?

IP Logged
verslagen1
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

Where there's a
will, I want to be
in it.

L.A. California
Reply #8 - 07/17/22 at 15:16:47

Furby wrote on 07/17/22 at 14:31:07:
I have a charger but no voltmeter, so what were you meaning with the spark plug out? I’ve been making it start once a day basically, I’m going to do what verslagen was saying about the 2x4 when I do get it started and my air filter was clogged. I took it out for the time being but now I feel I’m getting too much air maybe?

It's starting, so that's half the battle won.
with no air filter, it's running lean and that's why you have run it on choke.
best to get a new one asap.
and it maybe why it's stumbling when you twist the throttle.

WWW   IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

Reply #9 - 07/17/22 at 15:41:12

Sounds like you're just about to win it.. Go with what Verslagen said
If it's hitting, it's firing the plug,
Play on!

IP Logged
Furby
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #10 - 07/17/22 at 15:56:36

Sounds like I’m going for a new air filter asap and we will see how it goes!!

IP Logged
ohiomoto
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #11 - 07/17/22 at 17:54:01

Did you remove the diaphragm and slide when you cleaned the carb?  

I didn't get mine seated correctly one time (even though it looked like it was seated right).  The bike would stumble and sputter.   It pulled the top, put a little grease in the grooves, reinstalled it, and it ran perfectly after.

Still sounds like a classic petcock failure, but the more ideas you have to work with the better.

IP Logged
Furby
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #12 - 07/17/22 at 21:39:52

Ohio, yeah I took it all apart. I believe I’ve got it all back together properly. I will check the next time I’m working on it and see if I’ve done everything correct if these other things don’t work. I’m having high hopes!!

IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

Reply #13 - 07/18/22 at 09:16:10

It runs on Prime just fine. If your petcock rubber is harder than a healthy one, sometimes they run okay at low rpm, when the engine is producing more vacuum, opening up the petcock and the engine is not using maximum fuel. At higher RPM you have less vacuum and you need more fuel,,
If the diaphragm is busted you are losing some vacuum and fuel can get in the oil.
No matter what, you should get a Raptor petcock on it. If I bought a new one with zero miles,I'd swap the petcock in no more than a year.

Dear Gurus

Would it be helpful for him to cap the vacuum and test on Prime?

IP Logged
Furby
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #14 - 07/18/22 at 09:55:20

I did see a post, where you take the vacuum hose off of the petcock and give a suck on the hose to see if fuel is coming through to see if the diaphragm is leaking. I tried this and it’s like I’m sucking through a straw, I don’t know if there should be back pressure with this action but it felt like there was no pressure at all  Shocked got nervous that I was just inhaling gas fumes.

IP Logged
Pages: 1 2 3 ... 6
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
10/06/24 at 19:25:32

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › Problems starting!! HELP!

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.