Donate!
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register :: View Members
Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print
Still belt noise or drive bearing? (Read 162 times)
Tocsik
Serious Thumper

the singularity

Denver, CO
Re: Still belt noise or drive bearing?
Reply #15 - 07/31/22 at 08:34:00

I initially had just a small gap between the rear face of the front pulley and a straight edge with it up against both pulley faces.  I made a minor adjustment (didn't take much) and things seem about as perfect as possible now.

drive_pulley.JPG

'08|Raptor|Dyna|Stock jets & no other carb changes @ 5280' alt|'slavy CCT|Kawa front pulley|130/90 rear tire|7" LED headlight|3" straight risers|FIAMM El Grande horns|Mutazu hard bags
  IP Logged
Tocsik
Serious Thumper

the singularity

Denver, CO
Reply #16 - 07/31/22 at 08:36:08

So, after putting everything back together, I ran it on my stand (strapped down) and made this video.
Let me know your thoughts.  I don't like what I'm hearing, but maybe it's just some normal belt slapping?  I need some expert advice.  Engine was cold here, so don't mind the roughness.

Thinking of putting the stock front pulley back on but I don't have a new washer and mine's been used for several on/off cycles.  The one where we bend up an edge or two.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Gztr1DV_WF4

'08|Raptor|Dyna|Stock jets & no other carb changes @ 5280' alt|'slavy CCT|Kawa front pulley|130/90 rear tire|7" LED headlight|3" straight risers|FIAMM El Grande horns|Mutazu hard bags
  IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

East Texas, 1/2 dallas/la.
Reply #17 - 07/31/22 at 09:23:28

If you're talking about the Chunk sound, do that again but make the belt pull something. Where it's engaging the drive pulley is so sloppy it looks like the trailing edge of the teeth are sometimes landing on top of the leading edge of the pulley. Can you get something to hang on the brake pedal to hold the belt back?
Watch it and see what you think.

The people never give up their liberties but under some delusion.- Edmund Burke.
  IP Logged
ohiomoto
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #18 - 07/31/22 at 12:30:54

It looks like your belt is trying to skip teeth on the front pully, but I think your test is flawed.

In addition to what JOG mentioned, your rear swingarm is at full droop making your belt looser than it would be with a rider on it.   If you want to run the test like that you might need to use a tiedown strap on the swingarm and frame to maintain some compression or tighten the belt a little.

IP Logged
Tocsik
Serious Thumper

the singularity

Denver, CO
Reply #19 - 08/04/22 at 11:36:18

Great advice guys. I gave it some rear brake with it spinning and things look better, but it was still raised up. I took it for a ride with the pulley cover off and I think it's OK. It sure didn't take much adjustment to effect a change, though.

Boy, having that pulley cover off exposes you to some new noises! I've been running with the belt covers off and prior to that was only running the large upper belt cover (plus the pulley cover, of course). This time I put everything back on and I'm not hearing the noise. Just a faint whine which I'm thinking is normal?

IP Logged
DragBikeMike
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Honolulu
Reply #20 - 08/04/22 at 19:52:51

Congrats.  Looks like you solved your problem.

Knowledge is power.
  IP Logged
Tocsik
Serious Thumper

the singularity

Denver, CO
Reply #21 - 08/06/22 at 18:17:13

Thanks everyone for the tips and suggestions!

IP Logged
Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
10/06/24 at 15:50:47

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › Still belt noise or drive bearing?

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.