Send Topic Print
1986 Rear tail light (Read 45 times)
rlllorad
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

1986 Rear tail light
06/26/22 at 01:46:07

First post and new bike, lots to do with probably a bunch of questions in the future, but for now, I’m working on the brakes. I noticed that when pressing the rear/front brake the dual function rear tail light does not secondary light up. I’m pretty sure the light is good, and will verify tom when the store opens) but for now the rear light is only illuminated as a running light and does not function for either front/rear brake action. Background: all other lights and electrical components working except for this. Have checked fuses and connections all seem to be good. Not really sure what I’m missing here and would chomp up some breadcrumbs. Thanks all in advance

IP Logged
Dave
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Camp Springs, Kentucky
Re: 1986 Rear tail light
Reply #1 - 06/26/22 at 02:21:52

The bulb is definitely the first thing to check.....especially if neither the front or rear brake lights the bulb.

Someday I will be old......But not today!

IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

East Texas, 1/2 dallas/la.
Reply #2 - 06/26/22 at 10:18:19

A busted filament in a bulb is nearly always visible.. If it looks good, hold it up to the light and thump the glass.
If you don't have a multimeter, you need one.
Set to
Ohms
One lead pinched against the base of the bulb
The other lead,you stick on one of the contacts
Meter should show almost zero ohms,
Then test the other side

If you don't get zero or a fraction from it
Bad bulb.

The cost of a bulb is low enough to make buying one you don't Need today not a big deal. You will use it one day. Having one around is not a bad idea. A dual element bulb, that application, is an 1157.

If you have a test light,and you need one of those, too, you can rig something to make the brake light come on. A zip tie on the front brake, A weight hanging on the rear brake, and see if you have power to the socket.

The voltmeter you just bought will do that, also.

The people never give up their liberties but under some delusion.- Edmund Burke.
  IP Logged
rlllorad
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #3 - 06/26/22 at 13:22:29

SWEET ya I def need to buy a couple more tools. I’m all ab having extras as this bike has found it’s final owner (maybe handed down to my son). I think it could be the switch as I replaced the bulb and same issue. Could the actuator be bad? I would assume it has 2 connection points one for the front and rear but when I pull down on the rear brake switch/actuator I don’t “hear” it flip. I also noticed when I turn the key to the second position the rear tail light does get brighter (as if the brake was being pressed). Not sure if that is relatable.

IP Logged
verslagen1
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

Where there's a
will, I want to be
in it.

L.A. California
Reply #4 - 06/26/22 at 16:03:20

rlllorad wrote on 06/26/22 at 13:22:29:
I would assume it has 2 connection points one for the front and rear but when I pull down on the rear brake switch/actuator I don’t “hear” it flip. I also noticed when I turn the key to the second position the rear tail light does get brighter (as if the brake was being pressed). Not sure if that is relatable.

Ya, you need a multimeter.
The front will click when you pull the lever, but the rear does not.
Didn't know the light gets brighter in the P position.  (no wonder the P position kills the battery)
That might confirm your brake light filament is ok.  I'll have to check.
1st thing to do is check the front brake switch works, pull the leads and check with the newly acquired multimeter.   Cool

WWW   IP Logged
rlllorad
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #5 - 06/26/22 at 17:07:11

Appreciate the help and will be buying a multimeter tom. Pulled the carb today and cleaned/rebuilt and created life! Was sitting for a while in a barn so I’ve been going through the whole thing and will take some time. I need to figure out the vacuum lines but took her out for a ride around the block and seems pretty good w stock carb/jets but there is a afterfire I need to address too. Def a project bike and tons of soul searching on this forum.

IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
04/26/24 at 00:35:42

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › 1986 Rear tail light

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.