Donate!
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register :: View Members
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
LED Headlight and Turn signals (Read 68 times)
Tony9
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

LED Headlight and Turn signals
06/24/22 at 19:33:43

Hi, I have a stock 2009 S40 that I picked up in March of this year with 8,000 miles on it. I am replacing the headlight and front turn signals with LEDs. The only other modification I have made to the bike so far is putting in a Raptor petcock. I am having difficulty with theses turn signals. I dislike working with electrics immensely as I feel I am dyslexic when it comes to reading wiring diagrams. I have fried two 20amp fuses so far trying to get the turn signals to work. I just got the headlight mount fabricated and will be getting the light on and start hooking that up tomorrow also, maybe the headlight needs to be hooked into the system for it all to work (I don't know). Anyway, all the stock wiring has 3 wires and the LEDs are 2 wires. I need some feedback on this one. Anything would help. Here is a pic of my latest wiring fiasco before I quit for the night (Greens and B/W are right turn signal -- Brwn, Blk(?) and B/W are left) ((Not sure if the pic came thru))
" alt="" title="" border="0" />

IP Logged
Dave
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Camp Springs, Kentucky
Re: LED Headlight and Turn signals
Reply #1 - 06/25/22 at 02:53:33

The stock turn signals use 3 wires - 1 is a power wire for the turn signal, 1 is a power wire for the running lights (brown), and 1 is the switched ground that goes through the handlebar switch (black/white stripe).  You will not using the brown wires anymore if your LED turn signals don't include running lights.

Connecting the headlight should be easy.  Yellow is the high beam, white is the low beam, and black is the ground wire.  

Most LED bulbs are polarity sensitive and will only work if you connect the wires to the correct polarity.  The positive wire needs to be connected to the (+) supply wire. You will also need to change your flasher module over to a solid state unit and replace the stock mechanical one - as the LED turn signal will not draw enough power to make the flasher module work.  The flasher module is on the right side of the frame under the fuel tank......look back a little bit in the this Rubber Side Down page and you can find the discussion about it that occurred a few weeks ago.

I do hope you bought LED turn signals that are worth installing.  Most cheap LED turn signals you buy are not bright enough to be seen in traffic in daylight - they are not safe to use as motorists can't  see them flash in daylight or bright sun.

Someday I will be old......But not today!

IP Logged
Tony9
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #2 - 06/25/22 at 08:44:14

Hello, thank you, this took care of the problem! Turn signals work as they should now! I am a happy camper. Your help is much appreciated!!! Funny but the right right turn signal running light wire is dark green (Dg in the wiring diagram) and the left turn signal running light wire is also shown as dark green (Dg in the wiring diagram)  but is actually brown. The wiring diagram I'm looking at is for the 2007-2009 S40.
Thanks again!

IP Logged
Tony9
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #3 - 06/26/22 at 20:02:42

Got the headlight and turn signals working and everything put back together. I guess I am creating a little bobber out of this bike. All I really want to do is thin it out. I don't know why manufacturers make all their bikes so big and "puffy" (and heavy). I'm starting from the front and working toward the back (as I can afford it). Next will be a dished Wassell mid-tunnel fuel tank. The tank will also be red like the fender with white in the dish! should look nice with a red rear fender eventually.

IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
05/06/24 at 05:32:17

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › LED Headlight and Turn signals

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.