Donate!
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register :: View Members
Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print
Earth Friendly Breather System with KrankVent (Read 81 times)
DragBikeMike
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Honolulu
Earth Friendly Breather System with KrankVent
06/14/22 at 22:39:13

I have been running an open crankcase breather with a catch can.  It works good in terms of performance, but probably isn’t doing our atmosphere any favors.  I can do better.  It was time to see if I could recirculate the crankcase vapors into my induction system without sacrificing any performance or economy.

I also wanted to revisit the Hayden KrankVent to see if I could improve performance.  Maybe I could get a little better fuel economy, or crisper throttle response.  The KrankVent is a one-way check valve that is installed in the breather hose.  It lets air pass out of the crankcase when the piston moves down, but prevents air from being returned to the crankcase when the piston moves up.  With the check valve installed in the breather system, a vacuum should develop in the crankcase.  The vacuum will increase the differential pressure across the piston rings, and should result in improved power and efficiency.  Seems like a good idea to me.

Back in March of 2020 I tested the KrankVent .  Other than adding weight, the KrankVent didn’t seem to do much.  I felt that the concept was technically sound, so I wanted to give it another try.  When I did the initial installation and tests, I was using a compound gage graduated in inches of mercury on the vacuum scale, and pounds per square inch on the pressure scale.  I always felt that the instrument I used was not sensitive enough to provide a clear picture of how the engine was behaving.  The pressure I was trying to measure was extremely low (about 1 to 1.5 inches Hg).  I really needed to be using a water manometer.  One inch of mercury is equivalent to 13.6 inches of water.  The resolution on a water manometer would be a vast improvement.

This is a link to the old KrankVent post.  It provides some background info if you are interested.

http://suzukisavage.com/cgi-bin/YaBB.pl?num=1585377641

Knowledge is power.
  IP Logged
DragBikeMike
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Honolulu
Re: Earth Friendly Breather System with KrankVent
Reply #1 - 06/14/22 at 22:40:04

This is the breather system I have been running.  It has served me well.  Crankcase vapors enter the lower section of the catch can.  There is a wad of stainless-steel scrubbing pad between the lower part of the catch can and the breather filter on top.  Any oil droplets entrained in the air get caught by the scrubbing pad, the air continues up and out the breather filter.  There’s a threaded plug in the bottom to permit periodic draining.

Catch_Can__Breather_Assembly_1_2_001.jpg

Knowledge is power.
  IP Logged
DragBikeMike
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Honolulu
Reply #2 - 06/14/22 at 22:41:17

This old post provides details on how my original catch can was constructed.  Construction of the new earth-friendly catch can is almost identical.  

http://suzukisavage.com/cgi-bin/YaBB.pl?num=1570415428

Knowledge is power.
  IP Logged
DragBikeMike
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Honolulu
Reply #3 - 06/14/22 at 22:42:03

This is the new earth-friendly breather system.  See how the small breather filter has been replaced with a hose and fitting that tie into my air boot.  The new breather still uses the scrubbing pad to trap oil droplets, and has a similar drain plug in the bottom.  It’s a very simple device.  Cheap and easy to build.

Earth_Friendly_Breather_Install.jpg

Knowledge is power.
  IP Logged
DragBikeMike
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Honolulu
Reply #4 - 06/14/22 at 22:42:37

You might ask why not run the breather hose directly into the air boot.  You want the catch can with the separator system to prevent any oil droplets or aerosols from entering the induction system.  Oil in the combustion air promotes detonation.  That might not be a problem on a low-compression engine, but on a high compression engine it could cause trouble.  Best to keep oil out of the combustion chamber.

Knowledge is power.
  IP Logged
DragBikeMike
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Honolulu
Reply #5 - 06/14/22 at 22:43:10

To facilitate the connection to the air boot, a simple PEX fitting does the trick.  I captured it with a snap ring.  Very easy to do.

Fitting_Captured.JPG

Knowledge is power.
  IP Logged
DragBikeMike
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Honolulu
Reply #6 - 06/14/22 at 22:44:10

One thing that would most certainly make this breather system a huge mess would be big-league vacuum in the induction tract (the section of the air intake system between the air filter and the carburetor).  I didn’t think that a little vacuum in the induction tract would be a concern, but a high vacuum in this area would tend to suck oil out of the engine.  I do not want oil in my combustion air.   If a significant vacuum is developed in my induction tract, the earth-friendly breather system is probably a non-starter.  

The oil-in-the-air problem is evident on the stock airbox.  With the stock paper filter and the super-restrictive airbox, it’s not uncommon to find oil accumulation.  That’s why it has the drain tube & plug.  You have to periodically dump the sludge out.

The long rubber hose on the bottom of the airbox is for draining oil.  The drain hose connects downstream of the air filter.  It is located in between the air filter and the carburetor inlet.  The other drain you see, the one with the clear plastic cap, is a drain used to dump water and debris that accumulate upstream of the filter element.  

Airbox_Drains.JPG

Knowledge is power.
  IP Logged
DragBikeMike
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Honolulu
Reply #7 - 06/14/22 at 22:44:51

This is the crankcase breather nipple on the stock airbox.  It also is located between the filter element and the carburetor.  I have never measured it, but I assume that on the stock airbox, the area between the filter element and the carburetor develops quite a bit of vacuum.  The contraption is just so restrictive that I don’t see any way that it wouldn’t suck like the dickens.  While it may get the job done as far as the environment is concerned, it works lousy if you are lookin for performance.

Crankcase_Vent_Nipple_Markup.jpg

Knowledge is power.
  IP Logged
DragBikeMike
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Honolulu
Reply #8 - 06/14/22 at 22:45:31

It was time to see just how much vacuum I could expect in my induction system.  I hooked up a water manometer to the air boot fitting and ran the engine.  Zero vacuum.  That K&N filter is excellent.  BTW, not only does it flow a lot of air, but there is also never any dirt in my induction system.  It does a good job of filtering.

Manometer_Connection_Air_Boot.JPG

Knowledge is power.
  IP Logged
DragBikeMike
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Honolulu
Reply #9 - 06/14/22 at 22:46:38

This YouTube video shows the test.  I found it interesting.  I figured it would pull a little vacuum, but the K&N came through with flying colors.  Maybe if I really gave the twist grip a good jerk it would have pulled a bit of vacuum.  I kind of regret not really cranking it open but what the heck, water under the bridge now.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XbXH7882hv8

Knowledge is power.
  IP Logged
DragBikeMike
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Honolulu
Reply #10 - 06/14/22 at 22:48:01

Now that I knew that the induction vacuum wouldn’t cause a problem, it was time to see what sort of pressure or vacuum I could expect in the crankcase.  I was into my long-term test of the 94mm flat-top piston, and the engine was running pretty good.  I think it was a decent representation of a normal LS650 engine in good mechanical condition.  The crankcase was vented to atmosphere via my standard breather system.

The manometer got attached to the crankcase fill plug.   The crankcase actually developed a slight pressure, about 1.5” H2O.  Before, when I tested crankcase pressure using a compound gage, it pulled vacuum.  But that was with the engine under a significant load.  I can’t ride around with a water manometer strapped to the handlebars, so I just gotta take what I can get.  But it sure seems like it doesn’t develop a vacuum with a breather vented to atmosphere.

This YouTube video shows the test.  It’s interesting.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rfYuOtY6DIM

Knowledge is power.
  IP Logged
DragBikeMike
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Honolulu
Reply #11 - 06/14/22 at 22:48:38

OK, so now I knew that it developed zero vacuum in the induction tract, and the crankcase developed a very small pressure with a breather open to atmosphere.  I installed the Hayden KrankVent.  The KrankVent was installed between the catch can and the head cover.  It’s a simple setup.

KrankVent_Install_1_2_001.JPG

Knowledge is power.
  IP Logged
DragBikeMike
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Honolulu
Reply #12 - 06/14/22 at 22:50:11

With the KrankVent installed, it pulled about 16” H2O vacuum.  Progress.

This YouTube video shows the KrankVent in action.  The water manometer leaves no doubt, the KrankVent sucks.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4hOOgvQkTc4

BTW, you will notice that it holds the vacuum after the engine is secured.  I timed the vacuum drop.  It still had 10” H2O vacuum after a 10-minute drop test.  It’s a tight motor.  Pretty cool.

Knowledge is power.
  IP Logged
DragBikeMike
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Honolulu
Reply #13 - 06/14/22 at 22:51:16

Time to install the new catch can.  With the KrankVent and earth-friendly breather assembly, it still pulled about 16” H2O vacuum.

This YouTube video shows the KrankVent and earth-friendly breather in operation.  The manometer is the way to go.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=h6HsmouSzLk

Knowledge is power.
  IP Logged
DragBikeMike
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Honolulu
Reply #14 - 06/14/22 at 22:52:29

I rode it around like this for several hundred miles.  Same results as the test I did in 2020.  It didn’t feel any faster.  Throttle response was the same.  Fuel economy was the same.  The only thing I noticed was the oil pressure was just a bit lower.  To make sure it wasn’t my imagination, I did a test to verify that the oil pressure went down a bit when the vacuum in the crankcase went up.

This YouTube video shows the oil pressure variation and its relationship to the crankcase vacuum.  It’s a really small drop in pressure.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=s0iC4YrHvyA

Knowledge is power.
  IP Logged
Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
05/07/24 at 02:37:58

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › Earth Friendly Breather System with KrankVent

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.