Newby (Read 85 times)
Needles
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

AR
Newby
06/09/22 at 07:18:22

I just got a 2002! Been looking for a bit now. I'm 66, and have ridden since age 13. As I've gotten older, my left hip has developed arthritis to the point that I'm afraid of dropping my "big" bike (2003 Moto Guzzi California 1100EV), so I don't ride it much. I hope to remedy that with the Savage. BTW, what's the deal with the timing chain? Timing chains in cars last 2-300,000 miles! I've only heard of timing chain problems on V8 racing engines. My Savage has about 20,000 miles on it, so I'll check it. Is there a better (aftermarket) tensioner?

IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

East Texas, 1/2 dallas/la.
Re: Newby
Reply #1 - 06/09/22 at 09:00:25

Verslagen sells modified ones.
I call anything I can't pick up Big,and won't ride one.  The Guzzi is plenty big.
They sure sound sweet at full song,don't they?
Welcome, and you are gonna enjoy that bike and this forum.

Are you familiar with MPH in Houston?

The people never give up their liberties but under some delusion.- Edmund Burke.
  IP Logged
Needles
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

AR
Reply #2 - 06/09/22 at 10:49:40

I'm not familiar with MPH. I mean, I know about them--- one of the few Guzzi places I'd let work on mine. I got it a while back from a place in Tulsa who's name I can't recall... Cycle Motion? Something Motion? Anyway, I do most of my own wrenching. And, yeah, the Goose has scared most Harleys and a few "crotch rockets" during my stint in New Mexico. Mountain roads are not straight...

IP Logged
verslagen1
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

Where there's a
will, I want to be
in it.

L.A. California
Reply #3 - 06/09/22 at 11:44:23

Needles wrote on 06/09/22 at 07:18:22:
BTW, what's the deal with the timing chain? Timing chains in cars last 2-300,000 miles! I've only heard of timing chain problems on V8 racing engines. My Savage has about 20,000 miles on it, so I'll check it. Is there a better (aftermarket) tensioner?

Car timing chains used to only last 90k miles and the savage engine design is from the same time frame.  But our chain goes from the crank to the head, so it's 3x worse.

http://suzukisavage.com/cgi-bin/YaBB.pl?board=tech;action=display;num=1191167029

WWW   IP Logged
Needles
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

AR
Reply #4 - 06/10/22 at 14:34:11

I have bought more than one Honda 750 SOHC inline 4 back in the day that sounded like they were going to explode any minute. They had a cam chain that was a bit smaller than a bicycle chain. After several wheelie attempts/successes the cam chain would stretch so much it would rub on the bottom of the engine case, making it sound like a can full of rocks. Replacing the chain made them "Like new". The chain on these looks to be pretty substantial, though I can see how the pulsing from a 650 single could stretch one out. I mean, when you get down to it, a 2 liter car engine is only 500cc at a time, with better primary balance from the 4 cylinders. Mine seems to idle pretty smoothly, for a single. (I had a '72 650 Triumph twin that would shake itself off the center stand at idle, and it had had the crank "balanced".) I'm going to check the timing chain while I wait for the title to come through...

IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

East Texas, 1/2 dallas/la.
Reply #5 - 06/10/22 at 23:09:41

It's the tensioner that kills the chain. The cylinder gets taller,when it warms up.

The people never give up their liberties but under some delusion.- Edmund Burke.
  IP Logged
Needles
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

AR
Reply #6 - 06/14/22 at 15:03:57

I wonder if anyone has tried simply defeating the ratchet mechanism on the tensioner? Even on those old Honda 4s, the cam chain tensioner was basically just a spring that pushed against the teflon slipper. (Guide) You had to compress it and turn the lock screw to install it, but then you released the lock screw and the spring just kept enough pressure on the chain guide to keep it tight on the sprockets. If the one on the LS was like that, it wouldn't matter if the head expanded or not, because the spring would work to keep tension either way.  I'm nowhere near the level of a Suzuki engineer, but it seems that if the tensioner ratchets tighter on a cold engine, THAT'S where the chain stretch is coming from. You'd still have to have a way to keep the parts from dropping into the gears as it wore...

IP Logged
MMRanch
Serious Thumper

Evil flourishes if
Good Men do Nothing.

LYNCHBURG TN
Reply #7 - 06/14/22 at 15:18:09

Welcome Needles

I put a weaker spring inside the plunger thing when mine only had 3k miles and it quit wearing.  It's got  little over 50k on it now and still on the 3rd ratchet click of the extended hole.  I had it off in the spring putting on a super metal clutch rocker/push rod pivot thing.  At the rate its wearing it will last more than 90k miles.     Just enough to take the slack out and the ratchet won't let it back up ... so all is well !   Get one of Versey's cam chain tensioners before ya take the side cover off.   Hay get one of those clutch rod pusher made out of real steel too.   Might as well do it all while your there - not that its rocket science or anything  Wink
I'll be 70 next Feb. and the S-40/Savage is no problem to ride.  It's a lot easier than my V7II Guzzi but the Corbin on the Guzzi fits both the wife and me a little better.

I see and feel the Holy Spirit in the world , as does anybody who has eyes to see. How far Man's corruption reaches into Organized Religion , we may never know
WWW MMRanch MMRanch   IP Logged
badwolf
Serious Thumper

Ridin' my Lil'
Bagger - 153k miles
so far

Palm Beach County, FL
Reply #8 - 06/14/22 at 15:39:38

Some of us are trying that,,,,but. DBM did some bench testing and just removing the pawl lets the chain slop around to give some outlandish bad valve issues. Now running at speed the valves won't be as bad as on the bench turning things by hand, but it would NOT be good.
Dave and I are running with the pawl disabled and a plug behind the plunger to limit the travel to 1.5mm or so. I have about 25k on mine since modding it with no issues. I checked it 5k ago and the plunger was out maybe 0.5mm more in 20k. Another 15k and I will hit 150k (70k on the ''new'' cam chain) and will open it up and check again.
Dave and I are both serious tinkerers with our own lathes and pile of tools.He is actully a engineer, and we know the mechanics of what we are doing and drawbacks.
This is still unproven, so try at your own risk. If you live in a apartment and have to work on your bike outside, it's not for you.

IP Logged
Needles
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

AR
Reply #9 - 06/14/22 at 16:14:18

MMRanch wrote on 06/14/22 at 15:18:09:
Welcome Needles

I put a weaker spring inside the plunger thing when mine only had 3k miles and it quit wearing.  It's got  little over 50k on it now and still on the 3rd ratchet click of the extended hole.  I had it off in the spring putting on a super metal clutch rocker/push rod pivot thing.  At the rate its wearing it will last more than 90k miles.     Just enough to take the slack out and the ratchet won't let it back up ... so all is well !   Get one of Versey's cam chain tensioners before ya take the side cover off.   Hay get one of those clutch rod pusher made out of real steel too.   Might as well do it all while your there - not that its rocket science or anything  Wink
I'll be 70 next Feb. and the S-40/Savage is no problem to ride.  It's a lot easier than my V7II Guzzi but the Corbin on the Guzzi fits both the wife and me a little better.

I'm already planning to get one of the modded cam chain tensioners, just because I'm so tight with ol' Murphy!  Smiley Where can I get one of the steel
clutch rod pushers?

IP Logged
ohiomoto
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

WTF is JOG?
Reply #10 - 06/14/22 at 17:02:48

Needles wrote on 06/14/22 at 16:14:18:
I'm already planning to get one of the modded cam chain tensioners, just because I'm so tight with ol' Murphy!  Smiley

------------------

So you know all about his Laws too eh?  Smiley

IP Logged
MMRanch
Serious Thumper

Evil flourishes if
Good Men do Nothing.

LYNCHBURG TN
Reply #11 - 06/14/22 at 19:37:28

One of the guys told me about the rocker clutch rod pusher durning the Texas trip this year I think ?

I'll have to do some back tracking to find where I sent the $$'s  unless one of the other fellers has it in their brain in an easy to find spot ??

Yea , I have broken two of the factory ones already .  Tongue

http://suzukisavage.com/cgi-bin/YaBB.pl?num=1613022271/83#83

I see and feel the Holy Spirit in the world , as does anybody who has eyes to see. How far Man's corruption reaches into Organized Religion , we may never know
WWW MMRanch MMRanch   IP Logged
verslagen1
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

Where there's a
will, I want to be
in it.

L.A. California
Reply #12 - 06/14/22 at 22:10:52

TheSneeze wrote on 02/04/22 at 17:34:36:
$20 plus shipping.  I am not starting to ship any parts until the strength testing is complete and results are posted.  You know, full transparency...

click on the red part then email sneeze

WWW   IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
05/11/24 at 19:47:31

General CategoryThe Cafe › Newby

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.