Donate!
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register :: View Members
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Decompression Solenoid Fix...for FREE! (Read 74 times)
SCS40

Riding again after a
19 year hiatus

Easley, SC
Decompression Solenoid Fix...for FREE!
05/04/22 at 18:10:51

So I've had this bike about a year now and nearly doubled the odometer reading at purchase of about 5500 miles. While (and since) curing the no-start condition caused (eventually) by the failed petcock, I grew concerned about the decompression system.

Even with a fresh, stronger than OEM battery, the starter would sometimes stall, at least partly, before continuing to turn slowly and finally fire. This almost always happened when I was a hour or so from home. Not a comforting feeling/sound at all.

Also, during starting, my engine turned noticeably slower than other Savages I've seen and heard.

Finally, I never heard the "click" I've read so many times about as the solenoid engages. That is, until today.

I also worried perhaps my starter and or stator were lacking and close to failure.

I tried twice last year to adjust the cable. Neither time had any effect.

I priced a new solenoid and relay and balked at the prices.

Last week I ordered a used solenoid, complete with all hardware, for $10 on eBay. Today, I planned the install and oil change.

After gaining access, I initially planned to simply replace the outer "shell" of the solenoid. It seemed the easiest route.

Remembering the factory adjustment procedure, I tried (again) to compress the "inner" portion of the solenoid with the same result: nada.

It occurred to me while examining the eBay unit perhaps the problem wasn't the cable adjustment or electrical. Perhaps the solenoid was simply stuck. Perhaps dirt or corrosion had taken it's toll.

So, without removing anything else, I used a screwdriver to gain a little leverage and was (finally) able to compress the solenoid. I switched on the key and thumbed the starter.

Voila! NOW I know what the "click" sounds like and was able to see the system in action! Overly complicated for sure, but kinda neat. Still, I'd prefer a simple lever on the handlebar.

So, for free, my decompression system now works. I sprayed some WD40 about for good measure. Wish I'd tried this a year ago.

Before spending any money, or wasting time on adjustments you probably don't need, try working the solenoid manually first.

And if you do happen to need the solenoid, complete with all brackets, hardware, and cable, I have a spare!

2006 S40 Euclase Silver: K&N drop-in, Duracell AGM, Raptor petcock, and ONLY pure gas (E0) https://www.pure-gas.org/ Otherwise Bone Stock and love it!

My Spotify Artist Page: https://open.spotify.c
WWW   IP Logged
DragBikeMike
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Honolulu
Re: Decompression Solenoid Fix...for FREE!
Reply #1 - 05/05/22 at 12:22:15

Congratulations.  Nice job.  Now that you know what the problem was, I suggest you take it apart and clean it up.  Lubricate the cable at the same time.  Get everything pristine so it doesn't hang up again.  I see you gave it the WD-40 bath but nothing beats actually cleaning it up and physically removing the crud.

Totally cool that you shared this information.  I'm sure it will help someone in the future.
Smiley

Knowledge is power.
  IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

East Texas, 1/2 dallas/la.
Reply #2 - 05/07/22 at 14:08:10

WD only cleans and temporarily lubes. It evaporates. It's Job is a Water Displacement. If your distributor gets wet you can pull the cap and hose the water out, IDK how long to wait before it won't arc inside, but that is the Type of Job the chemists designed it for.
They failed 39 times. I don't even own it.
Fun fact
A Big automatic transmission had been disassembled and replaced. Boss didn't want to trash it, so I put it on two pallets on top of the restroom in the shop. He told me to shoot wd all over it. Gave me two, new cans,,and it was soaking wet when I ran out. Imagine my surprise when I went up there a couple of months later and Everything was rusted. He tried to accuse me of not spraying it down,, that is how bad it was.
Location?

Between Midland and Odessa,, not exactly Florida..

That is when I started questioning the wisdom of

Grab some WD!!

The people never give up their liberties but under some delusion.- Edmund Burke.
  IP Logged
SCS40

Riding again after a
19 year hiatus

Easley, SC
Reply #3 - 05/07/22 at 20:24:02

Oh I fully agree on WD being a temporary...and free...solution. Given the price of new components, trying this is really a no-brainer. A new decomp solenoid alone is over $200. If you're able to manually compress the solenoid as I was, WD certainly won't hurt.

Disassembly, cleaning, and probably a few drops of machine oil (or similar), or even a lightweight grease would indeed be proper maintenance.

For a quick test and/or repair, WD FTW.

BTW, I've since added a few shots of penetrating lithium grease on the "piston" for good measure. So far, so good!

Also, is the sticking solenoid a "thing" on these bikes? There's really no telling how long it's been in this condition.

2006 S40 Euclase Silver: K&N drop-in, Duracell AGM, Raptor petcock, and ONLY pure gas (E0) https://www.pure-gas.org/ Otherwise Bone Stock and love it!

My Spotify Artist Page: https://open.spotify.c
WWW   IP Logged
ohiomoto
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #4 - 05/08/22 at 05:39:06

It's just a hunk of metal and an electromagnet.  The solenoid (and cable) operates once per start cycle and moves very little.  

I would keep those "few drops" to a few or even less.  Lubes do a wonderful job of attracting dirt.  

In all of my years of cycle and riding motocross.  The only clutch cable or shift cables I ever had to replace were the ones I "lubed".

Along those same lines, there are studies that prove a clean chain is more efficient and will last longer than a well-lubed dirty chain.  

IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
10/06/24 at 13:25:41

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › Decompression Solenoid Fix...for FREE!

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.