Send Topic Print
Air Fuel Mixture Screw (Read 223 times)
MiamiBobbed
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Air Fuel Mixture Screw
04/17/22 at 17:13:57

Well after a month of having everything that could prevent the old abandoned girl from starting/running – clutch switch bypass, starter relay, complete carb rebuild, spark plug, (cheap) coil, new battery, exhaust leak (thanks to Dave for the header hookup!), etc., I got her running and driving. Serowbot’s carb tuning for beginners helped tremendously!
But I have a question: she will ONLY run (with any sized jets installed) with the air fuel mixture screw all the way IN - and in tight. Half to a full turn out and she dies…even at a higher idle speed. That can’t be normal, is it?
I am suspecting the cheap Ebay carb rebuild kit did not have the proper sized mixture screw (it also came with a size 200 main jet and unmarked pilot jet!) and I may need a stock replacement. For reference I have a pod filter and an open header. I currently have the carb jetted to 157.5/57.5 but have only had her out 2 times and it backfires quite a bit.
I get that I may have to play with the carb jetting more but the fuel mixture screw has me stumped.

IP Logged
Dave
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Camp Springs, Kentucky
Re: Air Fuel Mixture Screw
Reply #1 - 04/17/22 at 18:04:22

The jets sound way too big......the adjustment screw is a "fine tuning" adjustment and some of the fuel from the pilot jet bypasses the screw.  Your jet is so big that the amount of fuel bypassing the screw is more than the engine needs to idle properly.

I start my jetting with a #50 Pilot and #150 main.

Since you are close to sea level maybe a #52.5 pilot.....but never a #57.5!

You will also never be able to get the bike to run properly with an open header.....and it will backfire and bang and pop continuously until you get a muffler on it.  And the muffler should not be one that is just a perforated tube that you can see straight through.....it should have some form of baffle.

Someday I will be old......But not today!

IP Logged
MiamiBobbed
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #2 - 04/17/22 at 18:09:58

Got it Dave. I am definitely at sea level here in Miami. So, if the jets are too big the air-fuel screw is useless? I do not have a 150 main but I do have a 152.5 (I, of course, can get the 150 to try it as well) and I do have a 52.5 pilot as well as a 55. I have swapped them around so may times now I can re-jet in about 5 minutes! Thanks for the help!

IP Logged
Dave
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Camp Springs, Kentucky
Reply #3 - 04/17/22 at 18:55:57

The screw controls only a portion of the fuel that passes through the pilot jet.  IF the jet is too big then closing off the fuel screw may not help.

To choose a proper pilot jet size you get the engine fully warmed up, then drop the idle speed down to around 800 rpm while holding the bike upright so as to keep the bike level so you don't starve the right side rocker for oil at the low idle speed.  Then turn the idle fuel screw until you get the smoothest idle.  If you can turn the screw all the way in and the engine doesn't start to sputter and run uneven....the pilot jet is too big.  If you need to turn the fuel mixture screw out more than 2.5 turns the pilot jet is too small (opening the screw more than 3 turns does not increase the mixture any more).

The idle fuel screw has very little affect on any speed over idle, and the pilot jet has very little affect after 1/4 throttle opening.

Remember to turn your idle speed back to 1,100 rpm after the adjustement of the fuel screw.

Someday I will be old......But not today!

IP Logged
DragBikeMike
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Honolulu
Reply #4 - 04/18/22 at 09:59:29

"I am suspecting the cheap Ebay carb rebuild kit did not have the proper sized mixture screw"

Greetings MiamiBobbed.  Check out this post on carb kits.  If you have a mixture screw that looks like the one shown in the post, you need to ditch all the parts that came in your kit and start over.  The post explains why.

http://suzukisavage.com/cgi-bin/YaBB.pl?num=1641171298

Good luck.

Knowledge is power.
  IP Logged
MiamiBobbed
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #5 - 04/18/22 at 12:34:44

Mike - I don't know what to say between the pit in my stomach, the feeling of sheer stupidity and wanting to scream/choke somebody (all on me). I guess first THANK YOU. Thanks, for the incredible post from January. You did not have to create it to help knuckleheads like me, but you did anyway. Thanks for sharing that knowledge. Thanks for having a sense of responsibility to help us knuckleheads even though we will just be on to the next poorly thought-out mistake before crying out for help! Thanks for taking the time to make sure our experience with these bikes and on this board is as valuable as possible.

Of course, you can probably already tell that my mixture screw looks exactly like the one in your Jan post. All the other parts do to! It’s been a struggle but I actually DID make the old girl run with those parts in my carb. Not well mind you and she was not happy but run she did! I saved all the parts that came out and they are soaking now to go back in with the extra added bits, like a factory gasket.

The upside is that I have had my carb off the bike and apart so many times that I can do it in a matter of minutes! I think I’m gonna go puke on my way to do just that. Thanks again for keeping us on the right track!

IP Logged
DragBikeMike
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Honolulu
Reply #6 - 04/20/22 at 03:40:04

Thanks for the kind words MiamiB.  I'm glad you found the info useful.  Now's your chance to pay it forward.  I suspect you bought your bogus carb kit on Amazon or eBay.  Your purchase history should have details on the kit and who sold it to you.  Would be great if you could post that info so we all know more about the kit and the vendor.

Good luck with your carb.

Knowledge is power.
  IP Logged
MiamiBobbed
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #7 - 04/20/22 at 05:06:30

DBM I have a feeling the carb will finally do what I have been reading here that it SHOULD be doing! I purchsed the kit March 22nd on Amazon without doing much homework and assuming it would be fine as a first time bike "mechanic". I would agree 100% with you that it should be steered clear of and my 3 weeks of trying to get the bike to run, with really none of the carb guide adjustments working the way they were laid out, are a testament to that!

Its called - Aramox Carburetor Repair Kit, Suzuki Savage 650 86-09 15Pc Carburetor Repair Kit. This is the link: https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07QXZ11VM

IP Logged
Gary_in_NJ
Serious Thumper

LS650 Cafe Racer

Amongst the Twisty Roads
Reply #8 - 04/20/22 at 05:16:33

Bogus carb kits can come from even reputable sources. I purchased a kit for my CB900 this winter from "the best source" according to the forum wisdom for the DOHC CB's. When I got the bike back on the road I was getting 21 mpg (vs 40), the throttle transition from the pilot to the jet was abrupt, and there was a general sluggishness with roll-ons. Turns out the kit had the incorrect needle. It wasn't even close. The OEM style needles are NLA, so my original needles went back in. Problem solved.

When available I ONLY buy OEM parts. Buy once, cry once.

A life-time student of motorcycling.
LS650 Cafe, DRZ400SM, FZ6N, SV650S, CB900C, Ducati ST2, CB550F-SS
My LS650=> http://suzukisavage.com/yabb2.2/Attachments/Left.JPG
  IP Logged
ohiomoto
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #9 - 04/20/22 at 18:12:28

I agree with the OEM parts comment.  From the carb manufacturer or Suzuki.

Also, I'm blown away with how focused people are on the air screw.  It has such a minimal effect on performance.

IP Logged
MiamiBobbed
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #10 - 05/02/22 at 16:41:31

Well guys, I have my carb back together with either meticulously cleaned original parts or new OEM parts ONLY...no more cheapie parts! She idles MUCH better and the new air-fuel misture screw actually does make the idle go higher or lower!

I do have a question though: The bike STILL idles much better (only the slightest surging while cold) with the air fuel screw all the way IN with the 150 main jet and 52.5 pilot jet installed. Additionally, when I rev the engine (sitting in neutral in idle) it dies when I let off the throttle. In other words - rev/die/start, rev/die/start, etc.

I am assuming I need to change a jet?

Thanks again for the support here!

IP Logged
LANCER
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

Savage Beast
Performance Parts

Oklahoma
Reply #11 - 05/02/22 at 18:28:53

If your screw is all the way IN and your engine is still running you need a smaller pilot jet...assuming the adjustment of the screw was done properly with the engine completely warmed up.  (ie. riding several miles before adjusting)

IP Logged
MiamiBobbed
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #12 - 05/02/22 at 18:56:20

Understood Lancer and thanks! I'll give it another run tomorrow just to make sure. I am new to the motorcycle mechnic world but with the high flow exhuast (muffler tip directly on the header) and only a pod air filter (air box removed) I really hoped the 52.5 pilot the bike came with when I bought it might work! Stock pilot is 47.5 (145 main) correct? If so I'll be buying more jets!

IP Logged
zipidachimp
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

surrey, b.c.
Reply #13 - 05/03/22 at 00:33:24

My sea level bike runs great with 52.5/152.5 and white spacer reduced to 1/2 thickness, pod filter. 150 main also ok.
Cheers!  Cool

IP Logged
MiamiBobbed
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #14 - 05/05/22 at 18:00:35

Got the 150 and 50 jets in and installed. Same issue - rev it, it dies. Start it, rev a little, it dies. Not sure whats going on but I'll sleep on it and keep plugging away. Where does everybody get their OEM jets? Thanks again for all the advice.

IP Logged
Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
10/06/24 at 13:28:44

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › Air Fuel Mixture Screw

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.