Donate!
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register :: View Members
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Bike won’t start after winter (Read 92 times)
RiderOnTheStorm
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Bike won’t start after winter
04/30/22 at 14:52:10

Hello everyone,

Over winter I tried to turn on my ls650 and it turned over and started fine. Recently I drained the entire thing. Took off the tank and repainted it and switched out the tail lights. Once I put it back together it would not turn on and eventually trying to turn it on led to the sound you hear in the video I posted below.

At first I thought it was the new gas needing to get into the system but after multiple attempts I may have flooded my battery. I’m not sure. Please help! Today is beautiful and I wanna ride.

https://youtu.be/mPcztbeOR8w

Regards,

Jay

IP Logged
SoC
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

New Jersey
Re: Bike won’t start after winter
Reply #1 - 04/30/22 at 16:12:23

Rider, from the video linked it sounds, or I might say appears, your battery is near dead. It takes a lot of juice to crank over the bike and it does not sound like yours is cranking fast enough. How old is battery, try jumping it.

If you don't have a charger connector permanently attached to battery, I suggest you consider it. Battery Tender kits come with a jumper attachment in it. Makes jumping the bike much easier.

IP Logged
SCS40

Riding again after a
19 year hiatus

Easley, SC
Reply #2 - 04/30/22 at 18:01:08

SoC wrote on 04/30/22 at 16:12:23:
Rider, from the video linked it sounds, or I might say appears, your battery is near dead. It takes a lot of juice to crank over the bike and it does not sound like yours is cranking fast enough. How old is battery, try jumping it.

If you don't have a charger connector permanently attached to battery, I suggest you consider it. Battery Tender kits come with a jumper attachment in it. Makes jumping the bike much easier.

Ditto. Make sure the electrolyte is at proper level and try charging the battery overnight. Also, try full choke with no throttle to start the bike cold. Even warm, with a CV carb, you should only need to crack the throttle.

BTW, were you burning ethanol-free fuel?

2006 S40 Euclase Silver: K&N drop-in, Duracell AGM, Raptor petcock, and ONLY pure gas (E0) https://www.pure-gas.org/ Otherwise Bone Stock and love it!

My Spotify Artist Page: https://open.spotify.c
WWW   IP Logged
RiderOnTheStorm
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Worked during winter. Now it won’t start!
Reply #3 - 04/30/22 at 14:01:48

hello everyone,

Over winter I tried to turn on my ls650 and it turned over and started fine. Recently I drained the entire thing. Took off the tank and repainted it and switched out the tail lights. Once I put it back together it would not turn on and eventually trying to turn it on led to the sound you hear in the video I posted below.

At first I thought it was the new gas needing to get into the system but after multiple attempts I may have flooded my battery. I’m not sure. Please help! Today is beautiful and I wanna ride.

https://youtu.be/mPcztbeOR8w

Regards,

Jay

IP Logged
verslagen1
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

Where there's a
will, I want to be
in it.

L.A. California
Re: Worked during winter. Now it won’t start!
Reply #4 - 04/30/22 at 18:16:41

well... at least it's trying.

charge the battery.

WWW   IP Logged
RiderOnTheStorm
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #5 - 05/01/22 at 10:33:34

Hey everyone. I got the battery recharged and it still won’t start but it will crank. Not just click. I checked the petcock valve and it has good flow. I made another video with a charged battery.

What should I do next?

https://youtube.com/shorts/q47Qik_5LKU?feature=share

SoC wrote on 04/30/22 at 16:12:23:

IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

East Texas, 1/2 dallas/la.
Reply #6 - 05/01/22 at 10:40:58

So much can be learned by providing a known fuel to the combustion chamber.

Hit it with a breath of ether.

You will know if you have spark.
It will pull fuel from the carburetor and either get it feeding the engine or not.
You can hit it with another shot before it runs out of ether,keep iit running a twenty seconds or so.

If you have not set the peacock to
Prime

Do that, and don't be twisting on the gas.

The people never give up their liberties but under some delusion.- Edmund Burke.
  IP Logged
Gary_in_NJ
Serious Thumper

LS650 Cafe Racer

Amongst the Twisty Roads
Reply #7 - 05/02/22 at 08:06:26

RiderOnTheStorm wrote on 04/30/22 at 14:52:10:
At first I thought it was the new gas needing to get into the system but after multiple attempts I may have flooded my battery.

???

Other than overfilling a battery, I don't know what flooding a battery could possibly be.

A life-time student of motorcycling.
LS650 Cafe, DRZ400SM, FZ6N, SV650S, CB900C, Ducati ST2, CB550F-SS
My LS650=> http://suzukisavage.com/yabb2.2/Attachments/Left.JPG
  IP Logged
SoC
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

New Jersey
Reply #8 - 05/02/22 at 10:25:29

Rider, Don't want to flog a dead horse, but in 2nd video it still does not sound like you have enough current from the battery. Rotation of starter falls off pretty quickly.You can charge a bad battery and it will read for voltage but the moment you hit starter it will just drop it down. Did you check electrolyte level like suggested.

You can easily try jumping it, trick is to use a phillips screw driver to connect to the terminals (wrap the length of it with electrical tape to avoid shorting on frame and hold it by handle to keep it in top of terminal screw). Assuming you can clamp onto the one terminal. It helps if you have a second person to hit the starter.

IP Logged
bobert_FSO

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Wichita KS
Reply #9 - 05/02/22 at 13:48:36

The savage ignition module requires, I believe 11 or 11.5 volts to run the spark plug. If your battery drops below this voltage, it may still be able to spin the starter (albeit slowly), but not supply spark.

I had that problem. battery was weak, It would start the bike if it fired right off, but if I had to crank it for more than about 15 seconds, it would not start because the battery got too low for the ignition module to work.

IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

East Texas, 1/2 dallas/la.
Reply #10 - 05/02/22 at 19:12:39

It can Sound like it should start,but the ignition will not fire the plug.

Get some ether

The people never give up their liberties but under some delusion.- Edmund Burke.
  IP Logged
zipidachimp
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

surrey, b.c.
Reply #11 - 05/03/22 at 00:21:11

Get yourself a VOM and read the actual battery volts before starting.
Cheers!

IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
10/06/24 at 11:26:38

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › Bike won’t start after winter

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.