Send Topic Print
Air Fuel Mixture Screw (Read 223 times)
ohiomoto
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Re: Air Fuel Mixture Screw
Reply #15 - 05/05/22 at 18:14:13

Wait a minute...you have a not running issue?!!  I thought we were talking about jetting.  I must have missed that, didn't read the OP, or simply got off-topic.

MiamiBobbed wrote on 05/05/22 at 18:00:35:
... Same issue - rev it, it dies. Start it, rev a little, it dies. Not sure whats going on but I'll sleep on it and keep plugging away. ...
--------

Did you check the fuel petcock?

IP Logged
MiamiBobbed
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #16 - 05/05/22 at 18:51:48

Fuel petcock is a brand new raptor, a real one. Battery is new and charged. Coil is new. Spark plug is a new iridium. Air box has been removed and a pod filter has been installed. Carb has been cleaned, both scrubbed physically and sonically. Carb has also been completely rebuilt (more than once) now with all OEM parts. White spacer has been removed and setup with 2 washers. I have a shorty muffler directly on the header. Tank is clean and gas is fresh. She starts fine and idles nice and smooth but when I rev a bit on the throttle she dies when I let off. #52.5 pilot jet did it, #50 pilot jet is doing it too. I don't have a #47.5 to try that. I feel like I am missing something but I don't yet have the experience to pin point it. Altho, if I'm honest I have felt very close to having her running great for about a month now!  Grin

IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

East Texas, 1/2 dallas/la.
Reply #17 - 05/05/22 at 19:46:12

Have you experienced success with the New petcock that you Certainly removed the plastic cover from?

The people never give up their liberties but under some delusion.- Edmund Burke.
  IP Logged
MiamiBobbed
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #18 - 05/05/22 at 20:34:34

Hmm...I'm gonna go with a yes? I have ridden the bike before all the cheap carb parts came out and OEM parts went in. It rode very rough and backfired ALOT but she ran. I assume if I had NOT removed the plastic cover from the petcok it would not be rideable at all?

IP Logged
Gary_in_NJ
Serious Thumper

LS650 Cafe Racer

Amongst the Twisty Roads
Reply #19 - 05/06/22 at 03:48:35

When you installed the Raptor, did you cap the vacuum nipple? A bike that won’t come off idle is usually a result of the jetting being too lean. You may be chasing the wrong problem. I suggest the use of an UNLIT propane torch too seek a vacuum leak.

A life-time student of motorcycling.
LS650 Cafe, DRZ400SM, FZ6N, SV650S, CB900C, Ducati ST2, CB550F-SS
My LS650=> http://suzukisavage.com/yabb2.2/Attachments/Left.JPG
  IP Logged
MiamiBobbed
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #20 - 05/06/22 at 05:39:11

Vacuum was capped when raptor was installed but I can run down a leak too. Thanks Gary!

IP Logged
ohiomoto
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #21 - 05/06/22 at 17:06:01

Okay.  Sorry that I missed all of that but this isn't a jetting topic.  Obviously, there is some fuel delivery or (not as likely) electrical problem.   This is way beyond the air screw of jetting.

What you describe sounds like classic vacuum petcock issues.  But you have that covered.  One thing that gets overlooked a lot on here is the diaphragm and slide.   I had a worn and sticky slide and it caused a few head-scratching lean conditions.  If that side doesn't open, the bike is will exhibit some of the extreme lean symptoms you decribe.

IP Logged
MiamiBobbed
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #22 - 05/06/22 at 17:22:12

Ohio I have been thinking along those lines as well. When carb was rebuilt the diaphragm and slide seemed to be good. (no holes or wear visible in diaphragm - slide in decent condition...I cleaned them up a bit...but WTH do I know!) However, they are 11 years old and the bike DID sit outside abandoned for 3-4 years. The rubber is a little tacky and well, the slide...if I blow in the narrow strip above the air intake it does go up and down. No idea if that means its "good" but it aint completely stuck. Anyway, I guess what I am trying to say is that even tho every screw, jet, spring and adjuster was replaced on this carb the slide and diaphragm were not (and at about $170 I now remember why!)

IP Logged
ohiomoto
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #23 - 05/06/22 at 18:27:06

You can pull the air filter and observer/fiddle with the slide.  Not sure that's it.

Also, POD filters sometimes block the back of the cab.

IP Logged
MiamiBobbed
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #24 - 05/06/22 at 18:29:30

Hmm...block the back of the carb...you have me thinking now. Will check that out too! Thanks Ohio!

IP Logged
Gary_in_NJ
Serious Thumper

LS650 Cafe Racer

Amongst the Twisty Roads
Reply #25 - 05/07/22 at 08:32:38

To test the diaphragm, reach into the back of the carb and raise the slide. When you let go it should not fall with gravity, but have a dampened movement. You should also hear air movement as it drops.

If it hangs before dropping or slows down and speeds back up, there is a problem

If it simply drops with no air sounds, there is a problem.

When you check for a vacuum leak, be sure to check the throttle shaft area too.

A life-time student of motorcycling.
LS650 Cafe, DRZ400SM, FZ6N, SV650S, CB900C, Ducati ST2, CB550F-SS
My LS650=> http://suzukisavage.com/yabb2.2/Attachments/Left.JPG
  IP Logged
Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
10/06/24 at 11:27:29

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › Air Fuel Mixture Screw

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!