Donate!
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register :: View Members
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Cable sizing for larger handle bars (Read 27 times)
ukthumper
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Cable sizing for larger handle bars
04/13/22 at 14:32:44

Evening all,
I’m swapping out my flat bars for pull backs and extending the cables to suit. There’s 8 cables on the left side. 4 have 9 strands each 0.3mm thick which is great because 5amp cable at Halfords (uk generic auto parts store) has exactly the same number and size of strands. However the other 4 have 16 strands at 0.3mm which doesn’t match the 8 amp cable from Halfords which has 14 strands at 0.3mm. The next one up is 17amp which has 28 strands at 0.3mm. My generic motorcycle wiring book recommends 28 strands at 0.3mm thick for headlights. My question is which cable should I use? 8 amp and not worry about it being 2 strands less or the 17 amp.
The down side of the 8 amp is presumably it might get slightly warmer which worries me a bit given the proximity of the fuel tank, and the downside of the 17 amp is the lights might be a bit dimmer? Any thought would be much appreciated
Regards
Tim

IP Logged
Dave
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Camp Springs, Kentucky
Re: Cable sizing for larger handle bars
Reply #1 - 04/13/22 at 19:24:10

ukthumper wrote on 04/13/22 at 14:32:44:

The down side of the 8 amp is presumably it might get slightly warmer which worries me a bit given the proximity of the fuel tank, and the downside of the 17 amp is the lights might be a bit dimmer?

The larger the wire size.....the more easily the electricity will flow.  A 17 amp wire will flow the current with less resistance and therefore the light would be brighter (but likely not a noticeable amount).

Amperage is watts/voltage.....so if you are using a 60 watts/12v = 5 amps.

It appears an 8 amp wire is fine for the headlight.

Someday I will be old......But not today!

IP Logged
ukthumper
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Re: Cable sizing for larger handle bars
Reply #2 - 04/14/22 at 04:47:12

Hi Dave
Thanks for your response and formula. 8 it is then. I’m going to set myself the challenge of learning basic bike electronics this year - I feel I should have been able to work this out!

IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
09/28/24 at 22:19:48

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › Cable sizing for larger handle bars

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.