Donate!
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register :: View Members
Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print
Are there any plug and play Li batteries? (Read 187 times)
akhsha
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Are there any plug and play Li batteries?
04/02/22 at 11:39:16

Searched the forum and I couldnt find anything since 2019. Have there been any improvements since then? I'd love a lithium battery that I can just install without any other modifications

Thanks!

2009 S40 with about 11k miles.
Verslavy, Raptor petcock, 12.5" shocks, harley muffler, 55 pilot jet, half size nylon washer.
  IP Logged
och
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Re: Are there any plug and play Li batteries?
Reply #1 - 04/02/22 at 15:00:29

akhsha wrote on 04/02/22 at 11:39:16:
Searched the forum and I couldnt find anything since 2019. Have there been any improvements since then? I'd love a lithium battery that I can just install without any other modifications

Thanks!

From what I know, Lithium batteries require a different charging cycle, which our alternator can't do. Furthermore, I'd be very wary of these batteries from little know brands, they can be a fire risk. You're better off with regular battery from a reputable brand.

IP Logged
Gary_in_NJ
Serious Thumper

LS650 Cafe Racer

Amongst the Twisty Roads
Reply #2 - 04/02/22 at 17:15:07

There are many plug and play LiFePO4 batteries. Simply get a battery with a  BMS and you will not need to worry about over charging. I have LiFePO4 batteries in all my bikes and have not modified the electrical system in any of them.

A life-time student of motorcycling.
LS650 Cafe, DRZ400SM, FZ6N, SV650S, CB900C, Ducati ST2, CB550F-SS
My LS650=> http://suzukisavage.com/yabb2.2/Attachments/Left.JPG
  IP Logged
ohiomoto
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

WTF is JOG?
Reply #3 - 04/02/22 at 19:18:48

What Gary siad.  

I have been using an AnitGravity battery in my bike with no electrical mods.

IP Logged
Dave
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Camp Springs, Kentucky
Reply #4 - 04/03/22 at 08:02:53

I put an EarthX in my bike in 2013 or thereabouts.....it is still working fine.

I have never needed to charge it or put it on a tender.  After 5 months of downtime each winter it fire the bike right up and we begin our ride.

The charging system on the Savage seems to work just fine withe the LiIon battery.

If you buy one it will likely be smaller - just get some dense foam and pad around the battery to keep it from moving around in the battery box.

Someday I will be old......But not today!

IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

East Texas, 1/2 dallas/la.
Reply #5 - 04/03/22 at 09:12:11

Nine years out of a battery that is neglected for five months a year? Shazzam!

The hassle of a dead battery can be pretty serious. I'm Not the guy who can run and hop on and start a bike. Dave,, if it was mine, I'd be getting jumpy.

The people never give up their liberties but under some delusion.- Edmund Burke.
  IP Logged
Dave
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Camp Springs, Kentucky
Reply #6 - 04/03/22 at 10:30:03

justin_o_guy2 wrote on 04/03/22 at 09:12:11:
Nine years out of a battery that is neglected for five months a year? Shazzam!

The hassle of a dead battery can be pretty serious. I'm Not the guy who can run and hop on and start a bike. Dave,, if it was mine, I'd be getting jumpy.

LiIon batteries hold their charge for a very long time (provided there are no clocks or other things draining the battery while it is parked.

I am also not beefy enough to push start a 650 single....especially one withe a Wiseco piston.  My one and only attempt was before the Wiseco and all I could accomplish was to slide the back tire repeatedly.

The bike always starts instantly and I have never had any indication the battery is showing it's age.  I have no idea how long it should last?

IP Logged
Ruttly
Serious Thumper

Thumpers Rule

Manteca , CA
Reply #7 - 04/03/22 at 10:44:46

Lithium batteries are fantastic, get the right charger. Have them in three bikes. One sat for 8 months fired right up without any charging !
However one minor issue with lithium batteries , they give absolutely NO warnings before failing , working great then nothing ! So just for the sake of hating to push my bike I just replace them at five years. The wrong charger will cause premature failure , but you will get no warning. Don’t buy a cheap one , get a better rated , name brand. Mount them anywhere , upside down it don’t matter , 8 lbs lighter the stock Savage battery.

The Topic Terminator
  IP Logged
Dave
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Camp Springs, Kentucky
Reply #8 - 04/03/22 at 12:24:03

And....if you leave your key on and let it go dead - it is likely dead forever and will have to be replaced.

IP Logged
och
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #9 - 04/03/22 at 12:58:29

Ruttly wrote on 04/03/22 at 10:44:46:
Lithium batteries are fantastic, get the right charger. Have them in three bikes. One sat for 8 months fired right up without any charging !
However one minor issue with lithium batteries , they give absolutely NO warnings before failing , working great then nothing ! So just for the sake of hating to push my bike I just replace them at five years. The wrong charger will cause premature failure , but you will get no warning. Don’t buy a cheap one , get a better rated , name brand. Mount them anywhere , upside down it don’t matter , 8 lbs lighter the stock Savage battery.

I don't believe thats true with lithium batteries at all, I believe gel batteries are the ones that die with no warning.

IP Logged
Gary_in_NJ
Serious Thumper

LS650 Cafe Racer

Amongst the Twisty Roads
Reply #10 - 04/03/22 at 13:58:18

A typical lead acid or AGM battery looses about 1% charge per day. A Lithium battery will loose 1% per month.

I wouldn't say that a Lithium battery will die without warning, but it will stop providing usable current if abused. I wouldn't crank the engine for more than 4-5 seconds at a time. Also, I would wait 15-20 seconds between start attempts. If you ask too much without rest, you'll be disappointed.

Finally, as Dave mentioned, if you are forgetful, maybe a Lithium battery isn't for you. A battery that has been depleted beyond 50% may not recover, and a battery that is depleted beyond 75% should not be charged as there is now a fire hazard. That is why you should not use a Lithium Starting Battery without a BMS (battery management system). The BMS will protect the cells from over depletion and will manage the charging of the battery to be sure it is in balance. A BMS is well worth the extra $20-$40.

« Last Edit: 04/04/22 at 13:41:57 by Gary_in_NJ »  

A life-time student of motorcycling.
LS650 Cafe, DRZ400SM, FZ6N, SV650S, CB900C, Ducati ST2, CB550F-SS
My LS650=> http://suzukisavage.com/yabb2.2/Attachments/Left.JPG
  IP Logged
ohiomoto
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

WTF is JOG?
Reply #11 - 04/03/22 at 17:03:05

Dave wrote on 04/03/22 at 12:24:03:
And....if you leave your key on and let it go dead - it is likely dead forever and will have to be replaced.
--------------

Yep.  I did that, but it took three attempts.   Undecided

IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

East Texas, 1/2 dallas/la.
Reply #12 - 04/04/22 at 12:11:40

ohiomoto wrote on 04/03/22 at 17:03:05:
Dave wrote on 04/03/22 at 12:24:03:
--------------

Yep.  I did that, but it took three attempts.   Undecided

If at first you don't succeed.....

The people never give up their liberties but under some delusion.- Edmund Burke.
  IP Logged
akhsha
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #13 - 04/05/22 at 10:43:04

Thanks all for your suggestions!

Gary_in_NJ wrote on 04/03/22 at 13:58:18:
That is why you should not use a Lithium Starting Battery without a BMS (battery management system). The BMS will protect the cells from over depletion and will manage the charging of the battery to be sure it is in balance. A BMS is well worth the extra $20-$40.

Are there particular brands that have a BMS internal to the battery? Or do I always need to buy a separate one and install it when converting? If the latter, is there anything I should know before buying them separately, or is a BMS pretty much a universal fit? (I admitedly have not googled this question yet, but I'm about to)

Also, I've push started my bike 5 times in the past week! The trick is to get it moving then jump up and drop down on the seat when you release the clutch. I'm about 180lbs, and I can do it everywhere but a gravel road (found that out the hard way).

Edit: nvm, the antigravity brand recommended by Ohio has an internal BMS. Thanks again all

2009 S40 with about 11k miles.
Verslavy, Raptor petcock, 12.5" shocks, harley muffler, 55 pilot jet, half size nylon washer.
  IP Logged
Tocsik
Serious Thumper

the singularity

Denver, CO
Reply #14 - 04/05/22 at 14:14:27

Quote:
I am also not beefy enough to push start a 650 single....especially one withe a Wiseco piston.  My one and only attempt was before the Wiseco and all I could accomplish was to slide the back tire repeatedly.

I got one heck of a workout the only time I had to push start this bike.  There was a slight hill and I had to push it back up several times before I got it to catch.  Key is using a higher gear, but it's still crazy hard with the big jug on our bike.  Tongue

'08|Raptor|Dyna|Stock jets & no other carb changes @ 5280' alt|'slavy CCT|Kawa front pulley|130/90 rear tire|7" LED headlight|3" straight risers|FIAMM El Grande horns|Mutazu hard bags
  IP Logged
Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
05/11/24 at 12:13:48

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › Are there any plug and play Li batteries?

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.