Gas where you live (Read 273 times)
MMRanch
Serious Thumper

Evil flourishes if
Good Men do Nothing.

LYNCHBURG TN
Re: Gas where you live
Reply #30 - 03/15/22 at 19:49:15

Anybody have any idea how high gas would have to get before the electric car market  becomes  the best game in town ?

I'm guessing :  About $6.15

https://fueleconomy.gov/feg/Find.do?action=sbs&id=43953

I just filled up the S-40 today and it averaged a flat 50mpg again.

It seems I need to work on that ... running up to 80 mph stuff and start letting someone else be the first off the red lights ?  Tongue

« Last Edit: 03/15/22 at 21:06:03 by MMRanch »  

I see and feel the Holy Spirit in the world , as does anybody who has eyes to see. How far Man's corruption reaches into Organized Religion , we may never know
WWW MMRanch MMRanch   IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

East Texas, 1/2 dallas/la.
Reply #31 - 03/15/22 at 21:31:47

Dave wrote on 03/15/22 at 13:53:30:
Regular is holding right at $3.99 a gallon here.......as high as they can get without having to use a "4" on the sign.

Maybe they don't have a four. Watch for duct tape

The people never give up their liberties but under some delusion.- Edmund Burke.
  IP Logged
Dave
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Camp Springs, Kentucky
Reply #32 - 03/16/22 at 03:02:38

MMRanch wrote on 03/15/22 at 19:49:15:
Anybody have any idea how high gas would have to get before the electric car market  becomes  the best game in town ?

I suspect that electric cars are not much of a solution during my lifetime.

https://www.greencarreports.com/news/1132685_california-heat-waves-prompt-ale...

Someday I will be old......But not today!

IP Logged
MMRanch
Serious Thumper

Evil flourishes if
Good Men do Nothing.

LYNCHBURG TN
Reply #33 - 03/16/22 at 06:49:02

Grin

There just don't seem to be a way to win here !   Huh

If a hybird could just plug into a standard 120V plug it might catch on ?

So

I'm pictureing a solar pannel on top the roof and a Hybird set up to keep it going .

That 90 mpg bike is sounding better all the time.    The DR200 is one of them but dang that 75mph top end is had to live with.   Its high speed cruise is 60mph.   That 88mpg is 45 and 50mph , that may be the real problem.   Undecided

How many folks remember :   Jimmy Carter's nation wide 55mph speed limit ?    

I see and feel the Holy Spirit in the world , as does anybody who has eyes to see. How far Man's corruption reaches into Organized Religion , we may never know
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

Reply #34 - 03/16/22 at 07:10:49

How many folks remember :   Jimmy Carter's nation wide 55mph speed limit ?

Ohh,HellYeah, miserable jakkass

The people never give up their liberties but under some delusion.- Edmund Burke.
  IP Logged
MMRanch
Serious Thumper

Evil flourishes if
Good Men do Nothing.

LYNCHBURG TN
Reply #35 - 03/16/22 at 07:50:46

Ohh,HellYeah, miserable jakkass    

Grin ,   Grin Grin Grin

And such a nice feller too !    With the Fire-side chats and all that stuff ... reminds me of Mr Rogers a little !  
but
He thought he was doing the right thing at the time .   Don't complain about him too much , he does build houses for the welfaire folks ya know!

I can't drive 55 !   (for long) !   Undecided

springman
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Spring, Texas
Reply #36 - 03/16/22 at 08:28:52

I can say one thing about Jimmy. He has been dethroned, he is now number 2 on the list of worst U.S. president's ever.

I remember Willie Nelson's commercial/slogan. Arrive alive, drive 55. Grin

And I am with Dave, electric cars will not be a viable alternative for quite a long time. The same morons that are saying just buy a $60K electric car, are the same morons that can actually afford $10.00/gallon gasoline. But I am getting into politics and tall tales here. I shall cease and desist. Wink

06 S40 seat mod, airhawk, HD muffler, Shinko 712 140-90-15 rear tire, Shinko 230 front tire, versy cam chain tensioner, Rotella oil, Volar brake pads, EBC clutch & springs
  IP Logged
MMRanch
Serious Thumper

Evil flourishes if
Good Men do Nothing.

LYNCHBURG TN
Reply #37 - 03/16/22 at 21:19:07

Well , I filled up with 87 % /100% real gas last time for $4.299 at Co-op,

I was thinking : (yea , I know ... I shouldn't do that)

When the  LS-650 was designed - I suspect the regular gas was 100% pure gas / 89 Octane .

So here is a question ?

Which is worse ? :  89 Octane / 90% gas
                            or
                           87 Octane / 100% gas

The Guzzi's valves rattle with either one , but the S-40 (stock motor)  don't seem to care !

justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

Reply #38 - 03/17/22 at 06:37:25

I'm a 100% gas proponent. Two octane points? Stock 650? Meh,,doubt you could make it spark knock. The05 did when it was new. But it stopped doing that as soon as it limbered up.
Besides, you can buy octane booster, but you can't buy Corn juice Begone.

IP Logged
MMRanch
Serious Thumper

Evil flourishes if
Good Men do Nothing.

LYNCHBURG TN
Reply #39 - 03/17/22 at 18:26:29

I refilled the DR200 today with a wopping 2.06 gallons that cost $4.799 per gallon (93 Octane).    
But
That was after putting 148 miles on the trip set.  Wink

The best part is it still had almost a gallon before going to res.  (3.3gallons total)

S-40 news :

The S-40 flooded out when I stopped a few days ago.   I turned the fuel off and it finally restarted  with just a little battery to spair !   Embarrassed
So I did the ... shut off the fuel and disconect the fuel line from the carb. ,
open the drain at the bottom of the carb. and drain the bowl , then put a few "Puffs" from the air compressor up through the dran hose at the bottom of the carb.  , then repeat a few times.

The result was profound !  I'm now running lean (to the point of "Loping" at 45-50 degrees) with never warming up enough to smooth out.
But
Today in 65 degree weather it ran just fine.  

So , I'm thinking ...

The carb. must have been over filling for some time ... resulting in sorry MPG numbers.    I put a new inline fuel filter in the line to keep it from happening again.

Hopefully the weather will let me enjoy a 100+ miles ride in the next few days.    I'm going to make my throddle behave itself this time !   The MPG should go up , at least a little !    Wink

Smiley

TheSneeze
Serious Thumper

Northern Nevada
Reply #40 - 03/30/22 at 13:43:13

I just paid $5/gal for diesel.  The most I have ever paid for fuel in my life.  Well, except for 102 octane race gas...

Every twenty minute job is a stripped thread away from being a three day ordeal.

'87 LS650h Savage Street Tracker
'86 LS650g Savage (parts bike)
'81 Kawasaki KZ750e ELR tribute
  IP Logged
Dave
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Camp Springs, Kentucky
Reply #41 - 03/30/22 at 13:58:24

MMRanch wrote on 03/17/22 at 18:26:29:
S-40 news :

The S-40 flooded out when I stopped a few days ago.   I turned the fuel off and it finally restarted  with just a little battery to spair !   Embarrassed
So I did the ... shut off the fuel and disconect the fuel line from the carb. ,
open the drain at the bottom of the carb. and drain the bowl , then put a few "Puffs" from the air compressor up through the dran hose at the bottom of the carb.  , then repeat a few times.

The result was profound !  I'm now running lean (to the point of "Loping" at 45-50 degrees) with never warming up enough to smooth out.
But
Today in 65 degree weather it ran just fine.  

So , I'm thinking ...

The carb. must have been over filling for some time ... resulting in sorry MPG numbers.    I put a new inline fuel filter in the line to keep it from happening again.

Smiley

It sounds to me like you should do a carb disassemble and cleaning before you head to Texas.  The last thing you want is to have to do that on the side of the road somewhere along the way.....or while we are supposed to be following youzguyz.

IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

Reply #42 - 03/30/22 at 15:14:00

It sounds to me like you should do a carb disassemble and cleaning before you head to Texas.  The last thing you want is to have to do that on the side of the road somewhere along the way.....or while we are supposed to be following youzguyz.

Let me translate.
That is code for...
I Don't want to have to help you on the side of the road, Duude!

IP Logged
MMRanch
Serious Thumper

Evil flourishes if
Good Men do Nothing.

LYNCHBURG TN
Reply #43 - 03/30/22 at 20:12:50

JOG !   Roll Eyes  Don't be "JENKS'ING ANYBODY"

My plan  to start the trip is to ride the S-40 to Lancers for a 630 mile day ,  unless it is raining.   But , I still don't like tube tires !   never have liked them  Wink  

In all the years we've been doing rides , I've been dis-abled once and wounded once.  
1. a flat tire last fall
2. a broken shock years ago in Texas.
I ride to and fro from the events more than or as much as anybody.   And keep up as good as average.   (Thanks for the Training OldFeller  Cool)

Getting back to the price of gas and related subjects here:
I got 55 mpg on the last tank full and refilled for $3.89 with 90% regular.
Who ever it was that suggested that the windshield and saddle bags run the mpg down a bit hit the nail on the head , IMHO.
Being light on the throddle and not having a "over-flowing" carb both helps with better mpg I think.

Dave
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Camp Springs, Kentucky
Reply #44 - 03/31/22 at 06:08:33

There is no question that I am a big fan of preventative maintenance  - working on my bikes is a hobby for me and I don't dislike spending time doing the things needed to keep them running properly.

If I had a carb that has been acting up lately....there is no way I would take a 3,000 mile trip without spending a couple of hours removing and cleaning the carb first.  The peace of mind that I would have from knowing the carb is proper is well worth the time it would take.  Some of these old Savages are more than 20 years old, and the rubber parts are starting to be old enough that they need to be replaced.

IP Logged
Pages: 1 2 3 4 
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
06/02/24 at 06:44:14

General CategoryThe Cafe › Gas where you live

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.