Send Topic Print
cleaning clutch discs (Read 52 times)
Rivenin
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

cleaning clutch discs
02/23/22 at 07:21:28

I put on a Mikuni carb and my clutch, lets say, is not enjoying wide open throttle - normal throttle i'm good, but lets say i'm merging on the freeway or highway getting up to 65 - once you're in 3rd or 4th gear, you can only twist the throttle so much before you hear the RPM's start climbing and nothing happening.
Clutch is adjusted within spec, i use rotella T4 like i have in all my bikes, so i ordered some barnett clutch springs that should be here Monday that i'm going to toss in and see what happens.
i've seen some recomendations of cleaning the clutch discs... and i'm guessing it's just going to be using some light sandpaper on the friction plates along with some mineral spirits / soap and water.
Is this advised? might as well clean it up while i'm in there since i'll have it open.

pic because why not

20211231_130716.jpg
  IP Logged
TheSneeze
Serious Thumper

Northern Nevada
Re: cleaning clutch discs
Reply #1 - 02/23/22 at 09:59:18

With stiffer springs you might want to consider putting in a stronger pawl.  See the Beefing Up The Clutch thread for more info, or send me a PM.

Every twenty minute job is a stripped thread away from being a three day ordeal.

'87 LS650h Savage Street Tracker (destroyed by fire)
'86 LS650g Savage (parts bike)
'81 Kawasaki KZ750e ELR tribut
  IP Logged
Ruttly
Serious Thumper

Thumpers Rule

Manteca , CA
Reply #2 - 02/25/22 at 10:07:22

Nice looking bobber , good job , I would ride that for sure.

The Topic Terminator
  IP Logged
SpamyToo

Reply #3 - 03/04/22 at 22:30:40

Ive tried several times to revive clutch discs and have never ever had any lasting success.

I would recommend tossing the friction discs and just replacing them.  They are like 60 bucks for a set.  At the price of oil right now your almost wasting that much with a few oil changes in this process.  Grin

The metal discs can be de-glossed with some scotchbrite pads or not too aggressive sand paper.

From my experience you can fiddle and fight with the stupid contaminated plates for mediocre results for a month, or replace them and be riding this weekend hassle free.

And I love to fix stuff.  It hurts me to say it even.

WWW   IP Logged
SpamyToo

Reply #4 - 03/04/22 at 22:36:51

Ive got to mention Ive seen two side cases jacked up because people refused to believe they had contaminated friction discs and instead washered up the springs, jammed in an extra disc and other stupid junk.

Swap those discs, use super plain ass engine oil and run it.  Thats been my recipe for success for 2 of these bikes now over 10 years.

WWW   IP Logged
Gary_in_NJ
Serious Thumper

LS650 Cafe Racer

Amongst the Twisty Roads
Reply #5 - 03/05/22 at 03:11:59

Replace the clutch. It’s a wear item and it’s done it’s job. You don’t try to revive your brake pads....

Your slipping clutch has nothing to do with you new carb.

A life-time student of motorcycling.
LS650 Cafe, DRZ400SM, FZ6N, SV650S, CB900C, Ducati ST2, CB550F-SS
My LS650=> http://suzukisavage.com/yabb2.2/Attachments/Left.JPG
  IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
10/06/24 at 11:21:29

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › cleaning clutch discs

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!