Donate!
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register :: View Members
Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print
Check out my new (temporary) custom cargo rack. (Read 321 times)
och
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Check out my new (temporary) custom cargo rack.
01/05/22 at 15:41:26

So this is used to be the cargo setup on my S40, I just took it off and it's up for grabs in the marketplace forum. It was basically stock saddle bags with supports and rails, stock passenger backrest, and a bent stainless steel cargo rack with a small bicycle trunk. It was decently practical, but I did not love it, so off it goes.

So now the story will get a little bit long, but it kind of has to. Besides the S40, I also have a V Star 950, and I take that bike for long trips with my wife, so we need to be able to carry a lot of stuff. I bought two large Viking saddlebags for it, and a genuine Harley King Tour-Park. The tour pack alone fits two full size helmets with room to spare, and then there is a bunch of room inside the saddle bags, now we can really carry a lot of stuff.

However the stock cargo rack was far too small and flimsy to properly mount the gigantic tour pack, so I researched and found a company called Wompus racks. They sell custom made heavy duty racks, and I ordered one. It worked much better than the stock rack, but I did not love it. It was made from light gauge steel, with a black powder coat finish, and it was welded out of three pieces, and fitment wasn't perfect.

So I decided to make one myself. I had it laser cut out of full 1/8" thick 316 stainless steel, and brake formed instead of welded, with base and all the mounting holes to specifically alight with the tour pack. It worked out great - perfect fit, solid, stainless steel for corrosion resistance, and simple to mount with just four bolts.

However when I was laser cutting it, I had a leftover sheet of stainless that would otherwise be waste, but it fit the template to make 2 racks... so I made two of them and one was just sitting in my garage collecting dust. So earlier today, I said let me try something - put it against the rear fender of my S40, and it looked like it would fit.

So I took off all the stock stuff, and had it mounted. It fit, but obviously not too well. It is way to low, with the base almost resting on the tail light, and blocking its view, and the base is lower than the seat.

I will order a new trunk, when I decide which trunk I like, and I will then determine the exact size of the base and the risers, and cut a new rack. Meanwhile, check out the photos - it is much lighter than the stock junk, much stronger, and much easier to install with just four bolts.

IP Logged
TheSneeze
Serious Thumper

Northern Nevada
Re: Check out my new (temporary) custom cargo rack
Reply #1 - 01/05/22 at 17:04:15

Nice piece of sheet metal work there!  I like the brushed finish.

Every twenty minute job is a stripped thread away from being a three day ordeal.

'87 LS650h Savage Street Tracker
'86 LS650g Savage (parts bike)
'81 Kawasaki KZ750e ELR tribute
  IP Logged
och
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #2 - 01/05/22 at 17:13:17

Yep, I could do polished as well, but its much more expensive, I'm not buying a 4x8 sheet just for that. I can polish it to mirror finish by hand, but thats just too much work.

IP Logged
Evanswv

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #3 - 01/05/22 at 18:50:11

Looks real good.

IP Logged
Tocsik
Serious Thumper

the singularity

Denver, CO
Reply #4 - 01/06/22 at 14:59:04

How about mounting low-profile brake and turn signal lights on the trunk and not worrying about raising it?  Or do you want the on/off option to be clean?  You could mount lights on the box with a quick disconnect and leave the stock lights on the bike, too.  If everything is LED, the bike's meager charging system can probably handle it.

'08|Raptor|Dyna|Stock jets & no other carb changes @ 5280' alt|'slavy CCT|Kawa front pulley|130/90 rear tire|7" LED headlight|3" straight risers|FIAMM El Grande horns|Mutazu hard bags
  IP Logged
och
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #5 - 01/06/22 at 19:35:11

Tocsik wrote on 01/06/22 at 14:59:04:
How about mounting low-profile brake and turn signal lights on the trunk and not worrying about raising it?  Or do you want the on/off option to be clean?  You could mount lights on the box with a quick disconnect and leave the stock lights on the bike, too.  If everything is LED, the bike's meager charging system can probably handle it.

Well, a few things. First, I don't want the trunk to project far out of the bike, I am actually waiting for the trunk to arrive so I can measure it up against the bike so see how it fits, and I am thinking of installing it over the passenger portion of the seat. It will essentially make the bike only possible to ride solo, but I always ride solo, so its fine. Plus I sit far back on the seat, half way onto the passenger portion, and the backrest of the trunk is going to be rider backrest.

Second, I really don't want to put any lights onto the trunk. It is a nice leather wrapped trunk, any lights are going to look out of place, so I am designing the cargo rack in such way where it wont block the lights.

And finally, when it comes to turn signals, I don't know yet what I am going to do. I may install them onto the new rack, more or less like they came from factory, or I may relocate them onto the license plate.

IP Logged
SoC

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

New Jersey
Reply #6 - 01/06/22 at 20:37:39

Nice work, but I have to say that the seat might be the most comfortable looking I have ever seen on one of our rides.

IP Logged
och
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #7 - 01/06/22 at 20:57:22

SoC wrote on 01/06/22 at 20:37:39:
Nice work, but I have to say that the seat might be the most comfortable looking I have ever seen on one of our rides.

It is a Corbin seat, modified - stuffed with foam to make even height across the rider and the passenger portion. Being 6'4", I used to ride on the passenger portion of the seat before I had the seat modified.  Grin

IP Logged
och
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #8 - 01/07/22 at 05:10:48

Just did a rough sketch to visualize what I plan on doing. This is on a photo of a stock S40 that I found, mine is different since my seat is the same height across the whole length.

IP Logged
och
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #9 - 01/07/22 at 10:31:42

And just for shits and giggles, this is my riding position on the bike.  Grin Grin Grin

« Last Edit: 01/07/22 at 15:33:36 by och »  
  IP Logged
Evanswv

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #10 - 01/08/22 at 15:18:05

[quote author=58545F370 link=1641426086/0#9 date=1641580302]And just for shits and giggles, this is my riding position on the bike.  /quote]
My Savage has the same seat as the one you have pictured, and that's about how I fit.  I think I may be a little tall for the bike, and wonder if I look funny, but really don't care. I can ride properly seated, and may take the rear cushion off, and make a rack that utilizes the standards for the sissy bar (which the guy that I got the bike from is supposed to look for), and mount a decent trunk.

IP Logged
och
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #11 - 01/09/22 at 19:50:16

The Viking trunk came in today, I test fitted it, it looks great!

IP Logged
och
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #12 - 01/13/22 at 16:18:24

I sent my seat to Russell Cycle Products to get properly redone. I the meantime, I made a cardboard template of the rack, waiting to get the seat back before I laser cut the stainless. Want to make sure the dimensions are good.

IP Logged
och
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #13 - 02/22/22 at 14:48:29

Ok, so I now go pretty much everything to complete it.

Seat redone by Russell Cycle.
Viking Bags leather top case
Stainless cargo rack
Eight grade 9 bolts, 3/8"-16 x 1-1/2", with washers, distorted thread nuts, and 3/4" stainless steel spacers.
Harley turn signals with Kuryakyn Tracer diffused LED inserts

So far I have only installed the seat, its raining and nasty outside, if it stops raining I will go out and try to install the rack.

IP Logged
och
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #14 - 02/22/22 at 16:29:24

As if I have the patience for this rain nonsense. Went out and installed the rack and the turn signals. Will try and get the top case in tomorrow.

Video in the link below, shows off the turn Tracer turn signals. They are ridiculously blind, I might do the same conversion for my front signals as well. In the front I have Sylvania Zevo LED bulbs, they are about the same brightness as stock halogen.

https://youtu.be/4Gm9TK5ZbX4

IP Logged
Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
03/29/24 at 06:23:51

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › Check out my new (temporary) custom cargo rack.

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.