Serowbot
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

OK.... so what's the
speed of dark?

Tucson Az
Re: Bike is flooding, BAD!
Reply #15 - 02/15/22 at 08:35:56

Your current jets should make you a tad lean if anything.
But you're very rich.
I don't think jetting is the problem.
Fuel is getting past the jets instead of through them.
Very frustrating, I can understand.

If the rubber diaphragm on the slide is intact,  check that the slide is not gummed up.  A black layer of gook can build up on it and look like normal surface.  Make sure that sucker floats really smoothly in the tunnel.
Other than that, I think fuel is getting past the jets somehow.  That's why I asked about where your fuel line is connected.
Sorry this is so frustrating.  Don't give up.  I think this is something obvious we are missing.

Ludicrous Speed !... ... Huh...
  IP Logged
CannabisChemist850
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #16 - 02/15/22 at 10:43:24

I thought that I should be on the lean side with this setup also. The pilot that I removed was originally a 52.5, but I was hoping to lean it out and fix the 30mpg issue. My fuel line is connected correctly.

The diaphragm is intact, I gently stretched it all around to make sure there were no small fissures. The slide was black and dirty when I first removed it, but I cleaned it up and had it looking shiny and new. It moves smoothly, with nearly no resistance.

I even took the carb off, drained it, and flipped it upside down to do the ol' blow in the fuel input hole and see if the needle is seating and forming a seal, and it does seal. When connecting the clear line to the bottom of the float bowl, it fills to about 1/16" below the float bowl seal, as I have seen in another post on here (thanks for this awesome resource and for sharing all of the collective knowledge!!)

But now, short of ordering new parts for all of the carb internals, I'm at a loss. All of the links and part numbers I have found on this site are all dead or out of stock. Any body have a good parts resource, with parts numbers as well?

IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

East Texas, 1/2 dallas/la.
Reply #17 - 02/15/22 at 11:33:59

I'm Waay past my ability to help, but I'm sure gonna follow this.

Hey,you probably already said, but how does it run? Good power? What is your top end?
Am I correct thinking that If the plug isn't lighting it off well that mpg suffers?
What is going on at the end of the exhaust? Is there even anything to learn from looking at it? Idk..
I'm probably embarrassing myself with Stewpid ideas, meehh,, if it gets someone thinking, I'm okay with that.

The people never give up their liberties but under some delusion.- Edmund Burke.
  IP Logged
CannabisChemist850
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #18 - 02/15/22 at 13:38:59

I have only had the bike a couple of months. But it has gotten 30mpg the entire time I have owned it. It seemed to be running perfectly fine. Not popping, no sluggish throttle, it was a nice riding bike other than the crappy mileage. Then it started to get sluggish at idle for the last couple of days it was running, and I would have to give it 1/8 throttle at stops to keep the idle speed right. Then after a couple days of the slow idle, it died at a stop and wouldn't re-start. About an hour later I had gas everywhere, I guess a float was stuck. Cleaned the carb, and ever since it has been drowning. I'm guessing it was always drowning a little, but the dirty carb jets and such were helping reduce fuel, and now that it is clean there is too much fuel. But all the jets are correctly sized, the carb parts are Mikuni (although they have seen some miles for sure), and the float bowl fills to the correct height.
The end of the exhaust is black. It is definitely covered in a thick carbon deposit, indicating that the system is far too rich. My pipes also turned blue over the last couple of days on the bike before it crapped out. Also indicating an abundance of fuel. Why is there too much fuel? THIS I need to answer.  Grin

IP Logged
Serowbot
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

OK.... so what's the
speed of dark?

Tucson Az
Reply #19 - 02/15/22 at 14:04:17

The main jet should have a washer on it.
Is yours missing?  17 on this diagram.
https://www.cheapcycleparts.com/oemparts/a/suz/50d32f55f8700232d0b3d7de/carbu...

index.png

Ludicrous Speed !... ... Huh...
  IP Logged
CannabisChemist850
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #20 - 02/18/22 at 10:17:40

Thank you for the link! My main jet does have a washer. I have ordered all new OEM parts. They should arrive in about a week, until then I will keep taking it apart and tinkering and trying it out over and over again. Hopefully something works. Huh

IP Logged
TheSneeze
Serious Thumper

Northern Nevada
Reply #21 - 02/18/22 at 11:35:16

The bluing of the exhaust is an indication of heat, not fuel.  A lean condition can also create excessive heat.  Clearly an indication something isn't happy.

Every twenty minute job is a stripped thread away from being a three day ordeal.

'87 LS650h Savage Street Tracker (destroyed by fire)
'86 LS650g Savage (parts bike)
'81 Kawasaki KZ750e ELR tribut
  IP Logged
CannabisChemist850
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #22 - 02/19/22 at 06:09:45

Ok, so I'm still awaiting new carb parts, but I took it apart. Put a different needle and needle jet I had and the bike fired right up and ran perfect for about 15 minutes. Then it blacked out the spark plug again and it died. Clean the spark plug and it runs great for about 15 minutes, then dies again. It is idling correctly, revving responsively, and felt like a great ride. It definitely wasn't sounding or feeling like it was drowning. How could I be fouling spark plugs soo fast? Using NGK Dpr8ea-9 spark plug.

I will have all new Mikuni OEM parts delivered in 1 week, but I want to ride before then! All parts internal all Mikuni but are of unknown age and functionality, so I ordered all new ones. But this bike ran with the old parts, just got 30mpg. But it took over 500 miles to black out and foul the plug before, now it takes less than 5.

IP Logged
Gary_in_NJ
Serious Thumper

LS650 Cafe Racer

Amongst the Twisty Roads
Reply #23 - 02/19/22 at 07:54:54

Check the resistance of the coil primary and secondary. The primary should be 1-7 ohms and the secondary between 10,000 and 25,000 ohms. Usually if there is continuity, the coil will pass. I believe that 3 ohms and 15,000 ohms are the sweet spots.

While wrong jets/needle can lead to a *little* change in fuel mileage, it shouldn't be significant. Since 90% of your riding is on the needle, that is the circuit that should get most of your attention.

A life-time student of motorcycling.
LS650 Cafe, DRZ400SM, FZ6N, SV650S, CB900C, Ducati ST2, CB550F-SS
My LS650=> http://suzukisavage.com/yabb2.2/Attachments/Left.JPG
  IP Logged
CannabisChemist850
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #24 - 02/19/22 at 10:09:25

Care to walk me through that Gary?

IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

Reply #25 - 02/19/22 at 16:53:54

I'll start

Check the resistance of the coil primary and secondary.

Gotta have an ohm meter.
You can get a cheap, in every measure of the word, meter from harbor freight.

I'd much prefer you spend more and have a better tool.
My Micronta from Radio Shack is 31 years old. I've buried three harbor freight ones. I'll buy another one, if I'm going to test something that might kill a meter.
I'm not about to risk hurting my Micronta.

The people never give up their liberties but under some delusion.- Edmund Burke.
  IP Logged
CannabisChemist850
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #26 - 02/28/22 at 06:23:28

Hey guys, update time. I tested the ignition coil, it got 3.9ohms and 11,000 ohms. I ordered a new one. Replaced the carb internals with all brand new OEM Mikuni parts. Replaced the ignition coil with one from EBAY ($13 score!) that tested at 4.1 ohms and 15,000 ohms. The bike now runs beautifully! I put about 250 miles on it this weekend, and now my mileage has gone from 30mpg up to about 47mpg! I think my bike is back to being happy. And after all of the parts that has gone into it, it should be happy for years to come. Thanks for all of the tips and advice! Cool

IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

Reply #27 - 02/28/22 at 07:43:34

Good going...

IP Logged
Gary_in_NJ
Serious Thumper

LS650 Cafe Racer

Amongst the Twisty Roads
Reply #28 - 02/28/22 at 12:06:12

I always like a happy ending.

A life-time student of motorcycling.
LS650 Cafe, DRZ400SM, FZ6N, SV650S, CB900C, Ducati ST2, CB550F-SS
My LS650=> http://suzukisavage.com/yabb2.2/Attachments/Left.JPG
  IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

Reply #29 - 03/04/22 at 13:47:31

Ahh,fond memories of the massage parlor visits

IP Logged
Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
10/06/24 at 11:31:16

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › Bike is flooding, BAD!

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.