Donate!
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register :: View Members
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
#80 Main Jet in a Savage? (Read 55 times)
ckahleer

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

#80 Main Jet in a Savage?
12/11/21 at 16:26:48

The PO of my 2002 Savage said she coud never get it to go over 45mph. She pulled the carburetor apart to clean it up, but coulden't figure out how to get it back together. So she had a friend help her. She was never able to get the bike running after that. She bought a new motorcycle and left the Savage sit for a year until I bought it.
I found no washer on the mixture screw and only half of whats left of the o-ring. There were no markings on the main jet, no washer under it, and the hole looked small. Using wire gages, I found the hole to be .032". This equates to a #80 Mikuni main jet. as opposed to the stock #145.

The bike has stock are filter but a Suppertrapp muffler. Should a #145 main jet still work with that muffler

IP Logged
DragBikeMike
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Honolulu
Re: #80 Main Jet in a Savage?
Reply #1 - 12/11/21 at 18:24:17

In regard to your question about the main jet, the #145 should work but it will most likely be on the lean side.  A lot depends on how many disks are in the SuperTrapp and how your airbox is set up.  I would start with a #150 and groom from there.

Based on what you have shared so far, I suggest you restore the carb to stock configuration.  Seems like there has been a lot of fiddling around in its prior history.  You need to get it back to baseline and start from there.

You should have a #52.5 pilot jet, a #145 main jet, a X-7M needle jet, a 5C39 slide needle, a #45 pilot air jet 1, a #230 pilot air jet 2, and a .024" diameter main air bleed.

It very important that you verify that the parts are genuine Suzuki parts.  Make sure your needle jet is stainless steel.  If it is brass it's not OEM and you won't have a good place to start.  It should be silver, not gold, and have emulsion holes as shown here.  Note that the thin rod is a pin gage that I was using to measure the emulsion holes.

Emulsion_holes_026_2_002.JPG

Knowledge is power.
  IP Logged
DragBikeMike
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Honolulu
Reply #2 - 12/11/21 at 18:28:12

I suggest your pick up several main jets so you can dial in your carb.  A #145, #147.5, #150 and #152.5 should be adequate.  You have already noted a missing washer under the main jet.  You must get one of those washers.

Main_Jet_Washer_2_001.JPG

Knowledge is power.
  IP Logged
DragBikeMike
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Honolulu
Reply #3 - 12/11/21 at 18:30:48

Mikuni pilot jets come with and without air bleed holes.  You do not want air bleed holes in the side of your pilot jet.  The stock #52.5 pilot jet should work OK.  Make sure no one has installed an air bleed type pilot jet.  Your pilot jet should look like this.

Pilot_Jets.jpg

Knowledge is power.
  IP Logged
DragBikeMike
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Honolulu
Reply #4 - 12/11/21 at 18:35:41

Your slide needle needs to match your needle jet.  Make sure it has 5C39 stamped on the needle.  It will only have one groove in the needle for a circlip.  The assembly should stack up as shown.  Nylon washer on top of the c-clip, steel washer under the c-clip, spring under the steel washer.

Slide_Needle_Assy_Stack.jpg

Knowledge is power.
  IP Logged
DragBikeMike
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Honolulu
Reply #5 - 12/11/21 at 18:48:25

In the event that your slide needle has three grooves instead of only one groove, it may be the old-style needle (5C17).  The 5C17 is good and will work fine.  It's a nice upgrade since it provides a bit more adjustment. The taper dimensions are exactly identical to the newer 5C39.  Any other slide needle is bogus.  If it doesn't have 5C39 or 5C17 stamped on the side, I suggest you not use it.

Knowledge is power.
  IP Logged
ckahleer

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #6 - 12/12/21 at 16:11:29

Thanks DragBikeMike. All the jet numbers you provided helps alot.
It looks like the only things not stock are the main jet and the slide needle.
Once I get the parts and carburetor installed I'll report back.

I will also need mixture screw washer and o-ring, main jet washer, and bowl gasket.
Is there a rebuild kit that has quality parts, or must I order peices individually?

IP Logged
DragBikeMike
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Honolulu
Reply #7 - 12/12/21 at 16:40:15

Order the parts individually.  Use only OEM needle jet and slide needle.  Genuine Mikuni jets are the safest way to go.  The aftermarket overhaul kits are sketchy at best.

Knowledge is power.
  IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
05/09/24 at 19:25:20

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › #80 Main Jet in a Savage?

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.